Daily Anarchist Forum
February 04, 2023, 07:28:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there a drone in your area? Check on this map  (Read 14005 times)
helio

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 02:38:34 PM »

On the subject of ECM, range and band is what is important, at least to my limited knowledge. Range is a function of power. 

So I still argue that a uav flying at a thousand meters would require a hefty ECM package and power source.  Furthermore, a uav built by anarchists is probably not going to limit itself to 'allowed' bands.

It is an interesting thought experiment and certainly beyond the realm of my capabilities =).
But it is fun to ponder at least.

"Fire in the head, peace in the heart."  -Samael
braindead0
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 03:00:17 PM »

On the subject of ECM, range and band is what is important, at least to my limited knowledge. Range is a function of power. 

So I still argue that a uav flying at a thousand meters would require a hefty ECM package and power source.  Furthermore, a uav built by anarchists is probably not going to limit itself to 'allowed' bands.

It is an interesting thought experiment and certainly beyond the realm of my capabilities =).
But it is fun to ponder at least.
Transmitters have a tendancy to transmit in a range around the frequency your're trying to transmit on.  Legit systems spend a lot of effort on filtering to assure that the transmission is clean.. a jammer can take advantage of that.

You're correct in that a lot of power would be required, but not as much as you might think.

Of course it's all academic, until we get those freedom class UAV's..  ;-)
helio

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2012, 03:05:42 PM »

It is apparent that you outclass my knowledge of electronics, so I must defer to you =).

braindead0
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2012, 03:19:54 PM »

It is apparent that you outclass my knowledge of electronics, so I must defer to you =).
I've built lots of transmitters for various purposes, just happens to be an area I know a bit about.

I suspect what we need for the best possible communications for the freedom UAV would be a dense mesh network, that way the odds of having a station that can still be reached even though they're trying to jam would be better.
helio

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 03:26:00 PM »

I suspect what we need for the best possible communications for the freedom UAV would be a dense mesh network, that way the odds of having a station that can still be reached even though they're trying to jam would be better.

This is a topic I would like to know more about but haven't gotten around to it yet.  We really need our own internet that doesn't go through the ISPs.

Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2012, 03:26:38 PM »

I've built lots of transmitters for various purposes, just happens to be an area I know a bit about.

Enter the Free State Project.  Smiley

Sorry, I can't help myself.

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
braindead0
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2012, 03:27:11 PM »

This is a topic I would like to know more about but haven't gotten around to it yet.  We really need our own internet that doesn't go through the ISPs.
I was just thinking about starting a new thread on that.. so as to not hijack this one.
helio

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2012, 03:35:45 PM »

I was just thinking about starting a new thread on that.. so as to not hijack this one.

But thread Hijacking is so much fun! 

I would very much like to see a blog article going into some depth on the subject.  The practical aspects are what interest me personally.

braindead0
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2012, 03:52:20 PM »

But thread Hijacking is so much fun! 

I would very much like to see a blog article going into some depth on the subject.  The practical aspects are what interest me personally.

This might help: http://www.baselinemag.com/c/a/Tools-Primers%98hold/Primer-Wireless-Mesh-Networks/

Also adding that to the first post in my other thread.. haven't read it yet though ;-)
helio

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2012, 04:03:06 PM »

Thanks, I'll give it a read!

Back to the original topic, What if we could know when drones are afoot?

I've often pondered an idea. It probably belongs on Half-Baked.
Radar is probably out of the question as that would get immediate attention.
What about a ground based optical array?

Drones can fly at fairly high altitudes so it would be difficult to comb the sky with a telescoped camera with any real hope of finding something.  However, an array of them operating in concert could each search a 'block' of sky, provided the cameras were in a reasonable proximity.

The easiest manner of detection would be how the allies shot down the german jets in world war 2; they shot them down upon landing and take-off.  Similarly, the airspace around known drone bases are observed and once one is found, it's heading, speed, type, and so forth is broadcast to the entire array (it could be a very very large array). 

Granted, it would only work when there is visibility, but knowing where they are watching would be of valuable importance.

Such early warning systems would be useful for many things.  Swat teams heading somewhere? All the local pot growers and distributors would know to duck and cover.

David Giessel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2012, 07:03:28 PM »

Use the GSM network for comms, or just preprogram the GPS coordinate of the delivery location and have the vehicle deliver there then return home. You rarely need comms to the vehicle if it is truly autonomous.

"Acquire a peaceful spirit, and thousands around you will be saved." -Seraphim of Sarov

"There is no ideology. There is no guru. There is only us, and this, and the silence." -Mark Manson
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2012, 05:08:12 PM »

As scary as this might look, I think there's a good chance that this is the future of warfare. I also think that as much as I'd like to see the state go away peacefully, it probably isn't going to happen just like that.

Anarchists embrace!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNPJMk2fgJU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNPJMk2fgJU</a>

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
braindead0
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2012, 07:57:59 AM »

Appears that it's trivial to spoof the GPS signals and effectively take over a drone (or at least control where it goes).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/29/drone-hacked-by-universit_n_1638100.html?ref=topbar
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2012, 09:12:54 AM »

Well, a lot of those drones are private. I can't imagine too many of them are government spy drones.

They all looked like government or government contractors to me. 

A black market UAV courier company would be extremely dangerous. But it would still be awesome.

Why would it be dangerous? 

There are probably 100 private hobbyist drones for every government drone. It can be done quickly and cheaply. It is the solution to Agorism's main problem.

The hobbyist drones are visual range tiny aircraft.  They are not the same thing as the military fighter jet size of UAV the government uses.  There are small drones the military uses too, but they might as well be called overpriced hobby helicopters with the same limitations. 

Want to erase borders? It ain't going to happen with politics, but it probably will with unmanned aircraft. Embrace or resist the technology ... it is going to happen anyway.

How will it erase borders?

It's kind of funny this topic is being brought up; I actually just got back from the post office and walking back was thinking how easy it would be to privatize it.

I am curious how you would see it privatized with drones.  Do you mean just the aircraft that shuttle between cities?  If it were to replace the people going door to door, that would be quite a feat that I would want to hear more about. 

Actually I think Liberty Drones would be a great idea.

For example.  Police pulls over a car.  Driver does a porc411 for assistance.  Drone lifts off immediately from the nearest location and hovers on station, filming, recording, and uploading.
Cop does something bad and the world knows.

This probably would be somewhat doable, so long as it doesn't get busted for flying over populated areas. 

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: