Daily Anarchist Forum
July 03, 2022, 03:36:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Help and advice  (Read 16673 times)
randallstevens

FREEDOM!

View Profile WWW
« on: July 24, 2012, 10:27:01 AM »

I plan on starting my own martial arts school soon and want to mix the anarchy theme into it. I'm leaning heavily towards naming it Anarchy Martial Arts and using the circle A as the logo with the school name encircling it. Any thoughts?

If anyone here can create a good logo, I need the help, as my artistic skills are nil.

He doesn't exist, except on paper.
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 10:29:45 AM »

That would be badass. Wish there were something like that in New Hampshire. Keep us updated!

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
dpalme
Solder Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 10:55:32 AM »

I feel like it could blend together well.

http://cur.lv/fgf0 <--- Accepting bitcoins!
Guardian

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 11:03:53 AM »

I plan on starting my own martial arts school soon and want to mix the anarchy theme into it. I'm leaning heavily towards naming it Anarchy Martial Arts and using the circle A as the logo with the school name encircling it. Any thoughts?

If anyone here can create a good logo, I need the help, as my artistic skills are nil.

I think it would be a poor business decision to use the Anarchist A (aka Circle-A). Many individuals will avoid walking into any place with what is deemed 'radical' iconography. I would avoid any obvious association with anarchism, or any political movement for that matter. Unfortunately, to the general public, anarchism is often viewed as being associated with violence and gang activity.  

I would form what would, in essence, be a standard martial arts school. However, once you establish a rapport with your pupils, you can gradually discuss topics as you wish.  
BobRobertson

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 11:39:36 AM »

The philosophy of individual responsibility, individual liberty, and voluntary cooperation, fits well with traditional martial arts.

I've liked the Bujinkan school.
MAM
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 01:35:42 PM »

If you use that symbol you will be decreasing your customer base because people get scared. But those customers that you do get will probably be more open to anarchy.

I think that the principles of an anarchist society would go well with martial arts.
rudolph

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 01:51:10 PM »

Hey!

This sounds like a great idea, however I am in agreement with the past few posts in that it would be a poor business decision. Perhaps using a play on your favorite anarchist name theory. (i.e. NAP martial arts, etc.)
ff42

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 07:29:20 PM »

Maybe you can include 'Anarchy' as a foreign language word "museifu", "ana-kizumu", "museifushugi", "ana-kisuto", etc.  Museifu Martial Arts has a certain ring to it.
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 04:52:52 PM »

You will probably end up with a lot of anarchists that are not ancap.  They will try to claim your school as their own, and not pay for training that they are entitled to have for free.

LegesNullae

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 10:59:36 PM »

You will probably end up with a lot of anarchists that are not ancap.  They will try to claim your school as their own, and not pay for training that they are entitled to have for free.

Now you're just being silly. Anarchists have always supported compensation for labor. Anarcho-capitalists didn't just make that up.

"It is easy to be conspicuously 'compassionate' if others are being forced to pay the cost." -Murray N. Rothbard
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 06:03:59 AM »

You will probably end up with a lot of anarchists that are not ancap.  They will try to claim your school as their own, and not pay for training that they are entitled to have for free.

Now you're just being silly. Anarchists have always supported compensation for labor. Anarcho-capitalists didn't just make that up.

If that is the case, then they completely fail to recognize the labor in food, education, shelter, healthcare etc.  
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 06:06:37 AM by Syock » Logged

Amagi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 01:01:16 PM »

I recommend freelancer.com.

Owner - Amagi Metals. Amagi Metals sells precious metals and advocates for free markets, financial responsibility, and gold as money. Now accepting Bitcoins.
randallstevens

FREEDOM!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 03:02:34 PM »

I recommend freelancer.com.

Thanks for the suggestion. I posted the job and am waiting to see if anyone bids. Awesome site!

helgibelgi

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 04:55:58 PM »

I agree that having the word 'anarchy' in the name is probably going to push people away. What about using another word instead? Something that basically represents the same way of thinking, just more socially acceptable word.

Freedom Martial Arts
Liberty Martial Arts
Independence MA
Self-Reliance MA
Autonomy MA

randallstevens

FREEDOM!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 05:19:20 PM »

I decided that if people are turned off by the name then they will probably be turned off by me, so fuck it. Anarchy Jiu Jitsu is born!

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: