Daily Anarchist Forum
October 16, 2019, 05:22:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anathem by Stephenson  (Read 5608 times)
MAM
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2012, 12:09:57 AM »

I was given Cryptonomicon years ago by my court-historian roommate. He's the worst kind of state worshiper but nice in every other way, so the book went into a pile I have. A year or so later someone gave me Snow Crash, and it blew my mind. I really enjoyed the franchise nation deal. Later the same guy who gave me Snow Crash gave me Cryptonomicon. Only then did I realize I already owned it!

Just the other day while I was about halfway through Cryptonomicon,I followed up with my (now former) roommate and asked him about Stepenson.  Apparently he's his favorite author.  I don't get how someone can be so mega-pro state and say "Snow Crash is my favorite book".  But then again, a lot of people seem to like the Hunger Games while missing all the messages.

Never read Hunger Games should I? Big fan of Stephenson.
Coltan L.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2012, 10:11:08 AM »

Yes, my cost-benefit-analysis would say you get a lot of bang for your time unit/buck/whatever.  You can satisfactorily burn through each in hours (barely plural) and they're pretty satisfying.  Extra satisfying because millions and millions of kids are reading them and being exposed to some pretty overt anti-state sentiments.

Not a "must read" slog like Atlas Shrugged or whatever.
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2012, 11:14:21 AM »

Not a "must read" slog like Atlas Shrugged or whatever.

Haha  Cheesy

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
Josh D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2012, 07:35:57 PM »

I've never read Atlas Shrugged or any Rand for that matter.  I'm not sure I need to at this point.
Coltan L.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2012, 04:37:57 AM »

I've never read Atlas Shrugged or any Rand for that matter.  I'm not sure I need to at this point.

I'd give Fountainhead a try if you you find your self running out of good fiction.  I think its superior to Atlas Shrugged.  Though AS has one of my favorite characters of all time, Ragnar Danneskjold.
David Giessel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2012, 05:09:55 AM »

Rather than tl;dr (which I totally enjoyed) I'd recommend The Brow of Zeus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIk5C2qsRH8

"Acquire a peaceful spirit, and thousands around you will be saved." -Seraphim of Sarov

"There is no ideology. There is no guru. There is only us, and this, and the silence." -Mark Manson
Josh D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2012, 03:08:06 PM »

David,

Sherri got a copy of Atlas Shrugged at an econ conference once, and she tried to give it to me.  I turned her down. 

Normally when I tell that story, I start it by saying, "Do you want to hear about the time I turned Sherri down?"
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: