Daily Anarchist Forum
November 27, 2021, 01:02:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anarchocapitalism leads to Minarchism with Monopolies?  (Read 14913 times)
MAM

Life is Sacred

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2014, 12:24:36 AM »

True monopolies (beside the state) aren't that common even in this economy... the real danger is from cartels. The Coca Colas and PepsiCos of the world colluding together as Frenemies to root out the Royal Crown's and the Double Colas from the market.

Of course consolidations and mergers will also remain a significant problem... especially when taking the cartel factor into account.

The greatest danger however is that a monopoly entity does not have to raise a private army to become an oppressive de facto state. When you have a lock on resources that other people desperately need you can be quite coercive without needing to resort to (direct) physical violence.

What? 

Are you suggesting there is a potential cartel of Pepsi and Coca-Cola that would be an oppressive de-facto state, with resources that others desperately need? 

They'd have to change their business model but I think it could be done if they wanted it.

"A stone is heavy and the sand is weighty but a fool's wrath is heavier than them both"-Tuek

"Knowledge is power, and it's light weight. The more you know the less you need."-Cody Lundin

"Hey... it's a haiku

Democracy is
Two Zombies and a Sheriff
Deciding on Lunch."-Davi Barker
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2014, 01:21:42 AM »

They'd have to change their business model but I think it could be done if they wanted it.

I look forward to hearing of this cola state, where we all bend to the will of the soda companies. 

loveablenerd

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2014, 09:12:16 PM »

I look forward to hearing of this cola state, where we all bend to the will of the soda companies. 

You guys do understand that the soda thing was an example, of how cartels work in today's world to keep the smaller players out of the market.

A much better and much more dangerous real world example is the huge banking cartels that currently have a cartopoly on the world's money supply... Absolutely control of quadrillion of artificial tokens that you couldn't even eat to avoid starvation or burn to keep warm beyond a few seconds in the freezing cold, yet without which the real economy grinds to a screeching halt.
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2014, 11:09:10 PM »

You guys do understand that the soda thing was an example, of how cartels work in today's world to keep the smaller players out of the market.

A much better and much more dangerous real world example is the huge banking cartels that currently have a cartopoly on the world's money supply... Absolutely control of quadrillion of artificial tokens that you couldn't even eat to avoid starvation or burn to keep warm beyond a few seconds in the freezing cold, yet without which the real economy grinds to a screeching halt.

I understand perfectly well it was an example.  I believe it was a completely false example with zero basis in reality, therefore useless as an example.  The reality is they do not have any such capability to do as was proposed in the example.  It is unable to be applied to anything. 

Banks are not an -opoly either.  There are hundreds if not thousands of banks in one country alone.   They do not have absolute control of anything. 

loveablenerd

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2014, 09:37:45 AM »

I understand perfectly well it was an example.  I believe it was a completely false example with zero basis in reality, therefore useless as an example.  The reality is they do not have any such capability to do as was proposed in the example.  It is unable to be applied to anything.  

Banks are not an -opoly either.  There are hundreds if not thousands of banks in one country alone.   They do not have absolute control of anything.  

Virtually every country in the world (with the exception of a few "rogue" nations that are likely designated as this because they don't sell their constituents souls to the banksters) follows the central banking model, the best example being the US "Federal" "Reserve" which is not Federal (it's a private corp) and has no reserves (it's all fiat currency, created by stroke of the pen). They have an absolute lock on the issue of dollars (Federal Reserve notes) and if you say that doesn't give them a lock on basically everything else then try to live more than a few days without using their money.

Yes there are a few limited supply alternate currencies like bitcoin (that the bankster's enforcement arm, the state is desperately trying to demonize and stamp out) and the now defunct Liverty Dollar (which they succeeded in stamping out along with imprisoning its founder on trumped up charges... AND impounded/stole all of the privately owned silver and gold from their vaults that the LD was backed by).

Small bank branches do exist though the vast majority of them are branches of large chains and they along with the few regional and local independent chains left are still completely subject to the FDIC and interest rates as set by the Fed.

Oh but that is only because of corrupt state regulation, right?

Sadly that is only a partial explanation... The reality is that every state is merely the enforcement arm of the people behind the scenes controlling the purse strings. Meyer Rothschild: "give me control of a nation's money supply and I care not who makes the laws." I.E., overthrow one state and they will just prop up another one. The only way to go stateless is to also go classless... that doesn't have to mean getting rid of he individuals, but it does necessitate rendering them powerless.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 09:43:40 AM by loveablenerd » Logged
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2014, 10:15:42 AM »

Sadly that is only a partial explanation... The reality is that every state is merely the enforcement arm of the people behind the scenes controlling the purse strings. Meyer Rothschild: "give me control of a nation's money supply and I care not who makes the laws." I.E., overthrow one state and they will just prop up another one. The only way to go stateless is to also go classless... that doesn't have to mean getting rid of he individuals, but it does necessitate rendering them powerless.

It wasn't an explanation, it was a rant against government while initially blaming private companies that have no control.  It would be like me saying all the construction workers in the country are controlling things, because they have to follow building regulations and OSHA.  There is a break in the logic there. 

Classless?  I am afraid to ask, but care to explain what you mean by that?

MAM

Life is Sacred

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2014, 02:26:55 PM »

It wasn't an explanation, it was a rant against government while initially blaming private companies that have no control.  It would be like me saying all the construction workers in the country are controlling things, because they have to follow building regulations and OSHA.  There is a break in the logic there. 

Classless?  I am afraid to ask, but care to explain what you mean by that?

Governments whether they're dictated or democratic have to manipulate public opinion. In a sense people control their government because no government exists without support. Of course that control is fairly limited.

"A stone is heavy and the sand is weighty but a fool's wrath is heavier than them both"-Tuek

"Knowledge is power, and it's light weight. The more you know the less you need."-Cody Lundin

"Hey... it's a haiku

Democracy is
Two Zombies and a Sheriff
Deciding on Lunch."-Davi Barker
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2014, 04:04:35 PM »

Governments whether they're dictated or democratic have to manipulate public opinion. In a sense people control their government because no government exists without support. Of course that control is fairly limited.

How exactly does that relate to the issue of a group of private businesses supposedly being a de-facto government, outside or replacing the existing government?

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: