Daily Anarchist Forum
September 23, 2021, 12:46:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin just went mainstream!  (Read 7720 times)
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: January 16, 2012, 12:23:02 AM »

The Good Wife just did an entire episode about Bitcoin. I've never seen the show before, but I watched it tonight just to see what they would say about Bitcoin. The show is actually pretty terrible. It's not funny, dramatic, intriguing or anything, but apparently it has 10 million viewers.

Anyways, I thought they would just give a little blip about Bitcoin, but no. They went all out on Bitcoin. Obviously, there is some Hollywood creative license and it is dumbed down a little bit, but otherwise very informative and intriguing.

If you want to watch the episode yourself you can download it here:

https://btjunkie.org/torrent/The-Good-Wife-S03E13-HDTV-XviD-avi/3337230dbfff3ac320a47475962f0f9815308b5772f1

Again, I don't recommend downloading torrents unless you're using Linux, or at least Mac.

Enjoy!

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
dpalme
Solder Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 12:37:39 AM »

Hopefully this is a good sign of things to come!

http://cur.lv/fgf0 <--- Accepting bitcoins!
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 08:56:21 AM »

Again, I don't recommend downloading torrents unless you're using Linux, or at least Mac.

You need to start looking into how they see what your doing, rather than spewing the microsoft hate everywhere.

Torrents are tracked by RIAA or whoever else wants to track, by seeding and downloading.  It shows your IP address.  Then they get the ISP to give up names and addresses for IPs and they have you.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 09:01:09 AM by Syock » Logged

Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 02:12:55 PM »

You need to start looking into how they see what your doing, rather than spewing the microsoft hate everywhere.

Torrents are tracked by RIAA or whoever else wants to track, by seeding and downloading.  It shows your IP address.  Then they get the ISP to give up names and addresses for IPs and they have you.

You're wrong in assuming that is my concern this time. The problem with downloading torrents with Windows is that torrents are notoriously littered with viruses and other malware. Linux and Macs are virtually impervious to malware, whereas Windows is incredibly susceptible.

Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 02:37:53 PM »

You're wrong in assuming that is my concern this time. The problem with downloading torrents with Windows is that torrents are notoriously littered with viruses and other malware. Linux and Macs are virtually impervious to malware, whereas Windows is incredibly susceptible.

There is a difference from being susceptible and being targeted.  Just like developers tend to aim for the windows market, viruses do as well since it is a larger user base.  There are viruses for linux and mac too. 

Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 03:05:04 PM »

There is a difference from being susceptible and being targeted.  Just like developers tend to aim for the windows market, viruses do as well since it is a larger user base.  There are viruses for linux and mac too. 

Regardless of why this is the case, the simple truth is that you can download torrents all day long right now with Linux and Mac without worries of getting infected, but you cannot with Windows, which takes us back to the original post.

Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 03:11:52 PM »

Regardless of why this is the case, the simple truth is that you can download torrents all day long right now with Linux and Mac without worries of getting infected, but you cannot with Windows, which takes us back to the original post.

Why?  Do you autorun everything you download?  Do you not check for people warning of a virus, or scan the files?  You can always run stuff in a sandbox. 

Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 03:26:01 PM »

Why?  Do you autorun everything you download?  Do you not check for people warning of a virus, or scan the files?  You can always run stuff in a sandbox. 

Yes, I like being able to simply push play after downloading torrents. Why use Windows and have to operate in constant fear? Besides, anti-virus software is weak at best.

The real question here is, why do you keep defending Windows? It's inferior software, plain and simple.

Freya
Tranarchist

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 03:50:40 PM »

Yes, I like being able to simply push play after downloading torrents. Why use Windows and have to operate in constant fear? Besides, anti-virus software is weak at best.

The real question here is, why do you keep defending Windows? It's inferior software, plain and simple.

The safety of linux relies in part on the fact that the majority still uses windows. Linux viruses do exists.
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 03:56:35 PM »

The safety of linux relies in part on the fact that the majority still uses windows. Linux viruses do exists.

Of course they do, but the damage they can do is far less, and the work you have to put in to get them is far greater. It's not like with Windows where accidentally opening a self-executable file could do major damage.

Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 04:07:11 PM »

I agree linux is better.  That is why I support it in the linux thread.  When you make claims that there is spyware and key-loggers built into windows and that the government is spying on every individual computer with microsoft leading the charge it is just nuts though.  You went down the wrong rabbit hole.

I have not bothered with a anti-virus program on my windows installs in over a decade.  I've never had a virus.  I don't live in fear.  

If you want to beat on a company for spying, look at google.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 04:11:43 PM by Syock » Logged

Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 04:15:50 PM »

I agree linux is better.  That is why I support it in the linux thread.  When you make claims that there is spyware and key-loggers built into windows and that the government is spying on every individual computer with microsoft leading the charge it is just nuts though.  You went down the wrong rabbit hole.

I think you underestimate the mischief of the state. Time will tell. You know, throughout history after tyrannical states have failed, the citizenry learns about all sorts of mischief the government committed. And the people are always surprised at the things they did. They never shrug their shoulders and say to themselves how righteous the state was.

Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 04:17:32 PM »

I don't doubt the state is spying on us, in fact it is common knowledge, but it is not through key-loggers built into windows.   I've gone over this before.  You can go yell at ISP's over that, but they have to comply or be shut down.  
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 04:19:38 PM by Syock » Logged

Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 04:26:39 PM »

Well, neither of us know for sure how much spyware is built into Windows. I think it's a lot, you don't. But the original post was about downloading torrents and the safety that is built in with Linux and Macs. That is irrefutable.

People are obviously still free to download torrents with Windows. I advise against it, you don't.

Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 04:28:32 PM »

If windows was sending out information of your activity, someone would have noticed it by now and have it plastered all over mainstream media.  No one would be using it anymore.  Mac would love to have such a thing hit the news.  

If your torrenting things from reputable places, you can check the md5 for data integrity to easily see that there isn't a virus or corrupted.  If your torrenting less legal things, yeah, you take precautions, or you take your chances.  
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 04:38:06 PM by Syock » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: