Daily Anarchist Forum
October 18, 2019, 05:19:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using Facebook scripts to drain advertising dollars from corporations  (Read 2141 times)
Rocket
« on: February 11, 2012, 06:30:11 PM »

Advertising on Facebook is divided into two categories, cost per click and cost per view. Scripts are available to bypass captcha security for account creation as well as account activity including advertising clicks and views. Targeted scripts could cost corporations huge advertising dollars especially corporations with open accounts. This could drop the bottom out of Facebook's value as an advertising commodity as well as incurring government and corporations huge bills for valueless advertising. Thoughts?
JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 08:25:58 PM »

To be honest, I'm entirely baffled by most of internet advertising. 99% of ads make me wonder if there are any human beings who have ever clicked them.

Also, I doubt that a handful of people doing pointless clicking is going to do anything. Like you said, the clicking would earn facebook money, and I don't like facebook. But supposedly those ads are pretty sophisticated and can recognize false hits.

"I like to eat. Instead of a monarch I propose we have a Chef be final arbiter in matters. We'll call it anarcho-chefism."
-MAM
Rocket
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 08:39:13 PM »

Yeah, I am anti-Facebook as well and the scripts allow mass account creation using randomized fictional people and automated activity i.e. scripted posts etc. I wasn't going to sit their clicking ads and the number of accounts created could be in the thousands. Initially it would make Facebook money but the ad costs on open accounts could be endless created by account bots resulting in no business for advertising corporations eventually devaluing Facebook. So it wouldn't happen overnight but over a quarter or whatever.
JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 12:02:25 AM »

Yeah, I am anti-Facebook as well and the scripts allow mass account creation using randomized fictional people and automated activity i.e. scripted posts etc. I wasn't going to sit their clicking ads and the number of accounts created could be in the thousands. Initially it would make Facebook money but the ad costs on open accounts could be endless created by account bots resulting in no business for advertising corporations eventually devaluing Facebook. So it wouldn't happen overnight but over a quarter or whatever.
Okay, well if it's automated then maybe it could work. I don't know though, there are probably half a billion or more people on facebook. I suspect almost none of them ever click ads though. Most revenue probably comes from just displaying the ads....companies trying to subconsciously get inside people's heads. I guess we would need to data to verify to disprove the claims I have made though. Maybe it would work...

"I like to eat. Instead of a monarch I propose we have a Chef be final arbiter in matters. We'll call it anarcho-chefism."
-MAM
Rocket
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 02:32:10 AM »

Well, I have the scripts available but obviously I have never done it. It would take a concerted effort over an extended period of time using more resources than I have available. But it could potentially work hurting Facebook and it's corporate advertisers. Or at least that's the theory. I don't know, I just thought it was promising, technically doesn't involve invasive hacking, and I was interested in feedback. The fact that Facebook would initially reap a windfall so close to their initial offering makes me pause but then again, it would be ironic if knowing that this attack would happen beforehand you invested, sold high due to this increase in revenue, then turned around and sunk your profits of this artificial manipulation of the market into other anarchist ventures.
Rocket
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 03:39:38 PM »

Then again, if you did something like this and the people that be found out it was you, you might just come up missing.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: