Daily Anarchist Forum
November 20, 2019, 12:22:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Google's new anti-privacy policy investigated by Feds  (Read 2259 times)
JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2012, 09:16:28 PM »

Since Google launched Search Plus last Tuesday, the search giant has been publicly criticized by bloggers and privacy advocates. On the 12th, the Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC) requested that the FTC investigate Google. The complaint alleged that Google’s new Search Plus feature violated users’ privacy and showed favoritism toward Google products. The new Search Plus feature, which personalizes search by integrating photos and posts from Google+ into the search results, is now reportedly being investigated by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).

http://www.searchenginejournal.com/ftc-investigating-google-search-plus/38854/

Excerpt from the new policy:

"For legal reasons

We will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of Google if we have a good-faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary to:

meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request.
    enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations."

I think the government is pretending to care, but in the end will allow it, because they can force google to share info with different federal agencies.
That's my take. Feel free to add your thoughts.

"I like to eat. Instead of a monarch I propose we have a Chef be final arbiter in matters. We'll call it anarcho-chefism."
-MAM
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 10:22:36 PM »

The government is just jealous.

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
bastiat

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 10:55:05 PM »

Time for a competing privacy oriented search engine or Bing. But I hate Bing's appearance.
JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 10:58:11 PM »

Time for a competing privacy oriented search engine or Bing. But I hate Bing's appearance.
https://duckduckgo.com/

"I like to eat. Instead of a monarch I propose we have a Chef be final arbiter in matters. We'll call it anarcho-chefism."
-MAM
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 08:36:43 AM »

It sounds like google was just putting things it can make more money off of first.  That gets the FTC up in arms because people already like to call google a monopoly.  

It is like telling supermarkets to not start with produce and end with impulse items on the route they design.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: