Daily Anarchist Forum
August 15, 2022, 08:42:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Social science  (Read 4707 times)
Alricaus

View Profile
« on: May 07, 2012, 11:39:35 PM »

Hi there,

It makes a long time I havenít posted something here.

I was wondering about how social sciences will be found in an anarcho-capitalist society.

For some sciences (for example, pharmacology), there is no doubt that somebody will be interested by founding some projects. But isnít clear for me how, for example, projects on domestic violence (or on a plentiful of subjects) will found  their money. I thought of charity (of course!), but Iím worried about whether this will be enough. Naturally, I donít want to force anyone to do it.

So, I guess my question is whether you think that  social science projects will be able to get enough money to sustain all (of course, maybe not all the projects Ö but you know, if enough to have some research program) the research that are done in this domain.
 Thank
MAM
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 03:29:22 AM »

If people are interested in that sort of thing sure. Kick Starter man! Besides I imagine that security firms would be interested in domestic violence and various other social science stuff related to crime. Basically if enough people want it, and someone wants to do it, it will happen.
dpalme
Solder Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 08:37:10 AM »

Think of all the people out there who are concerned with domestic violence. Once their money tap has disappeared it's not like they'll just forget about the idea. They're passionate people and will still want to do something to educate the populace about it. They'll figure something out, I'm sure. Never underestimate a charitable cause.

http://cur.lv/fgf0 <--- Accepting bitcoins!
Euler
Anarchist Mathematician

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 09:35:56 AM »

Mathematicians throughout the centuries have found wealthy donors to support their research on topics which at the time appeared completely unrelated to physical reality. Much of science has developed not because of a desire for profit but simply because of the desire of humans to explain. The abolition of the State, nor anything man can conceivably do, will change that. If science had depended purely on financial gains or State support to exist, our scientific landscape would look vastly different and be absolutely dwarfed by our current progress.

Other people have already commented on alternate means of finance and motivations to do so. I say further that it's not even strictly that necessary. It's just important to not try to too finely predict what scientific research will look like without the State and its academic apparatus. You could very well see a dramatic drop off in sociological research. We shouldn't a priori view this as undesirable. We must consider how much such research is useful, how much is methodologically sound and scientifically valid, how illuminating this research is, and how much people wish to conduct this research.

I would expect the overall quality of scientific research to improve (it's in a dismal state right now). I would expect a decrease in the soft sciences. I don't mean to demean anyone's interests or work here, but some of the stuff being published strikes me as completely banal, poor conducted, and ultimately just unenlightening. This sort of research represents a drain on the scientific community, not a boon to it.

"When one man says, 'No I won't,' Rome beings to fear."
JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 03:55:28 PM »

& jelly sandwich

"I like to eat. Instead of a monarch I propose we have a Chef be final arbiter in matters. We'll call it anarcho-chefism."
-MAM
macsnafu

Situation Normal--all fouled up!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 04:38:02 PM »

Negator's warped sense of humor will grow on you...

"I love mankind.  It's people I can't stand!"
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 07:00:45 AM »

There are more ways to raise money than simply walking around asking for donations too.  I do some work with a fundraising charity.  It doesn't actually put the money to use, but passes it on to other charities that do.  It operates much like a for-profit company, but uses the profits in a different manner.  

I would expect the overall quality of scientific research to improve (it's in a dismal state right now). I would expect a decrease in the soft sciences. I don't mean to demean anyone's interests or work here, but some of the stuff being published strikes me as completely banal, poor conducted, and ultimately just unenlightening. This sort of research represents a drain on the scientific community, not a boon to it.

A good bit of the craziest research is being done by students, just trying to get through college.  They do it for free.  The rest of the crazy research tends to be gov funded. 
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 07:06:42 AM by Syock » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: