Daily Anarchist Forum
August 18, 2019, 12:13:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anarchy and the Arts  (Read 3620 times)
ErikAnarchy

View Profile
« on: March 02, 2012, 02:30:47 PM »

How would an An-Cap society handle entertainment (ex. Films, tv, etc.) As an aspiring filmmaker I sometimes ponder this. I'd like to hear your thoughts.
ff42

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 03:57:18 PM »

For me there is only one principle - Do not initiate harm (i.e. threatened or actual force or fraud). 

I'm a bit confused about your question, particularly the word 'entertainment'.  Are you talking about the use of minors in adult films, of copyright issues, of simulated harm?
ErikAnarchy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 05:05:55 PM »

I should clarify. How would issues of supposed moral or ethical issues be handled in entertainment. For instance, how would a community deal with material considered obscene (and I know obscenity is a relative term). Would there be perhaps a non invasive entity? Like a communal MPAA?
dpalme
Solder Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 07:31:06 PM »

For movies, there are trailers/commercials, if people see that there is something they deem immoral, well then no one is forcing them to watch that movie. In the same vein, if the filmmaker is worried about people thinking the movie isn't ethical, then they don't have to make it.

It's simple really. . .unless you meant something else.

http://cur.lv/fgf0 <--- Accepting bitcoins!
Will

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 08:20:43 PM »

For movies, there are trailers/commercials, if people see that there is something they deem immoral, well then no one is forcing them to watch that movie. In the same vein, if the filmmaker is worried about people thinking the movie isn't ethical, then they don't have to make it.

It's simple really. . .unless you meant something else.

I think (s)he means the rating system (G, PG, PG-13, etc...). I think that this isn't necessarily the biggest problem for the entertainment industry post-state (intellectual property comes to mind). There are plenty of private blogs that review movies and come up with their own rating system, which often gives moviegoers a more detailed understanding movies content than the MPAA's one letter rating.

I think this would have been (as is often the case) a more difficult problem pre-internet.
ErikAnarchy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 09:05:36 PM »

Good point. The Internet never even entered my thought process (because it's not like I'm on it right now or anything). How nice to see the Internet has only made the idea of a post-state society only more sensible.
LegesNullae

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 01:14:40 PM »

There could definitely be a privatized rating system for movies, as such a system already exists for video games. The ESRB gives games a rating (E for everyone, T for teens, et cetera), and many stores will decline to carry a game unless such a rating from the ESRB is present.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entertainment_Software_Rating_Board

"It is easy to be conspicuously 'compassionate' if others are being forced to pay the cost." -Murray N. Rothbard
bastiat

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 09:51:31 PM »

Leges is right private institutions will enact whatever the population veiws as legitimate. There will probably be "underground" providers of frowned upon content think redlight districts. Those who want to avoid even the presance certain content will be able to do so if a large portion of the population(~30%) also wants to. That being said if enough people(~2%) want some content they will be able to accsess it in an AnCap enviroment.
MAM
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 08:44:00 PM »

I would imagine that when people see a preview of a movie, or listen to a short clip of a music piece if they like it they watch/listen to it if they don't well they don't.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: