Daily Anarchist Forum
October 16, 2019, 05:25:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Smart phones  (Read 7198 times)
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: February 05, 2012, 05:39:52 PM »

Considering switching to a smart phone but they seem so expensive. Who's got one and are they really worth it?

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
victim77

Registered Anarchist

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 06:19:15 PM »

Considering switching to a smart phone but they seem so expensive. Who's got one and are they really worth it?
Since I'm younger most of the kids I know have one. If you want internet on the run then that's the only real practical advantage. Extremely easy for the government to get info off of it, even easier to GPS track it.
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 06:52:55 PM »

I prefer burn phones.  The cheap ones with no plan and prepaid time cards. 

derick

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 08:41:51 PM »

I have had a smart phone for about 4 months now. Having all of that information available everywhere I go would be very hard to give up at this point.
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 08:54:38 PM »

I have had a smart phone for about 4 months now. Having all of that information available everywhere I go would be very hard to give up at this point.

So, you're saying it's worth the money?

JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 09:46:45 PM »

I haven't done it yet. My impression is that it's still pretty expensive, but I could be wrong. Do you know how much it would cost you? (monthly service, that is)

"I like to eat. Instead of a monarch I propose we have a Chef be final arbiter in matters. We'll call it anarcho-chefism."
-MAM
derick

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 10:09:00 PM »

Its a minimum $30. per month for internet, $5. for text messaging. On top of that we have a family plan of $75 per month that we share 1400 minutes per month for 3 phones. My phone cost $168. So far it has been worth it for me.
dpalme
Solder Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 11:06:03 PM »

I was thinking of getting a straight talk smart phone, only so I could have bitcoin on the go, unless I can't convince any of my local haunts to accept bitcoin.

http://cur.lv/fgf0 <--- Accepting bitcoins!
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 12:09:51 AM »

I was thinking of getting a straight talk smart phone, only so I could have bitcoin on the go, unless I can't convince any of my local haunts to accept bitcoin.

This is one of the major reasons pushing me to get a smart phone. It's kind of hard to go to local businesses and push Bitcoin when I don't even have an immediate way of PAYING with Bitcoin. There's no way I'm going to be able to sell the idea that I'll pay them when I get home, ha!

JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 12:15:29 AM »

I guess it depends on what kind of financial shape you are in, and also what computing devices you already have. If you own a laptop or netbook, then a smartphone seems less important. If you have a desktop, then maybe it would be more worthwhile.

If you have a netbook, you could use the 4G card for your internet, which you could use at home and around town. It would allow you to pay with BTC as well. Also, you only have one internet expense that way, instead of having home + phone.

"I like to eat. Instead of a monarch I propose we have a Chef be final arbiter in matters. We'll call it anarcho-chefism."
-MAM
rahvin

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 02:13:27 AM »

I prefer burn phones.  The cheap ones with no plan and prepaid time cards. 

I like this idea. 

Can you text with those?  How economical is it? 
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 06:24:10 AM »

I prefer burn phones.  The cheap ones with no plan and prepaid time cards.  

I like this idea.  

Can you text with those?  How economical is it?  

You can text with them.  Mine can take pictures and supposedly go to websites.  

It is the cheapest way to get a cell phone that I have seen.  I pay $100 for a year.  

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/prepay/prepayOverlay.jsp?page=dailyPrepayOverlay
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 06:41:35 AM by Syock » Logged

dpalme
Solder Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 08:30:28 AM »

This is one of the major reasons pushing me to get a smart phone. It's kind of hard to go to local businesses and push Bitcoin when I don't even have an immediate way of PAYING with Bitcoin. There's no way I'm going to be able to sell the idea that I'll pay them when I get home, ha!

If that's a big reason, you could always just get one of the new iPod touch's.

http://cur.lv/fgf0 <--- Accepting bitcoins!
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 12:20:29 PM »

If that's a big reason, you could always just get one of the new iPod touch's.

What's an iPod Touch?

victim77

Registered Anarchist

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 04:36:09 PM »

What's an iPod Touch?
An ipod that can surf the internet and you can mod it to use as a phone actually. There's no 3g though.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: