Daily Anarchist Forum
October 21, 2019, 06:11:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: anarchist terrorism  (Read 9060 times)
assasin7

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2012, 09:42:11 PM »

That every act of political violence should nowadays be attributed to anarchists is not at all surprising. Yet it is a fact known to almost everyone familiar with the anarchist movement that a great number of acts, for which anarchists had to suffer, either originated with the capitalist press or were instigated, if not directly perpetrated, by the police. For a number of years acts of violence had been committed in Spain, for which the anarchists were held responsible, hounded like wild beasts, and thrown into prison. Later it was disclosed that the perpetrators of these acts were not anarchists, but members of the police department. This is one of the many striking examples of how anarchist conspiracies are manufactured. That the American police can perjure themselves with the same ease, that they are just as merciless, just as brutal and cunning as their European colleagues, has been proven on more than one occasion. We need only recall the tragedy of May 4th, 1886, known as the Haymarket Riot here in Chicago, no less. No one who is at all familiar with the case can possibly doubt that the anarchists, judicially murdered in Chicago, died as victims of a lying, blood-thirsty press and of a cruel police conspiracy. The Judge of the case himself said: "Not because you have caused the Haymarket bomb, but because you are anarchists, you are on trial."- Emma Goldman, psychology of political violence

I know when I was younger I wanted to smash that jewlery store for selling blood diamonds, and I will admit I shop lifted from CVS for crimes in the third world (NATO backed stealing of resources). Elsewhere in the essay she talks about how the violence is the cruelty of society breaking the cutie, its well worth reading, as is any thing by her.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 09:47:52 PM by assasin7 » Logged

"owning a fire arm, that's a hanging offense"
"then go hang yourself"
dpalme
Solder Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 09:54:47 PM »

Intriguing. Any links to where the entire thing can be read online, or is it just in book form?

http://cur.lv/fgf0 <--- Accepting bitcoins!
assasin7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 10:08:21 PM »

http://ucblibrary3.berkeley.edu/goldman/Writings/Anarchism/violence.html

"then go hang yourself"
dpalme
Solder Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 10:59:53 PM »

Thanks!

http://cur.lv/fgf0 <--- Accepting bitcoins!
assasin7

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 11:03:44 PM »

Emma is great because you can read her works and not feel like you need a social scientist to english dictionary, this is what makes anarchism great, it makes sense in plain english

"then go hang yourself"
JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 02:20:47 PM »

That is a very appropriate block of text. I think we'll start to hear that theme ring louder and louder as time goes by, as a way of countering the success anarchists (especially market anarchists) have had in making people aware of stateless alternatives.

"I like to eat. Instead of a monarch I propose we have a Chef be final arbiter in matters. We'll call it anarcho-chefism."
-MAM
Anonymous Infowarrior

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 08:34:38 AM »

I've actually started to agree with agorists on quite a few things. In fact, I think I'm almost an agorist convert.
Just thought y'all should know
AgoristTeen1994

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 01:04:09 PM »

That is a very appropriate block of text. I think we'll start to hear that theme ring louder and louder as time goes by, as a way of countering the success anarchists (especially market anarchists) have had in making people aware of stateless alternatives.

? Sorry but could you be a little more clear? I'm running on 1 hour of sleep in the past 2 days.....so....yeah. Be more clear. Tongue

JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 06:25:41 PM »

? Sorry but could you be a little more clear? I'm running on 1 hour of sleep in the past 2 days.....so....yeah. Be more clear. Tongue
The quote posted by assassin7 is very true, even today. If I had to guess, I would say that governments are going to continue to blame anarchists as the new scapegoats (like with the recent anarchist terror plot). People are immune to the term "terrorism" now, they don't react in quite the same way. They need a new fear word, and they don't want it to bring up images of people living thousands of miles away....they want it to come from within (it's more believable and more frightening that way). I think anarchism is it. Whenever possible, the bad guys are going to be labeled anarchists from now on. Or they'll at least start phasing out the term terrorism and switching to anarchism...maybe even combining them as they did recently. Watch for it. Let's see in the next few years how frequently the term anarchist gets tossed around.

But it's not just because terrorism isn't scary anymore. I actually think that market anarchism is becoming more popular. Anarchist is no longer a title reserved for economically illiterate whiners who have no real influence on anyone. It's not just the "occupation" type folks who live in their own subcultures and influence no one else. Competent, intelligent people who remain somewhat within normal society are converting people who were previously political. The pace is slow, but still somewhat surprising. When did you all become anarchists? How many people do you know who are anarchists? How many people have you converted to anarchism? Compare these numbers with what you would have said x years ago.

"I like to eat. Instead of a monarch I propose we have a Chef be final arbiter in matters. We'll call it anarcho-chefism."
-MAM
AgoristTeen1994

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 02:17:50 AM »

Ah now I see what you mean

assasin7

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 11:08:00 AM »

Anarchist is no longer a title reserved for economically illiterate whiners who have no real influence on anyone. It's not just the "occupation" type folks who live in their own subcultures and influence no one else. [/quote]

gee thanks

"then go hang yourself"
JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 08:15:10 PM »

Anarchist is no longer a title reserved for economically illiterate whiners who have no real influence on anyone. It's not just the "occupation" type folks who live in their own subcultures and influence no one else.

gee thanks
Yeah, admittedly my comment doesn't help inter-anarchist unity, but they don't come here anyways. That's honestly how I see it though. Because of ancoms, the word anarchist is a dirty word representing a lot of things with negative connotations. Actually, now I want to elaborate. Let's think of characteristics that people consciously or subconsciously attribute to "occupy" types:
-poor
-uneducated or miseducated (scammed by the liberal arts bubble)
-dirty
-loser
-whiner
-violent
-rash/aggressive/threatening
-unproductive
...among others

In this post I will not mention whether any of these things are true, nor will I comment on whether any of them are bad. I'm not commenting on any of that. I'm simply telling you what everyone thinks, and I'm telling you that most people put these things together and conclude that those people are irrelevant and meant to be ignored.

If you don't read my post carefully, you may get upset and call me rude, but I'm not passing any judgment. I'm telling you about reality. The reality is that market anarchists do a better job of making anarchism less scary, and do a better job of presenting ourselves, and that matters, whether you want it to or not. Sure, we still carry some of these characteristics as stereotypes, but not as bad.

PS: I'm poor too, so don't think I'm insulting people. I'm not. What I'm saying is that personal financial success (and other success in your life) is good for market anarchism. It makes you look credible. I will continue trying and working hard, and so should you!
PSS: Despite all these disclaimers, I completely expect to get attacked on this. Ready, set , go.

-MAM
Josh D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 01:32:22 PM »

If you don't read my post carefully, you may get upset and call me rude, but I'm not passing any judgment. I'm telling you about reality.

I love this part of your post!

I'm thinking about including it in all of my official communications.  That sentence is the most perfect example of rhetorical judo that I've ever seen.  Let me restate it below:

If the reader of this post disagrees with its contents and has an emotional reaction, it is because the reader of the post did not read it carefully enough.  The author of the post is simply documenting fact.
JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 07:49:49 PM »

Relevant

-MAM
assasin7

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 12:38:12 AM »

that's fucking bullshit. She sounds like she's just trying to sound edgy with the anarchism. And blowing stuff up, I used to smash toy car's in my basement and I play COD to blow off steam. Doe's that make me a terrorist

"then go hang yourself"
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: