Daily Anarchist Forum
July 03, 2022, 03:03:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Paleo Diet  (Read 10263 times)
Freya
Tranarchist

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 01:28:17 PM »

Good stuff. It is amazing how many people I know who work their ass off to lose weight/stay thin while shoving "healthy whole grains" down their throat instead of eating a steak ... while I can "hibernate" all winter and not even go skiing for months on end without adding a pound ... not that I have ever struggled with weight. Interesting how hard people will work to prop up diet myths that not only have no scientific basis, but clearly have no empirical basis for working in their own lives.

To each their own tho.

The types of calories do not matter when it comes to weight loss. The reason whole grains "can" be healthy is because thyey are usually also very filling. The problem is that eating carbs generally makes you want to eat more of them, leading to so called carb craving. Eating only proteins  actually seems to reduce apetite, your body gets "bored" of them.

I've done the whole meat diet thing (protein heavy, low carbs and fats) and it can really makle you lose weight fast. The problem is keeping it off. Some people might be able to eat nothing but meat all their life, but personally I got rather bored of just eating meat. There is also the question of how healthy these "diets" are, I believe nutrition needs to be balanced.

I would also like to point something out to you. Going by your forum name I am going to assume you are a man. You probably take this for granted but you have no idea how much testosterone helps with weight loss. Being in the position where I'm blocking my testosterone I've learned a lot about how it affects the body. Men having generally 10x as much of it can quite easily burn calories and build muscles. Women are SOL and they have to work much much harder to lose weight and build muscle, unless of course they artificially raise their testosterone levels.

So, naturally I switched to Nioxin and have been using it religiously ever since. I've contemplated doing without shampoo for a while, but I'm afraid I'll go more bald.

What are your thoughts on this?

I'm sure using certain products extensivly can lead to you damaging your hair. But you have to remember that there are two main factors to hair loss and shampoo is not one of them:

The first is genetics. There is not much you can do about this. If "baldness" is in your family, you are likely to lose it no matter what.

The second is hormones, specificaly DHT (Dihydrotestosterone). It's a primarily male sex hormone, though women have it as well (but less of it). This is also why men tend to bald way more then women. There is medication that can block DHT, and this will prevent hair loss. Messing with testosterone production can have some side effects though, I suggest you do your research. There are also several natural ways to reduce DHT production, which do not require you to take medication, I'm sure you can find plenty about this online.

EDIT: It seems going by reviews of the product that Nioxin actually does work by blocking DHT. If that is the case then your hairdresser was completly right. You can either find another way of blocking DHT, but not blocking it at all would surely lead to increased hair loss.

I have done the primal diet before and it is challenging for me since I'm addicted to junk food. My personal best is about 2 weeks without processed foods. I felt better eating clean, but there was always that small tinge of not being completely satisfied after I ate a meal. My thoughts are that I could be hit by a bus tomorrow, so I don't want to deprive myself of good food. I'm sure this line of thinking isn't smart, but I enjoy working out so I don't carry any extra weight around anyways.

I personally understand exactly wat you mean. I find limiting myself to certain diets reduces my happiness. Being unhappy is not healthy either. This is why I keep track of my calories, cook lots of food fresh and vary a lot. I can eat healthy and still enjoy life. You shouldn't worry about taking the occasional "bad foods" in moderation, especially if it makes you happier.

Coupled with having a kick ass kitchen that makes quality food preparation fun.

This is extremely important. If you have a good kitchen and you enjoy cooking you have an edge on everyone else. I personally love cooking and have no problem spending 30 mins in the kitchen preparing a healthy meal.

I have also quit using body soap and shampoo when showering as well and did notice an improvement with dandruff once my scalp got used to just being cleaned with hot water. I still use hand soap when washing my hands after using the restroom or after work when they are really dirty and greasy.

As a person who suffers from dry skin rather easily, I rarely use soap and when I do it is absolutly neccesary (hair once every week, hands before handling food). If you do use soap I suggest you do replenish the oily layer in your skin with some sort of moisturizer. You can buy expensive commercial products, or you can get a bottle of really cheap olive oil and rub yourself in that. Olive oil is a really good moisturizer and its a very tradional one as well. Not to mention it's cheaper then most other products.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 01:41:22 PM by EddyK » Logged
Batchain

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 05:26:13 PM »

For what one should eat, I've recently realized it seems best to cater to your individual needs in terms of diet. There does seem to be a lot of food allergies popping up these days. If you think there is a food that is causing a problem, best to just cut it out completely for a while, you could always try adding it back in a little to see if you can tolerate some.  Recently I had my first IBS flair up and it was pretty scary.  I knew there was definitely something going wrong with my insides but nothing I did seemed to help. After a bunch of tests at the GI doctor, he concluded I had IBS.  Once I read up on IBS I found out that some raw veggies and fruits can mess you up if you've got IBS.  That was surprising considering when one wants to get healthy one thinks it's always best to have a lot of veggies/salads and some fruit.  So salads may be good for many people in a diet, but really bad for others! This probably explains when I thought I was "eating better" by adding more veggies and salads into my diet, things still got worse.

I was on a high protien/low carb diet for a while, and it ended up being bad that it lessened my appetite. It lessened my appetite so much, that I started skipping meals here and there because it was easy on the low carb diet to do so, but that is what I believe started my IBS flair in the first place... I found that if I don't eat enough times in the day, that's very bad for me and my insides.  Much better to eat 6 or so small 'meals' than two large meals or whatever. It tends to be better for blood sugar as well to do more frequent small meals. So I don't know, smaller, more frequent meals might be universally pretty good (I'm not dietician of course, this is just things I've learned from experience and observation of others experience)

The only things about diet that I think are almost definately universal are sugar is not so good, and processed foods are not so good.  Sugar is devoid of nutrients, so it's just empty calories, processed foods tend have less nutrients or have nutrients added back in after they're taken out (seems like it can't really be the best way to get good nutrients). This means if you eat either of those too much, you will probably end up eating more because you'll be craving nutrients but not giving your body the nutrients it needs to work right and you'll just get hungrier and hungrier (and thus eat more and more).

On a side note, congrats to you EddyK for taking that big step and being true to yourself! I think it's a wonderful thing these days that we have that choice to change our gender. I could see that it could be a difficult road, but I have a feeling that really listening to yourself and staying true to yourself will only result in more happiness and self confidence for you...  We need more female anarchists anyway. Smiley
Freya
Tranarchist

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 07:16:42 PM »

For what one should eat, I've recently realized it seems best to cater to your individual needs in terms of diet. There does seem to be a lot of food allergies popping up these days. If you think there is a food that is causing a problem, best to just cut it out completely for a while, you could always try adding it back in a little to see if you can tolerate some.  Recently I had my first IBS flair up and it was pretty scary.  I knew there was definitely something going wrong with my insides but nothing I did seemed to help. After a bunch of tests at the GI doctor, he concluded I had IBS.  Once I read up on IBS I found out that some raw veggies and fruits can mess you up if you've got IBS.  That was surprising considering when one wants to get healthy one thinks it's always best to have a lot of veggies/salads and some fruit.  So salads may be good for many people in a diet, but really bad for others! This probably explains when I thought I was "eating better" by adding more veggies and salads into my diet, things still got worse.

Yes, it's always something you need to find out. If certain foods don't sit well with you its best to try to figure them out and cut them from your diet. There isn't a one size fits all diet that works for everyone.

I was on a high protien/low carb diet for a while, and it ended up being bad that it lessened my appetite. It lessened my appetite so much, that I started skipping meals here and there because it was easy on the low carb diet to do so, but that is what I believe started my IBS flair in the first place... I found that if I don't eat enough times in the day, that's very bad for me and my insides.  Much better to eat 6 or so small 'meals' than two large meals or whatever. It tends to be better for blood sugar as well to do more frequent small meals. So I don't know, smaller, more frequent meals might be universally pretty good (I'm not dietician of course, this is just things I've learned from experience and observation of others experience)

Yes the low carb diet can be problematic if you only eat carbs for extremely long periods. Skipping meals is never a good thing, especially when your stomach is used to constant eating. Shifting from one diet to another can be problematic, which is why it's probably best just to learn by experience to find what works for you.

The only things about diet that I think are almost definately universal are sugar is not so good, and processed foods are not so good.  Sugar is devoid of nutrients, so it's just empty calories, processed foods tend have less nutrients or have nutrients added back in after they're taken out (seems like it can't really be the best way to get good nutrients). This means if you eat either of those too much, you will probably end up eating more because you'll be craving nutrients but not giving your body the nutrients it needs to work right and you'll just get hungrier and hungrier (and thus eat more and more).

Yeah, if I need something to be more sweet I try and put ingredients in that are naturally sweet in there, instead of just adding sugar. Obviously these ingredients usually contain sugars, but there are different kinds of sugars. There are also certain herbs/spices that have a sweet(ish) smell/taste and these can make your food sort of sweet tasting without adding any sugars.

On a side note, congrats to you EddyK for taking that big step and being true to yourself! I think it's a wonderful thing these days that we have that choice to change our gender. I could see that it could be a difficult road, but I have a feeling that really listening to yourself and staying true to yourself will only result in more happiness and self confidence for you...  We need more female anarchists anyway. Smiley

Thanks. I think everyone should do whatever makes them happy as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. A happy person is a productive person, so if something makes you happy then I'd be a fool too prevent it, as then I can not longer indirectly benefit from their productivity. If only more people understood this we'd be way better of as a society.

Depending on your definition of gender* I do not personally see myself as changing gender, I am already female (in my brain/mind). Rather I am bringing my body in line with the expections society has for my gender, as well as aligning my body with how my brain seems to think it should be. The latter is most important too me, just being able to be happy with my own body. That I will be perceived by society in a way that is more in line with the way that I wish to be perceived is an added bonus.

* I personally make a distinction between sex and gender
Batchain

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 07:47:25 PM »

I agree with making a distinction between sex and gender.  I think of myself as pretty much gender neutral because I just do things depending on what I happen to like, many of those things may be thought of by society as female things,  male things or neutral things, I feel like I don't strongly subscribe to either male or female gender role... but my sex is female and I'm fine with that.   Anyway, thanks for clarifying and sharing your experience with gender and sex.  We're all different individuals obviously, it's always nice to get some understanding of other people's unique experiences.
dpalme
Solder Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2012, 09:52:29 AM »

http://www.kctv5.com/story/19011097/kctv5-special-report-the-paleo-diet

http://cur.lv/fgf0 <--- Accepting bitcoins!
BobRobertson

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2012, 10:06:55 AM »

I could only "stomach" the first page of comments. Maybe they were being sorted by "worst first".   Cheesy
Hanzo

Deprived Ninja

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2012, 10:53:02 AM »

I'm 6'2, 135 lbs. I can eat anything I want and never gain weight without exercising. But that is not necessarily a good thing- sometimes I wish I was a little beefier. It seems like it would take too much effort to bulk up though. Eating like crazy, keeping track of calories, working out, all that. I don't want to gain weight that bad! Better than being obese. Still don't really like being called skinny though (it makes me feel like skinny=wimp).

Plus, I went to the doctor, and my blood sugar and pressure was great, and cholesterol was "perfect". I used to have bad allergies, and would feel sick and throw up mucus literally everyday I woke up before 10Am.  I haven't felt sick, even a cold, since I started taking allergy shots and a daily Zyrtec about a year ago.

I did some research, and I think the reason for not gaining weight is "non-exercise activity". This sounds very much like me, because I am always fidgeting, because I'm always drumming on something. Drummers kind of have OCD- they always need to be playing a beat.

I don't eat as bad as I used too, but still don't have a great diet. I eat steak or fish when I can, but I also eat a buttload of trailmix (a bag everyday), hot pockets, oatmeal, ice cream, pork, cliff bars, and a variety of other stuff.

I also gave up soda, unless I'm going out to eat, which is rare. At first it was for health reasons, but now I realize that brand name canned soda tastes nasty, and makes me feel bad afterwards. Now I drink about 3 cans of Vintage Seltzer a day, which is just carbonated water, with a little natural flavor (no sugar or anything like that).

Paleo diet seems like it works, from the research I've done. However, I don't think it is right for me at this time. I like eating junk food, as long as I don't go overboard. The way too much sugar makes me feel afterwards (headaches, feeling bad overall) is enough to keep that balance in check.

Best of luck to you all.  
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 11:00:25 AM by Deprived Ninja » Logged

What if it was a gift?
macsnafu

Situation Normal--all fouled up!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2012, 11:34:52 AM »

I'm 6'2, 135 lbs. I can eat anything I want and never gain weight without exercising. But that is not necessarily a good thing- sometimes I wish I was a little beefier. It seems like it would take too much effort to bulk up though. Eating like crazy, keeping track of calories, working out, all that. I don't want to gain weight that bad! Better than being obese. Still don't really like being called skinny though (it makes me feel like skinny=wimp).

If you're 6'2" and 135 lbs, then you don't need to lose weight, obviously. As I recall, though, you're still in your teens. Maybe your growth spurts are over, maybe not.  But as you go through your 20s, you may find that you can no longer eat anything you want without gaining weight.  The body changes as you get older.

I had no problem with my weight in my teens, and only a moderate problem with my weight in my 20s and 30s.  My weight didn't really bother me till my late 30s/early 40s.

"I love mankind.  It's people I can't stand!"
SinCityVoluntaryist
Left Rothbardian against the corporate state; Ron Paulian against the empire

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2012, 05:43:05 PM »

I'm just like you, Ninja. I can eat anything I want and lose nearly everything simple by walking around. My metabolism is insane. Believe me, I'm as skinny as a twig.

<iframe src="http://c4ss.org/c4ssnews/js1.0/c4ssnewsobject.html?ctc=eef467&clc=f4f367" id="c4niframe" width="160" height="360" style="margin: 0px;" scrolling="no" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Support the Molinari Institute:
http://praxeology.net/molinari.htm
randallstevens

FREEDOM!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2012, 04:45:53 PM »

A good match to go with the paleo lifestyle is CrossFit. I've been doing it for almost 4 months now and am totally addicted. My wife has been doing it with me, along with her very paleo diet she has lost several inches and seen huge gains in her strength and endurance. I would highly recommend both to anyone.

He doesn't exist, except on paper.
MAM

Life is Sacred

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2012, 12:16:18 AM »

I'm very wary about diet stuff. Lot of bullshit floating around.

"A stone is heavy and the sand is weighty but a fool's wrath is heavier than them both"-Tuek

"Knowledge is power, and it's light weight. The more you know the less you need."-Cody Lundin

"Hey... it's a haiku

Democracy is
Two Zombies and a Sheriff
Deciding on Lunch."-Davi Barker
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: