Daily Anarchist Forum
July 02, 2022, 01:23:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Guide to Astrology  (Read 12176 times)
Guardian

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2012, 11:08:51 PM »

Title Page:

History of Astrology (Antiquity):

History of Astrology (Medieval):

The Celestial Sphere

Aries

Taurus

Gemini

Cancer

Leo

Virgo

Libra

Scorpio

Sagittarius

Capricorn

Aquarius

Pisces

Final Page

Note: This thread's sole purpose is to educate others about astrology and the concepts behind it. If you disagree with what astrology presents, then state your argument in an educated manner. The use of the images used this thread fall under the fair use doctrine for the purposes of education and research. Also, when replying to the thread, do not include the pictures used in the original post as it makes the thread difficult to load.
MAM
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 01:34:55 AM »

Astrology: 1. The silly belief that arbitrarily defined constellations, present at the time of ones birth some how determine your fate, or personality. 2. A doctrine designed to propagate worship of the State. 3. Statism

MAM's Prerevolutionary Dictionary Volume One

ff42

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 11:28:14 AM »

Guardian,

Are you serious?  Why spam this list? What leads you to believe that we are incapable of going on (or off) line and researching this unscientific nonsense for ourselves if we wished to be 'educated'?   Do you have proof of this magical thinking?   
Guardian

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 12:10:18 PM »

Guardian,
Are you serious?  Why spam this list?

So just because I post something that you deem nonsense, that makes it spam? Oh, my sovereign lord, please forgive my insolence and arrogance.  Roll Eyes 

What leads you to believe that we are incapable of going on (or off) line and researching this unscientific nonsense for ourselves if we wished to be 'educated'? 

I never once asserted that the members of this forum were unable to conduct research. I simply wish to spread knowledge. To be educated, one must not only study the topics which they agree with, but also the topics that they disagree with.

Do you have proof of this magical thinking?

No, I never once asserted that I did.
Josh D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 02:48:46 PM »

So the top of my son's head was born under one astrological sign, and the rest of him was born under another.  (It was a long labor.)  I'm guessing about 45 to 58 percent of his brain was birthed under the first sign.

I feel bad for my baby boy.  It breaks my heart to know that he's going to have a split personality, two completely different sets of lucky numbers, and conflicting fates.

Sometimes, in order to comfort myself, I pretend that astrology isn't real.  I've been told that I'm reacting exactly the way most astrologers (as long as I tell them my birthday) predict I would react.
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 03:09:04 PM »

Before you guys all get judgmental you might care to know that astrology is a lot more than just zodiac signs. My understanding is that it's quite a bit more ecumenical.

For example, consider calenders. Most of the western world goes by the Gregorian Calender, a completely Christian creation. There are also Muslim Calenders and so on. But wouldn't it make sense to have a calender that better reflects the life cycles of nature?

I really don't know enough about it to defend it properly, although I used to attack it a lot more before I read this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Open-Head-Psychedelic-Contemporary/dp/0767907434/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342382769&sr=8-1&keywords=breaking+open+the+head

It's not a great book and I don't recommend anybody waste their time reading it, but the section of the book where he talks about calenders is really quite interesting and definitely has me longing for a better calender than the one we've got. Sort of like people who long for the metric system.

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 04:48:54 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwjvhnIg60o

"I like to eat. Instead of a monarch I propose we have a Chef be final arbiter in matters. We'll call it anarcho-chefism."
-MAM
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 09:48:41 PM »

That show does nothing for me. Never has. I don't know why either, because I like the fact that they are libertarians.

I don't know if they did it in the show, but most astrology attacks are ad hominems. Astrologists are phonies, yada yada.

It reminds me of John Stossel. Don't get me wrong, I love John Stossel, but sometimes he has a very narrow idea of things. For example, he rails against the anti-GMO/anti-radiating food crowd and shows how radiating food has no deleterious effects on the food for human consumption. And while he may be completely right about that, he doesn't see that radiation kills good bacteria along with the bad. He also did one episode where he thought the anti-pharma crowd was all wrong and totally tooted the horn of modern allopathic medicine.

So, when it comes to astrology I think many libertarians have a narrow view of things, despite the fact that many astrologists may be phonies.

Josh D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 08:17:42 AM »

So, when it comes to astrology I think many libertarians have a narrow view of things, despite the fact that many astrologists may be phonies.

Astrology is, quite literally, a theory about how the universe works.  It is a collection of ideas and also a mechanism which can be used to make predictions about, among other things, the way people behave.  Astrology makes actual claims about the universe.  The text linked to by the original poster says the following unambiguously:  the position of the planets has tangible effects on human life.

People who take astrology seriously make important life decisions based on the belief that astrology is true.  I'm not going to stay up late worrying about other people's potential mistakes.  However, if you value truth, you'd probably like know whether astrology actually lives up to its claims.

Does astrology actually work? The short answer is as follows:  No.

If you are interested seeing whether the claims made by astrology have been tested check out the following link.  There aren't any ad hominems either...

http://www.astrosociety.org/education/resources/pseudobib.html#1
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 11:15:56 AM »

Astrology is, quite literally, a theory about how the universe works.  It is a collection of ideas and also a mechanism which can be used to make predictions about, among other things, the way people behave.  Astrology makes actual claims about the universe.  The text linked to by the original poster says the following unambiguously:  the position of the planets has tangible effects on human life.

People who take astrology seriously make important life decisions based on the belief that astrology is true.  I'm not going to stay up late worrying about other people's potential mistakes.  However, if you value truth, you'd probably like know whether astrology actually lives up to its claims.

Does astrology actually work? The short answer is as follows:  No.

If you are interested seeing whether the claims made by astrology have been tested check out the following link.  There aren't any ad hominems either...

http://www.astrosociety.org/education/resources/pseudobib.html#1

The sun and the moon definitely have effects on humanity. Why not the stars? Granted, the effects may be infinitesimally small, but like persistent water running over rocks, it counts for something.

Josh D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 06:27:15 PM »

The sun and the moon definitely have effects on humanity. Why not the stars? Granted, the effects may be infinitesimally small, but like persistent water running over rocks, it counts for something.

I would not describe the astrological effects presented in the original post as being 'infinitesimally small'.

Also we don't have to use an analogy of water erosion on rocks to try and describe so called astrological effects.  Most astrologers (including whoever wrote the information in the original post) explicitly describe the testable predictions that astrology makes.  When these are brought under scientific scrutiny, they fail.  Astrology, in short, doesn't work as advertised.

An example from the text:

"The Libran makes an excellent and thoughtful host.  His home will be comfortable and pretty.  Guests will be greeted pleasantly and will find the atmosphere restorative and relaxing."

That's a bold testable claim.  Claims like this have been reviewed pretty thoroughly since the enlightenment and have been proven untrue.  Human variation is caused by a multitude of factors both environmental and genetic, and to the best of our ability to discern, astrology simply doesn't account for any of it.

If you are interested in specifics, check out my previous link or get to googling.
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 10:19:01 PM »

Whether or not one astrologist's description is inaccurate is moot. The real question is whether or not certain behaviors or characteristics are influenced by nature. And I think the answer is most definitely yes. Our environment affects us in ways unexplained by modern science. It could very well be that the cosmos affect humanity in a multitude of ways, but our Judeo-Christian culture shuns scientific research into the matter. Considering that the likes of Galileo and Copernicus were seen as heretics it could very well be that time vindicates the study of astrology, even if not some, most, or all modern astrologists.

MAM
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 11:00:24 PM »

You might be right Seth, I doubt it, seriously doubt, but who knows. I really don't think it's that important even if it is real.
Josh D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 11:14:55 PM »

Whether or not one astrologist's description is inaccurate is moot. The real question is whether or not certain behaviors or characteristics are influenced by nature.

I would love it if the only claim Astrologers made was that certain behaviors are influenced by nature.  You would look in the paper and read your horoscope, and it would say something like:

Gemini - Get up early this morning and be ready for your environment to affect the way you act and feel.  Keep doing what you are doing, but be aware that some of your characteristics are influenced by external natural forces.

Grin

Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 10:34:35 AM »

Whether or not one astrologist's description is inaccurate is moot. The real question is whether or not certain behaviors or characteristics are influenced by nature.

I would love it if the only claim Astrologers made was that certain behaviors are influenced by nature.  You would look in the paper and read your horoscope, and it would say something like:

Gemini - Get up early this morning and be ready for your environment to affect the way you act and feel.  Keep doing what you are doing, but be aware that some of your characteristics are influenced by external natural forces.

Grin

Ha! That'd be funny as shit!

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: