Daily Anarchist Forum
November 16, 2018, 07:55:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A review of Gabriel Kolko's book The Triumph of Conservatism  (Read 5815 times)
Victor

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2017, 07:54:18 PM »

I wrote a book review of a work I really enjoyed, and one which influenced libertarians like David D. Friedman and Roy Childs, and I was hoping to hear what my fellow anarchists thought of my review.

Anyone else a fan of this book? Anyone else read it?

I think Seth would like it, given his view of corporations as essentially a part of the State.

'To be happy, stay hidden.'
~Yopie, quoted in Under Paris by Neil Shea and Stephen Alvarez.
My Bitmessage Address: BM-NBofBs1WsHq4Z1MsS9CFEhistf8kLBy9
macsnafu

Situation Normal--all fouled up!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 11:22:32 AM »

I wrote a book review of a work I really enjoyed, and one which influenced libertarians like David D. Friedman and Roy Childs, and I was hoping to hear what my fellow anarchists thought of my review.

Anyone else a fan of this book? Anyone else read it?

I think Seth would like it, given his view of corporations as essentially a part of the State.

A very thorough and well-written review.  I may have to read the book!  ;-)

One point about Standard Oil that is my new pet peeve.  Standard Oil did achieve a high market share, something like 92%, IIRC, but the simple fact is that they never achieved a monopoly.  If the point of anti-trust laws was to break up monopolies, then surely they would have to have been a monopoly first.  I suppose that they could say they were preventing a monopoly by breaking up Standard Oil, but it would be incumbent upon them to show that a monopoly would have actually occurred if they had not acted.

"I love mankind.  It's people I can't stand!"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: