Daily Anarchist Forum
October 16, 2019, 05:55:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Poll
Question: Would you do it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to volunteer - 7 (35%)
Yes, I'd do it if 10 to 49 others already agreed to do it - 0 (0%)
Yes, I'd do it if 50 to 99 others already agreed to do it - 1 (5%)
Yes, I'd do it if 100+ others already agreed to do it - 2 (10%)
No - 7 (35%)
Other (please specify) - 3 (15%)
Total Voters: 19

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: A New Land  (Read 23374 times)
Guardian

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2012, 12:33:09 AM »

I just don't feel like running underground where they can't see us is freedom. You still would pay taxes on everything you would buy on the surface, which would be virtually everything. Food, water, and energy are easy, but wouldn't you want your comforts and a normal life?

Your feelings are completely understandable. This idea of living underground would not be for everyone. Yes, someone on the surface would have to pay taxes for the surface land so that a community could live freely underground. I would be willing to bare that burden, but I know that not everyone would. The person would have to volunteer to be the Atlas for the group.

As to the issue of comfort, I do agree that, at first, sacrifices would have to be made. The way I see it, our current societal and economic structure is highly unstable, especially in the United States. One example is that some things, such as corn, oil, etc. are grossly under-priced due to subsidies. Other things are grossly overpriced due to government regulation. But more to the point, society underground would not look like society as it is now. For instance, people would consume less resources as resources are going to be alot more limited.

However, after a few generations, society will further change. What the city itself would look like is unknown to me. It could look like this, this, or something else entirely. As a student of anthropology, I can only begin to speculate on how society would look, behave, and act like. Oh sure, since it would be a voluntaryist society, there are some things you can assume. But other things are not so clear. How would a marriage look like? It would be voluntary of course, but how would it look like? How would people raise their children? What would happen to religion? Would there be status? How would status be shown? If this venture were to ever get put into action, it would interesting to say the least.
Guardian

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2013, 06:50:16 PM »

Recently, I have come to the conclusion that voluntaryism cannot be achieved while humanity is confined to a single planet. The institution of the State has existed on this planet for the past ten thousand years, and it is improbable that humanity will move towards a voluntaryistic society, in unison or even at all. Here in lies the problem, if everyone in the western hemisphere decided to become voluntaryists, the States of the eastern hemisphere would simply move in and conquer and subjugate the people of the western hemisphere.

Therefore, my most recent idea for colonization is as follows:

In my lifetime, I can only expect to see spacecraft that have the capability of transporting individuals within the confines of our solar system. Within one hundred or two years, humans may develop the technology to traverse to other nearby star systems, which in that case, I would encourage voluntaryists to seek refuge in those other star systems, hidden away from the rest of humanity.

As to during my lifetime, I will try and put energy into the effort of allowing self-sufficient colonies in our solar system. If you are a voluntaryist, such as myself, who does not possess the technical know how (engineering skills), there are ways to further the progress of space colonization. One such way to to fund organizations that research 'future' technologies, such as carbon nanotechnology and fusion reactor technology. Another such way is to build your own space industry business. One such individual was Richard Branson, who has assets in airlines, music, telecommunications, and space industries.

Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2013, 08:06:23 PM »

Here in lies the problem, if everyone in the western hemisphere decided to become voluntaryists, the States of the eastern hemisphere would simply move in and conquer and subjugate the people of the western hemisphere.

If you believe there is absolutely no defense against a state, why would a different planet be safe?  Why wouldn't they see the new planet as a goldmine of potential new subjects to control?

Guardian

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2013, 09:49:24 PM »

If you believe there is absolutely no defense against a state, why would a different planet be safe?  Why wouldn't they see the new planet as a goldmine of potential new subjects to control?

Oh absolutely they would. However, let us say that the technology to build sleeper ships with FTL technology is developed. Voluntaryists (or any political group) could build a few of these and send out their followers across the galaxy to the most remote parts of space, away from governments, states, etc.

But even with our level of technology, voluntaryists could forge a new land. If a group of voluntaryists built a self-sufficient colony on an isolated moon (ie: Europa or Titan) they would most likely be unharnessed by Earth governments for quite sometime. And hopefully by the time the Earth's government decide to take a more hostile interest in the voluntaryist colony, the voluntaryists would have developed the technology to either pacifisticly defend themselves (planetary shield) or flee further into space (via FTL technology).
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: