Daily Anarchist Forum
October 21, 2019, 06:11:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: anarchist terrorism  (Read 9059 times)
Coltan L.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2012, 10:05:13 AM »

"Once you label me you negate me." Søren Kierkegaard said that. I think its legit. Everytime I have to clarify my anarchist label with "books not bombs/bricks" I get pissed. By most definitions I'm an anarchist. My bad understanding of etymology says that means "without a leader/ruler". However, I think any title that defines you by a negative action or the absence of something is silly.  I'm nominally an atheist, but I also don't believe in a lot of other shit. I don't believe in Santa, spaghetti monsters, Satan, Xenu, Mormon Transcontinental Jesus etc.  I don't know if that's all covered under atheist but I doubt it.

Just like world-traveling Jesus, the State does not exist. Its not real. There are just a lot of jerks with guns and badges, as a wise man pointed out. So defining yourself by its negative is only slightly less silly than actually believing in it. *Especially* when the word anarchist is sullied by bomb throwers.  I throw no bombs. Just because I agree with some certain things with the bomb throwers doesn't mean I want anything to do with their title.  Many of them also wear pants as I do.

There are other words, Autarchist or Voluntaryist. Euphonically, they are shit and I'm not excited about them. I'm not looking for a replacement; if someone comes up with something accurate and badass sounding I will consider it.  Even then...
Josh D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2012, 07:40:59 PM »

"Once you label me you negate me." Søren Kierkegaard said that. I think its legit. Everytime I have to clarify my anarchist label with "books not bombs/bricks" I get pissed. By most definitions I'm an anarchist. My bad understanding of etymology says that means "without a leader/ruler". However, I think any title that defines you by a negative action or the absence of something is silly.  I'm nominally an atheist, but I also don't believe in a lot of other shit. I don't believe in Santa, spaghetti monsters, Satan, Xenu, Mormon Transcontinental Jesus etc.  I don't know if that's all covered under atheist but I doubt it.

Just like world-traveling Jesus, the State does not exist. Its not real. There are just a lot of jerks with guns and badges, as a wise man pointed out. So defining yourself by its negative is only slightly less silly than actually believing in it. *Especially* when the word anarchist is sullied by bomb throwers.  I throw no bombs. Just because I agree with some certain things with the bomb throwers doesn't mean I want anything to do with their title.  Many of them also wear pants as I do.

There are other words, Autarchist or Voluntaryist. Euphonically, they are shit and I'm not excited about them. I'm not looking for a replacement; if someone comes up with something accurate and badass sounding I will consider it.  Even then...

Awesome Post!

I feel the same way, I'm an aunicornist as well.  I'd like to think of something positive rather then negative to describe my anarchism as well.  I'm worried if the terminology is forced you might get something like "brights", which was supposed to be an atheist substitute.  Dan Dennett talks about it some, but I'm not a big fan.  http://www.the-brights.net/movement/videos/BrightsTalk.html

Voluntaryist sounds strange in my ears.  I get the feeling that someone who is a voluntaryist really likes picking up litter off the sides of the highway or helping old ladies across the street or something like that.
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2012, 08:06:40 PM »

I sympathize with not wanting to call yourself a negative, but all of the other popular labels that exist are total non-starters.

If I tell somebody I'm a voluntaryist or agorist, they think "eh, that's nice" and move right along, because there are frankly a million different labels out there that people use and most of them are boring as shit. Nobody really cares.

But when I use the term "anarchist" it often elicits all sorts of reactions. I don't care if they're bad, as long as they are engaged enough to discuss things. That's what really hurting humanity, so few people are engaged enough to care.

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
dpalme
Solder Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2012, 08:54:49 PM »

But when I use the term "anarchist" it often elicits all sorts of reactions. I don't care if they're bad, as long as they are engaged enough to discuss things. That's what really hurting humanity, so few people are engaged enough to care.

Exactly! Even if someone freaks out and thinks you're for smashing Starbucks windows, it's a conversation starter and a chance to convert!

http://cur.lv/fgf0 <--- Accepting bitcoins!
Coltan L.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2012, 04:47:27 AM »

I almost want to go the opposite direction. On the forums and among friends I can "let my hair down" or whatever and call myself an anarchist. I try not to drop that bomb with strangers.

I will totally admit its super fun when someone puts all your premises together and gasps, "but that'd be Anarchy!"  To which you you gotta answer, "so?"

So I do see your point, I'm still a little insecure after the Seattle May Day. I was embarrassed to be associated with "them" even indirectly.  That might just be my problem
Josh D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2012, 03:03:57 PM »

I sympathize with not wanting to call yourself a negative, but all of the other popular labels that exist are total non-starters.

For the record, I call myself an anarchist when asked.

I did panic once when a cute girl asked me about my political leanings.  I think I said, "uh.... uh, I'm an uh.... an... uh.... an <cough>anarchist<cough>"

David Giessel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2012, 05:16:07 PM »

I like to pull out a piece of paper (always have one on me) and a pen (always have one on me) and slowly (for effect) draw an A and put a circle around it. Then I sit back and wait for them to say it.

3/3 positive reactions. One guy told me in a surprised tone that he'd never met an Anarchist who'd read a book before. Or maybe that was intended as an insult. 2/3. :-D

"Acquire a peaceful spirit, and thousands around you will be saved." -Seraphim of Sarov

"There is no ideology. There is no guru. There is only us, and this, and the silence." -Mark Manson
Josh D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2012, 05:20:37 PM »

I like to pull out a piece of paper (always have one on me) and a pen (always have one on me) and slowly (for effect) draw an A and put a circle around it. Then I sit back and wait for them to say it.

3/3 positive reactions. One guy told me in a surprised tone that he'd never met an Anarchist who'd read a book before. Or maybe that was intended as an insult. 2/3. :-D

That would explain that time when I asked that one guy to describe himself.

He pulled out a piece of paper and a thick purple felt tipped marker, and then slowly drew a penis.  He then sat back and looked at me with an expression of expectation. 

Awkward...
David Giessel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2012, 06:10:28 PM »

That would explain that time when I asked that one guy to describe himself.

He pulled out a piece of paper and a thick purple felt tipped marker, and then slowly drew a penis.  He then sat back and looked at me with an expression of expectation. 

Awkward...

"Acquire a peaceful spirit, and thousands around you will be saved." -Seraphim of Sarov

"There is no ideology. There is no guru. There is only us, and this, and the silence." -Mark Manson
Kinglord of Castle Manufactoria

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2012, 11:36:48 AM »

I flirted with the idea of using "Voluntaryist/Voluntarist" a bit.
I found that I valued the tax serf's reaction to the term "anarchist" on a very lulzy level.

Maintaining ideological purity in the "movement" & using the right words doesn't much matter to me on any serious level. I realize that much like religious magic, our magic words don't seriously effect people who don't believe they hold power. Once people start doing a minimal amount of reading, sure, they get a little bit of it. Our magic words work on them. We can pull spells from a Hoppe essay to win a debate, to sway a heart/mind. That only works if the people involved aren't agnostic to our belief structure. "Anarchy" effects most people the way "Hell" & "Eternal Damnation" do. It's an abstract fear that they can quickly move out of their brain.

I've started throwing around "Anarcho-nihilist", because, as I've said, our magic doesn't matter to 99% of the unwashed heathen statist hordes who exist outside our philosophical mage tower.
JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2012, 12:02:06 PM »

our magic doesn't matter to 99% of the unwashed heathen statist hordes who exist outside our philosophical mage tower.
How can we make it matter? Are there any financial services companies that utilize austrian insights into macroeconomics to build portfolios? If it's true that our understanding of the world is right, then we ought to be able to make money off it. If everyone else is so far off base, there should be price discrepancies that only this fringe group can find. I'm just saying, that would be good for market anarchism. Imagine the marketing of an ancap mutual fund. Make the magic worth something.

"I like to eat. Instead of a monarch I propose we have a Chef be final arbiter in matters. We'll call it anarcho-chefism."
-MAM
Kinglord of Castle Manufactoria

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2012, 12:38:33 PM »

Make the magic worth something.
I'm sure an ancap in a financial industry position(or just one with a better understanding of said hedge wizardry than I) could employ the principles of Austrian economics to do all kinds of fun, profitable shit.

Regarding the magic being worth something, it is. That something just happens to be highly subjective. It's worth something to me because it is a functional/preferable way to exist. It nets me self satisfaction for now, probably wealth later.
For now, if acquiring vast amounts of wealth is your goal, learn to make money off of statists.
Use their fear/irrationality against them. It's a huge resource. Other statists have figured out market niches, survivalist/fear mongers have figured out a niche, etc etc.
Once you do that, not only do you A. Get mad duckets, you also B. Get to spend said duckets on some facet of the counter economy.(if you want, if that's your thing, etc)
Coltan L.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2012, 07:43:05 PM »

If everyone else is so far off base, there should be price discrepancies that only this fringe group can find. I'm just saying, that would be good for market anarchism. Imagine the marketing of an ancap mutual fund. Make the magic worth something.

Stranger in a Strange Land by Heinlein.  The main character's followers do exactly this.

I don't think we're in the same boat exactly.  Or at least our discovery is not as profound as those of Mike's earthling followers.  The way I see it, by embracing Ancap you've gotten yourself back to zero. 

Immersed in traditional societal/economical?/politikal views you are a substandard human being.  By substandard I mean by capability and not standard compared to society. If that makes sense. You are dumber and poorer than you could be without distortions.

By discarding all the bullshit we have mercilessly heaped on us as Americans or Westerners, we get back to 0.  Now we can focus our efforts on positive shit. Its certainly no guarantee of success of any kind. 0 is mega close to being negative again. (Shut up math nerds).

When I was a rightish Cato Libertarian, I thought I could join the State Department and change it from within.  Duuuuuuumb.  The Honduras fiasco happened (in '09?) because of our shitty State Department and i discarded that myth. I avoided a disaster instead of receiving a windfall.   

I think we have certain insights that others may not. Someone I used to do political campaigns with tried to get me all fired up about local elections.  She's pretty hot, I still could not feign interest. So one benefit is I will never wave signs again, or have to pretend a hot chick's FOTM candidate isn't a pile of dogshit.

Honestly though, if you want to have a statistically significant higher chance of success I suggest you be Asian-American, or Mormon.
JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2012, 12:18:06 AM »

If everyone else is so far off base, there should be price discrepancies that only this fringe group can find. I'm just saying, that would be good for market anarchism. Imagine the marketing of an ancap mutual fund. Make the magic worth something.

Stranger in a Strange Land by Heinlein.  The main character's followers do exactly this.

I don't think we're in the same boat exactly.  Or at least our discovery is not as profound as those of Mike's earthling followers.  The way I see it, by embracing Ancap you've gotten yourself back to zero. 

Immersed in traditional societal/economical?/politikal views you are a substandard human being.  By substandard I mean by capability and not standard compared to society. If that makes sense. You are dumber and poorer than you could be without distortions.

By discarding all the bullshit we have mercilessly heaped on us as Americans or Westerners, we get back to 0.  Now we can focus our efforts on positive shit. Its certainly no guarantee of success of any kind. 0 is mega close to being negative again. (Shut up math nerds).

When I was a rightish Cato Libertarian, I thought I could join the State Department and change it from within.  Duuuuuuumb.  The Honduras fiasco happened (in '09?) because of our shitty State Department and i discarded that myth. I avoided a disaster instead of receiving a windfall.   

I think we have certain insights that others may not. Someone I used to do political campaigns with tried to get me all fired up about local elections.  She's pretty hot, I still could not feign interest. So one benefit is I will never wave signs again, or have to pretend a hot chick's FOTM candidate isn't a pile of dogshit.

Honestly though, if you want to have a statistically significant higher chance of success I suggest you be Asian-American, or Mormon.
post of the year.

"I like to eat. Instead of a monarch I propose we have a Chef be final arbiter in matters. We'll call it anarcho-chefism."
-MAM
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: