Daily Anarchist Forum
August 18, 2022, 11:10:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Got a letter from Uncle Sam  (Read 8810 times)
AgoristTeen1994

View Profile
« on: March 23, 2012, 05:58:53 PM »

I just received a letter in the mail from Uncle Sam telling me I need to register for "The Selective Service System" with my luck I'll probably get another letter in a couple months telling me I "won" an all-expense-paid trip to some God-forsake hell-hole on the other side of the world.

Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 06:13:33 PM »

I remember when I got that. I wasn't an anarchist at the time, but I was a libertarian and I hated it, but signed anyways because I was afraid of the consequences if I didn't.

If I could do it over I wouldn't sign it. What exactly are the consequences anyways?

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 06:17:17 PM »

I take that back. I'm not sure if I would sign it or not. I'd like not to, of course, but if the risk outweighed the reward I would like sign it for the simple reason that by signing it you're not actually giving the government any money and even if they do re-instate the draft you could always make your stand then.

I generally have less problem signing government papers. It's when obeying means giving the government money that I draw the line.

DROI

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 06:41:37 PM »

The only real costs for not registering are that you will not be able to get a federal job(haha) or get student financial aid from the gov. Not that bad at all.
dpalme
Solder Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 07:14:40 PM »

I think when I got that junk a few years back there was something about fines or possibly jail time, but I might be mistaken.

http://cur.lv/fgf0 <--- Accepting bitcoins!
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 07:18:21 PM »

The only real costs for not registering are that you will not be able to get a federal job(haha) or get student financial aid from the gov. Not that bad at all.

If my memory serves me correctly, this is right.

Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 07:19:33 PM »

I think when I got that junk a few years back there was something about fines or possibly jail time, but I might be mistaken.

This is likely the fear-mongering other slaves tell each other to stay in line. I used to believe it myself. Not sure I do anymore.

Will

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 07:57:59 PM »

Yeah, but the only ones they've ever prosecuted were activists that were public about it as an act of civil disobedience.

In my state its part of getting a drivers license, though, so I'm all registered up. :/
JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 08:03:02 PM »

I would just fill it out and make your stand when you win the lottery. There are no consequences to filling it out. You can escape if you are called.

"I like to eat. Instead of a monarch I propose we have a Chef be final arbiter in matters. We'll call it anarcho-chefism."
-MAM
LegesNullae

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 06:12:43 AM »

I became an anarchist when I was 17. When I turned 18, I had absolutely no intention of signing up for selective service, but it turns out my high school had already done it for all male students who had already turned 18. Understandably, I wasn't pleased. However, I figured I would make my stand in the event of my being called for the draft, should it be reinstated. I feel for you.

"It is easy to be conspicuously 'compassionate' if others are being forced to pay the cost." -Murray N. Rothbard
DROI

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 03:34:02 PM »

This is likely the fear-mongering other slaves tell each other to stay in line. I used to believe it myself. Not sure I do anymore.

When researching this I remember reading the "if prosecuted and convicted you could face up to 5 years in prison or a fine $250,000". I'm pretty sure the only time they might prosecute someone is if the person talks to a newspaper or something and says they're not registering in civil disobedience.
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 03:55:57 PM »

I wonder if you don't have an SSN if they still send you a selective service registration.

derick

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 10:15:08 PM »

I wonder if you don't have an SSN if they still send you a selective service registration.

The SSN is required for basically everything and the selective service is no exception as a matter of fact the selective service is how they force you to accept the SSN.
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 11:47:02 PM »

One of the ladies in the liberty movement in NH has a teenage son who does not have an SSN. Doesn't have a license to drive. Can't open a bank account. It can be done but it makes life a lot more difficult. Course, who needs those things anyways, right?

Mark Stoval

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 04:34:17 AM »

... Course, who needs those things anyways, right?

My wife seems fond of those things. I don't know why exactly.   Smiley
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: