Daily Anarchist Forum
October 26, 2021, 02:36:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ancap apps?  (Read 8321 times)
dpalme
Solder Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2012, 09:03:26 PM »

Yeah. Can't you pay for one of those 4G USB devices where you get wireless all over for some monthly fee? That would effectively give you internet, phone, texting, video conferencing all for the price of internet alone.

That's exactly what I was thinking. You'd have to lug around a laptop presumably, but that's a small price to pay in my opinion.
I don't know a ton about smartphones, but if you had it "cracked," then isn't it pretty much just a computer? Now suppose you cancel your phone subscription, and buy one of those 4G cards....That assumes smartphones have USB ports, but I don't know...

Y'know, I just started thinking. Those portable wifi boxes that plug into your laptop may just use the USB for it's 5V supply. If that's the case, it could easily be modified to run off a few AA batteries.

http://cur.lv/fgf0 <--- Accepting bitcoins!
SinCityVoluntaryist
Left Rothbardian against the corporate state; Ron Paulian against the empire

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 12:41:17 PM »

Anyone ever consider creating a DA app for iOS?

<iframe src="http://c4ss.org/c4ssnews/js1.0/c4ssnewsobject.html?ctc=eef467&clc=f4f367" id="c4niframe" width="160" height="360" style="margin: 0px;" scrolling="no" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Support the Molinari Institute:
http://praxeology.net/molinari.htm
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 12:44:52 PM »

I've been told before by others that I need to create apps. Unfortunately, I don't have the faintest clue how to do it, so it doesn't get done. Maybe one day when I get a smart phone I'll better understand the whole apps thing and get on it. Until then, the site suffers.

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
dpalme
Solder Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2012, 12:55:38 PM »

I've been told before by others that I need to create apps. Unfortunately, I don't have the faintest clue how to do it, so it doesn't get done. Maybe one day when I get a smart phone I'll better understand the whole apps thing and get on it. Until then, the site suffers.

I've heard that a lot of app creators will make you a free app as long as they can put up and add for their services on it.

http://cur.lv/fgf0 <--- Accepting bitcoins!
braindead0
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2012, 01:04:39 PM »

I've heard that a lot of app creators will make you a free app as long as they can put up and add for their services on it.
And you'll get what ya pay for.

The whole 'make an app for everything' craze is getting tired, and in the case of crapple it mostly serves to feed their inbred 'society' as it attempts to force every developer to purchase a Mac (your code has to be compiled with xcode). 

99% of the time the app is no better than just using the browser from what I've seen.  We develop one here and I still think it's a waste of time, but we do it because the consuming public excepts everything to be an app....

Does this site not look right on 'smart' phones?  That can be fixed, and doing so is a far better plan than creating apps IMO.

/minirant (not really much of a rant ;-)

« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 01:07:15 PM by braindead0 » Logged
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2012, 01:14:19 PM »

The whole 'make an app for everything' craze is getting tired, and in the case of crapple it mostly serves to feed their inbred 'society' as it attempts to force every developer to purchase a Mac (your code has to be compiled with xcode). 

99% of the time the app is no better than just using the browser from what I've seen.  We develop one here and I still think it's a waste of time, but we do it because the consuming public excepts everything to be an app....

Does this site not look right on 'smart' phones?  That can be fixed, and doing so is a far better plan than creating apps IMO.

This is sort of my attitude as well, but I've gotten angry emails from people telling me to create an app for this site because they only visit while on their phone.

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
braindead0
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2012, 01:36:05 PM »

This is sort of my attitude as well, but I've gotten angry emails from people telling me to create an app for this site because they only visit while on their phone.
Is it that the site isn't phone browser friendly?  I forget if SMF supports tapatalk, I think that's the standard for browsing/responding to forum posts...

Or is this just for the DA front page content?  If that's the case it shouldn't be too hard to fixup the site css/html to be more phone friendly.  I've only done that kinda thing for one client and strictly for blackberry devices, so probably not much help from me ;-)

Perhaps direct them to RSS/feedburner..   

It seems to me there are alternatives to an app that would be just as good?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 01:39:07 PM by braindead0 » Logged
Will

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2012, 07:44:27 PM »

Not worth it. Apple is going to charge you something like a $100 a year to have it in the app store and you're going to need a Mac to do the programming/testing on.

A mobile version of the website is a much better way to go. Though in my experience the current website isn't that bad on a phone, the banner links oddly require double clicking to work, but other than that the experience is pretty smooth.
Aegidius
Abuser of italics and semicolons

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2012, 09:18:51 PM »

I'm posting this from my phone, everything looks/works just fine.

"I need not say how eager we are to trade with you and your kind!  Now, how can I be of service to you?"
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: