Daily Anarchist Forum
October 26, 2021, 02:40:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Ancap apps?  (Read 8322 times)
dpalme
Solder Monkey

View Profile
« on: June 21, 2012, 09:47:32 PM »

Anyone know of any decent ancap apps I can get for my iPod? I have the LRC app and it's great. I'd love to get more.

http://cur.lv/fgf0 <--- Accepting bitcoins!
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 11:27:55 PM »

Need to get a smart phone before I can start recommending apps.  Sad

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
assasin7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 03:08:27 AM »

that rhymes

"owning a fire arm, that's a hanging offense"
"then go hang yourself"
Aegidius
Abuser of italics and semicolons

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 03:22:42 AM »

Anyone know of any decent ancap apps I can get for my iPod? I have the LRC app and it's great. I'd love to get more.

I have the LRC app too.  There's also an "Unofficial Mises App" that does pretty much the same thing as the LRC one, but for Mises.org.  That's all I have that's explicitly ancap, but some really neat general apps are:
Textnow, which allows you to send and receive text messages with a number they assign you.  The only price is seeing advertisements.  Yes, it will work on an ipod touch if you have wifi.  I use it on my phone and never pay for text service.
Prompt, if you're into computers, is an excellent SSH client.  I think this one is paid.
PocketCloud is a VNC client.  VNC lets you forward the monitor outputs from one computer to another, and send back mouse and keyboard inputs.  I use this as a remote for my tv-computer.
KissMyAgent allows you to spoof websites into giving you their regular versions, rather than those damn mobile ones.
Pseudo Random Number Generator's name is very descriptive.  Much more convenient than flipping coins or rolling dice.

And, if you're jailbroken:
SBSettings is indispensible.  Get it.  It lets you get a pulldown menu by swiping the top of the screen from which you can control the device's main settings.  It's much more convenient than mucking around in apple's menus.
SNES9x lets you play any super nintendo game on your ipod/iphone.  Awesome if you're into that kind of thing.  Touch controls can be awkward.
OpenSSH.  Prompt only gives you the client.  This baby gives you the daemon, so you can log in remotely and actually get a command line.  With this you can directly access your filesystem and add, remove, or edit whatever you want.  SBSettings makes turning the daemon on and off very easy, if you're security conscious.

Need to get a smart phone before I can start recommending apps.  Sad

If you get an iphone, just make damn sure it has a software version that can be jailbroken, as iOS is terribly restrictive.  You know that feeling Linux gives you of being in control of the machine?  iOS does the opposite.  I can't speak from experience about any other smartphone operating systems, unfortunately.  

"I need not say how eager we are to trade with you and your kind!  Now, how can I be of service to you?"
LegesNullae

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 12:27:11 PM »

There's one for Freedomain Radio, which is pretty okay.

"It is easy to be conspicuously 'compassionate' if others are being forced to pay the cost." -Murray N. Rothbard
dpalme
Solder Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 04:29:22 PM »

I have the LRC app too.  There's also an "Unofficial Mises App" that does pretty much the same thing as the LRC one, but for Mises.org.  That's all I have that's explicitly ancap, but some really neat general apps are:
Textnow, which allows you to send and receive text messages with a number they assign you.  The only price is seeing advertisements.  Yes, it will work on an ipod touch if you have wifi.  I use it on my phone and never pay for text service.
Prompt, if you're into computers, is an excellent SSH client.  I think this one is paid.
PocketCloud is a VNC client.  VNC lets you forward the monitor outputs from one computer to another, and send back mouse and keyboard inputs.  I use this as a remote for my tv-computer.
KissMyAgent allows you to spoof websites into giving you their regular versions, rather than those damn mobile ones.
Pseudo Random Number Generator's name is very descriptive.  Much more convenient than flipping coins or rolling dice.

And, if you're jailbroken:
SBSettings is indispensible.  Get it.  It lets you get a pulldown menu by swiping the top of the screen from which you can control the device's main settings.  It's much more convenient than mucking around in apple's menus.
SNES9x lets you play any super nintendo game on your ipod/iphone.  Awesome if you're into that kind of thing.  Touch controls can be awkward.
OpenSSH.  Prompt only gives you the client.  This baby gives you the daemon, so you can log in remotely and actually get a command line.  With this you can directly access your filesystem and add, remove, or edit whatever you want.  SBSettings makes turning the daemon on and off very easy, if you're security conscious.

Need to get a smart phone before I can start recommending apps.  Sad

If you get an iphone, just make damn sure it has a software version that can be jailbroken, as iOS is terribly restrictive.  You know that feeling Linux gives you of being in control of the machine?  iOS does the opposite.  I can't speak from experience about any other smartphone operating systems, unfortunately.  

Score. I'll have to try out the Texting one. I'm too cheap to get texting on my phone, and my friends hate it. That seems like it'll do the trick.

JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 06:46:13 PM »

It seems like paying for phone service and texting is a giant scam. Why don't we just have smart "phones" that are really just computers, skip out on the phone part, and then utilize wireless internet to chat that way? Am I missing something, or is there some weird social force keeping that from happening?

"I like to eat. Instead of a monarch I propose we have a Chef be final arbiter in matters. We'll call it anarcho-chefism."
-MAM
dpalme
Solder Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 08:21:14 PM »

It seems like paying for phone service and texting is a giant scam. Why don't we just have smart "phones" that are really just computers, skip out on the phone part, and then utilize wireless internet to chat that way? Am I missing something, or is there some weird social force keeping that from happening?

Dude, skip the smart phone, get one of the newer iPod touch's, they have a microphone built in them. This Texting app have phone call applications too (you get five minutes free then you can pay for additional credits). The ipod's are cheaper (I'm pretty sure anyway).

Aegidius
Abuser of italics and semicolons

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 10:08:08 PM »

You can pay or you can watch ads and click on promotions and stuff.  I've never used the voice call feature myself, but it's cool that it exists.

Paying for texting is a terrible deal.  There's a lot less information being transmitted than with a voice call, why on earth would I pay extra for it?

As far as paying for phone service, if you had access to wifi everywhere you wanted to use the phone then this app would be an adequate substitute.  Personally, I find most networks I see around town are secured.  I pretty much just have connectivity at home or at school.  Elsewhere the cell service comes in handy.

If you have consistant access to wifi, though, you could get phone and text service without paying a dime.

"I need not say how eager we are to trade with you and your kind!  Now, how can I be of service to you?"
JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 11:49:32 AM »

Yeah. Can't you pay for one of those 4G USB devices where you get wireless all over for some monthly fee? That would effectively give you internet, phone, texting, video conferencing all for the price of internet alone.

"I like to eat. Instead of a monarch I propose we have a Chef be final arbiter in matters. We'll call it anarcho-chefism."
-MAM
dpalme
Solder Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 11:50:45 AM »

Yeah. Can't you pay for one of those 4G USB devices where you get wireless all over for some monthly fee? That would effectively give you internet, phone, texting, video conferencing all for the price of internet alone.

That's exactly what I was thinking. You'd have to lug around a laptop presumably, but that's a small price to pay in my opinion.

JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 11:59:14 AM »

That's exactly what I was thinking. You'd have to lug around a laptop presumably, but that's a small price to pay in my opinion.
I don't know a ton about smartphones, but if you had it "cracked," then isn't it pretty much just a computer? Now suppose you cancel your phone subscription, and buy one of those 4G cards....That assumes smartphones have USB ports, but I don't know...

-MAM
dpalme
Solder Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 12:24:20 PM »

I don't they do, but I'm not sure. If they did, I would think they would be the micro usb sizes.

SinCityVoluntaryist
Left Rothbardian against the corporate state; Ron Paulian against the empire

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 03:07:35 PM »

Palme, which LRC app do you have? Is it the one with "A" wrapped around the circle or the one with half of Lew Rockwell's face in the picture? If you have the former, upgrade to the latter. The latter one not only gives you the articles, it will also give you access to Lew's radio blogs and Facebook page.

Freedomain Radio's app is also awesome.

<iframe src="http://c4ss.org/c4ssnews/js1.0/c4ssnewsobject.html?ctc=eef467&clc=f4f367" id="c4niframe" width="160" height="360" style="margin: 0px;" scrolling="no" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Support the Molinari Institute:
http://praxeology.net/molinari.htm
dpalme
Solder Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2012, 03:26:07 PM »

I have the lew's face app. It's pretty damn awesome. Still gotta get the FDR one.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: