Daily Anarchist Forum
October 21, 2019, 06:17:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The SOPA Blackout  (Read 4211 times)
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: January 18, 2012, 01:41:42 PM »

I'm not participating in the SOPA blackout today for a few reasons.

1. I don't really have the skills to alter my website in any sort of fancy way like Daily Paul or Wikipedia.

2. While I love the idea of the blackout to make a point, I don't like the conclusions that are prevalent of begging your Congressman to not pass the laws.

This really should be a wake up call for all of the techies out there to put more time and resources into the darknet or something. When TARP passed there were 99 people calling Congress critters opposing TARP for every 1 calling in favor. SOPA and PIPA will pass eventually one way or another, even if they have to sneak it in.

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 01:47:48 PM »

No real point to blackout an anarchist site.  Visitors would just think it is normal.

I like your thinking.  It is more along the lines of the pirate bay. 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 02:52:25 PM by Syock » Logged

DROI

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 07:58:09 PM »

I agree with the begging part. People seem to miss that if they didn't respect the gov's rules they wouldn't have to beg for mercy in the first place.

David Giessel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 04:25:49 PM »

I think a more effective blackout would be for Google to cut of all services for a day.

No Google searches
No GMail
No YouTube
No Blogger
No Android sync
etc

THAT would have an impact.

"Acquire a peaceful spirit, and thousands around you will be saved." -Seraphim of Sarov

"There is no ideology. There is no guru. There is only us, and this, and the silence." -Mark Manson
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 04:32:33 PM »

I think a more effective blackout would be for Google to cut of all services for a day.

No Google searches
No GMail
No YouTube
No Blogger
No Android sync
etc

A lot of businesses rely on them at this point.  They might end up in lawsuits for intentional disruption.  The government gets to say if they pay out or not.  That would be a bad position to be in. 

Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 07:46:36 PM »

http://rt.com/usa/news/anonymous-doj-universal-sopa-235/

Megaupload was raided, and hackers went offensive. 

ff42

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 08:43:30 PM »

No Google searches
No GMail
No YouTube
No Blogger
No Android sync
etc

The above, for a few hours (up to a day?), MIGHT be effective to get the average joe to contact their congresscritter.  What I would like to see is a Google block on ALL .gov addresses for at least a week (I'd prefer it permanent).
victim77

Registered Anarchist

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 09:35:27 PM »

http://rt.com/usa/news/anonymous-doj-universal-sopa-235/

Megaupload was raided, and hackers went offensive. 
Badass!
JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 10:16:59 PM »

Whoah. I'm not sure how such a decentralized group is able to do something like that.

"I like to eat. Instead of a monarch I propose we have a Chef be final arbiter in matters. We'll call it anarcho-chefism."
-MAM
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 10:19:30 PM »

They basically have an army of infected computers that can ping the hell out of servers till they crash.

braindead0
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 02:41:59 PM »

They basically have an army of infected computers that can ping the hell out of servers till they crash.
There might be some botnets involved, but that may not be the entire picture, there are tons and tons of script kiddies running LOIC also.. it's become fashionable in some circles to take part in these things and feel like they're in anon...

As far as the SOPA thing, I don't really care much about it.. whatever they do will be worked around in some fashion.  If the tools don't exist already, someone will create them.  I prefer to ignore the government as much as possible.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 02:48:24 PM by braindead0 » Logged
JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 04:15:58 PM »

There might be some botnets involved, but that may not be the entire picture, there are tons and tons of script kiddies running LOIC also.. it's become fashionable in some circles to take part in these things and feel like they're in anon...

As far as the SOPA thing, I don't really care much about it.. whatever they do will be worked around in some fashion.  If the tools don't exist already, someone will create them.  I prefer to ignore the government as much as possible.
Exactly. They'll do what they want, whether it's legal or not (i.e. 90% of what they do, according to the minarchists' beloved constitution).

"I like to eat. Instead of a monarch I propose we have a Chef be final arbiter in matters. We'll call it anarcho-chefism."
-MAM
Script

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 02:36:34 AM »

They didn't need SOPA to take down Megaupload, and they were hosted all the way across the globe in New Zealand.
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 07:26:12 AM »

They didn't need SOPA to take down Megaupload, and they were hosted all the way across the globe in New Zealand.

... and it was a hong kong company.

David Giessel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 04:32:47 PM »

Try this on for size: http://youtu.be/qPEeaxI0OPU

"Acquire a peaceful spirit, and thousands around you will be saved." -Seraphim of Sarov

"There is no ideology. There is no guru. There is only us, and this, and the silence." -Mark Manson
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: