Daily Anarchist Forum
October 17, 2021, 02:37:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Bad California Story  (Read 16913 times)
Seth King
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: July 06, 2011, 09:03:26 PM »

I'm in the process of packing and planning my move to New Hampshire. I've decided it would be best to buy a tow dolly and use my old man's truck to tow my wife's car. Then the same tow dolly can be used for when my parents move, as well as my mother-in-law. This means three tows, then selling the dolly once we're finished, and saving much more money than it would cost to rent a U-Haul tow dolly three separate times.

But wouldn't you know? It's almost impossible to find a new or used tow dolly for sale in California. Using sites like Craigslist turned out fruitless as well. After making several calls, and always being pointed toward U-Haul, I finally called U-Haul.

Talking to the manager at my local U-Haul I asked him why I cannot find a tow dolly to save my life. Why are they not simply for sale at trailer or car lots? He explained to me that some time ago(he didn't say when) U-Haul tow dollies were being ripped off like mad. And the problem with tow dollies is that they do not have VINs like other trailers and such. To make a long story short, it was super easy to steal a U-Haul dolly and it would be impossible to prove it was such. So, what did U-Haul do as a reaction to the theft problem? Did they beef up their security? No.

Instead, they lobbied the California State Government to pass legislation. I didn't get the specifics of the legislation, but it essentially gave U-Haul a monopoly to register new tow dollies, or something to that effect. Now it's nearly impossible to find privately owned tow dollies for sale, because new ones aren't coming out.

The manager at the U-Haul said he could buy one for me at an auction, but it sounded like too much of a pain in the ass. So, I decided to see if I could find a lot in Nevada that sells them. Sure enough, I found a dealership in Reno, lickety split, that's got several different kinds for sale. Yet another reason, of millions, why California is increasingly resembling East Germany.

And for the record, the manager at U-Haul wasn't praising U-Haul for what they've done. He proudly admitted to being anti-government and anti-"everything." I told him I am an anarchist fleeing the state for the Free State Project. He said he didn't blame me one bit! =)

When are you moving to New Hampshire?
ff42

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 09:35:42 PM »

Sounds like a business opportunity for an entrepreneur stuck in CA   Smiley
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 05:59:01 PM »

I was in California at the time of the census.  I was bringing over a car to my cousin and helping him move out of a dorm room into a house being rented by a group of his friends.  The census of course is only "legally" allowed to ask how many people live there.  When they got there, they kind of barged into the place, and asked all sorts of personal questions about everyone there.  They kept bugging me, trying to get me added into the count I guess.  I refused to answer questions for them, just telling them I don't live there.  Since I didn't live there I didn't want to rock the boat for everyone else though.  Later that night there was a small party.  I actually met a libertarian in California, their teams coach.  We spent most of the night educating everyone on the overreach of government.  I was surprised how receptive everyone was. 

I don't know if the sell might have been easier then because they are living with all those restrictions like the tow dolly issue and the personal questions they were exposed to earlier in the day or what.  It was not what I was expecting though. 

Batchain

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 11:02:16 AM »

Just thought I might throw in a couple more feelings about Cali from my experience, since I grew up there.  We're moving out west to be closer to CA because unfortunately most my family lives there, but only as far as NV, because I refuse to live in California due to their laws.  What was funny though is recently I was telling someone about moving to NV and they said, Move to CA, the laws aren't as bad, and i said, What?! are you kidding me? How so?..... and they said because of the marijuana laws!  I found that to be pretty disturbing, that people can be so easily bought off with one law that allows them a little freedom to what I believe they should have been able to do without permission from anybody.  Sickening.

One CA story that pisses me off the most has to do with my mom.  She works full time but since CA is so expensive (especially where she lives by the coast), she could really only afford to buy a mobile home if she wanted to 'own her own home' and not be in an apartment, so that's what she did.  The problem is the rent control.  It gives false value to a mobile home where someone else owns the land and you rent it.  She payed waaaaay more than the mobile home was worth, just for the opportunity to rent out that spot at a cheap price.... and it's hard getting her to realize it.  She knows what happens when rent control goes away (The value of the mobile drops to almost nothing, and and she may end up being stuck with a rent that she can no longer afford, and nobody takes their mobile home with them when they leave! They really aren't as mobile as the name implies...So basically she would be left with nothing.), but she blames the owner for pushing government to get rid of rent control, thereby totally missing where the real injustice is coming from. 

Rent control is going away in other parks in her area because it's so expensive there the owners are constantly pushing government to let go of the rent control... and I don't blame them one bit for that,  a mobile home park is a business, nobody buys a mobile home park simply to provide low income housing for others at their own expense! They buy it because they think they can make some money, and if they're willing to invest their money, time and effort in such a prospect, they should be allowed to make money.  Unfortunately my mom tends to mostly blame the mobile home park owner for being 'greedy'.   I tried to explain to her that basically it is the government's fault that she will lose all her money because she would have never purchased the mobile home in the first place if there was no rent control because the rent would have been too high, and even if she had, the mobile home would have cost like 30k instead of 150k because of the higher rent. So basically rent control is bad because it creates a dependance on the government for the person making use of the rent control  (they are invested in making sure it does not go away) not to mention these perceptions of equity where there is none in this case, and also it's bad for the businessman obviously, who 'owes' like 30k just in property taxes per year (we looked it up) plus who knows what for the initial investment, plus insurance and all the other expenses that go with that business.   I hope to convince her to move to NV once I'm out there, hopefully she can escape and leave the problem to some other poor sap before rent control goes away. 
JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 01:34:59 AM »

30k just in property taxes per year
Where I grew up, mansions didn't even have property taxes that high.

"I like to eat. Instead of a monarch I propose we have a Chef be final arbiter in matters. We'll call it anarcho-chefism."
-MAM
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: