Daily Anarchist Forum
August 18, 2019, 12:44:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anarchy Worldwide?  (Read 3240 times)
dpalme
Solder Monkey

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2012, 11:32:02 AM »

Okay, so as some of you may know, I'm a college student, and for shits and giggles, I decided to take a political science class. We've been discussing the creation of our government (this class is depressing), and one of the reasons my teacher keeps going on about, is that we need a government so we can have an army and a navy to protect us from invasion. Now I already know for the most part, this is BS, I believe that there are plenty of folks who would volunteer to defend their property, and defend each other in a well regulated militia, and we don't need to bother with creating a government/army/navy. So that's not my question.

Would we have to have an anarchist system for the whole world, or could we just say, have the U.S. be ruled by no one, and let other countries govern with a central government?

http://cur.lv/fgf0 <--- Accepting bitcoins!
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 11:40:06 AM »

So long as there are individuals who

A. want to control others

and individuals who

B. want to be controlled

there will be crime syndicates and governments somewhere. 

I don't see our struggle merely as trying to abolish governments as much as figuring out better ways to protect ourselves from aggressors, whomever they may be. For most of human history the vast majority of people put their trust in government to protect them. But today people are FINALLY waking up to the fact that government does not protect us, but instead violates us. Humanity put their trust in corrupt entities. As more individuals put their trust into more trustworthy entities, i.e. entities that rely on voluntary cooperation, we will see change.

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 12:06:22 PM »

Would we have to have an anarchist system for the whole world, or could we just say, have the U.S. be ruled by no one, and let other countries govern with a central government?

We already have and always have had anarchy on the international level.  There are some global governmental organizations, but they still don't really have control.  

there will be crime syndicates and governments somewhere.  

Those are one in the same.  hehe

We've been discussing the creation of our government (this class is depressing), and one of the reasons my teacher keeps going on about, is that we need a government so we can have an army and a navy to protect us from invasion. Now I already know for the most part, this is BS, I believe that there are plenty of folks who would volunteer to defend their property, and defend each other in a well regulated militia, and we don't need to bother with creating a government/army/navy. So that's not my question.

http://dailyanarchist.com/forum/index.php/topic,719.0.html  
While it is not your question, that thread has a good video explaining an actual potential market solution for military, rather than just fighting in the streets.  

I consider the biggest threat to an anarchist area to be other governments fearing for their own control.  When Somalia went anarchist, the first thing that happened is the USA paid Ethiopia to invade claiming they needed to install a new government.  Somalia then organized to fight back, supposedly as a temporary solution, but the war is never going to end unless they lose.  I don't know what excuse they are using now, as it is essentially two governments fighting each other there at the moment.  
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 12:07:56 PM by Syock » Logged

Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 12:31:03 PM »

One of the nice things about America going bankrupt is that the United States Federal government has less resources to oppress peoples around the world.

People in the Patriot movement always say that when America falls, so too, will the rest of the world. I disagree. I think when America falls, the rest of the world will rise in freedom.

dpalme
Solder Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 03:52:40 PM »

One of the nice things about America going bankrupt is that the United States Federal government has less resources to oppress peoples around the world.

You're a more optimistic man than I. Even with us going bankrupt, the government has had no shortage of cash to use on illegal wars, new hip and happenin' ways to spy on the masses, and imprison people (who don't live in the U.S.) talking on twitter (here). These bastards will just keep bailing themselves out, bankruptcy means nothing to them.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 04:14:30 PM by dpalme » Logged

http://cur.lv/fgf0 <--- Accepting bitcoins!
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 09:53:30 PM »

You're a more optimistic man than I. Even with us going bankrupt, the government has had no shortage of cash to use on illegal wars, new hip and happenin' ways to spy on the masses, and imprison people (who don't live in the U.S.) talking on twitter (here). These bastards will just keep bailing themselves out, bankruptcy means nothing to them.

No, but lack of resources does. Why don't the Syrians rule the world? Lack of resources.

ff42

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 11:16:17 PM »

Okay, so as some of you may know, I'm a college student, and for shits and giggles, I decided to take a political science class. We've been discussing the creation of our government (this class is depressing), and one of the reasons my teacher keeps going on about, is that we need a government so we can have an army and a navy to protect us from invasion. Now I already know for the most part, this is BS, I believe that there are plenty of folks who would volunteer to defend their property, and defend each other in a well regulated militia, and we don't need to bother with creating a government/army/navy. So that's not my question.

A fictionalized and interesting answer to your question can be found at http://anarchism.net/steppes.htm "On the Steppes of Central Asia". 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: