Daily Anarchist Forum
December 09, 2019, 08:26:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Daily Anarchist Forum!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Seasteading  (Read 14972 times)
MAM
« on: June 30, 2012, 06:44:03 PM »

Whose interested? Let's just talk about this yay!
SinCityVoluntaryist
Left Rothbardian against the corporate state; Ron Paulian against the empire

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 06:48:30 PM »

Are you referring to the plan to build those artificial libertarian islands off the coast of the Unites States? I already plan on moving there once they're done. We could probably get everyone from New Hampshire to move there as well.

<iframe src="http://c4ss.org/c4ssnews/js1.0/c4ssnewsobject.html?ctc=eef467&clc=f4f367" id="c4niframe" width="160" height="360" style="margin: 0px;" scrolling="no" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Support the Molinari Institute:
http://praxeology.net/molinari.htm
MAM
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 06:57:40 PM »

Yessir that is what I am talking about I';m looking at the Seasteading  Institutes website on my other monitor right now.
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 07:00:25 PM »

I would say it completely depends on what it has to offer and costs involved. 

Aegidius
Abuser of italics and semicolons

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 07:09:15 PM »

It's a wonderful idea, creating new land to bypass the problem that all the existing land is claimed by states.  Now we have only to see if it's ever actually feasible.

"I need not say how eager we are to trade with you and your kind!  Now, how can I be of service to you?"
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 07:15:12 PM »

The big issue I see is it has to either reduce costs vs any land based alternative, or cater to something unavailable to land based businesses.  That is difficult to do, as there are relatively economically free and subsidized locations on land which could well balance out or beat the economic freedom on the seastead that has higher costs due to being at sea. 

It will be interesting to see what people try to do with it. 

JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 07:39:39 PM »

there are relatively economically free and subsidized locations on land which could well balance out or beat the economic freedom on the seastead that has higher costs due to being at sea. 
Where? Income and other taxes in the US eat up 40+ % of your income every year. Put in a more enlightening way, ditching the taxes would be a 67% pay increase (ceteris paribus: an admittedly unrealistic assumption).

"I like to eat. Instead of a monarch I propose we have a Chef be final arbiter in matters. We'll call it anarcho-chefism."
-MAM
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 07:56:18 PM »

USA is not the place to be.  Hong Kong is pretty decent all around, and Singapore has decent economic laws, although it lacks in other freedoms.  Other places are still relative tax havens, like the British Virgin Islands and the Isle of Man.  

If you work in a subsidized industry, that could outweigh everything. 

kunkmiester

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 12:21:36 PM »

Problem with a seastead is the hundreds of millions of up front building costs.  You have to convince someone that's a worthy investment.  If you built one, how many people would live there, and how much would they pay for rent for their living and working areas?  If you can get under $700 or so for living, and $1000 for a good sized shop, people will be interested, especially libertarian group buys.

I'd prefer a place that rents over letting you buy a condo like deal.  You'd still have to pay maintenance fees, and the rent is just clearer logically.  You have to be able to kick someone out if they're not contributing to maintaining the whole thing, and rent is clearer than getting to "own" something, but still be able to be evicted if you refuse to contribute to maintenance.

Evil is evil, no matter how small.
JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 12:55:48 PM »

I think you overestimate the upfront costs. Like a lazy person, I did a very quick search and ended up with this thread:
http://www.defencetalk.com/forums/navy-maritime/cost-naval-ships-11968/. It makes me think we could set something up on the order of $10 million. I can't pinpoint a dollar estimate, but I'm saying it's between 10 and 100 million. Yes it's still a lot more money than what we have, but I don't think it's as prohibitively expensive as you think. If you ran a business that focused on drugs, gambling, and/or prostitution, out in international waters where nothing's illegal, you could make that money back real quick and earn enough to keep making new seasteads.

"I like to eat. Instead of a monarch I propose we have a Chef be final arbiter in matters. We'll call it anarcho-chefism."
-MAM
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 01:37:46 PM »

There is more than upfront costs to deal with. 

JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 02:38:19 PM »

There is more than upfront costs to deal with. 
What then? The point is to compare them with the costs of paying off the mafia. Unless these other costs are large (and don't have on land counterparts), I don't see the problem.

-MAM
Syock
Epic

Existing Beyond Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 02:48:46 PM »

Maintenance on boats, especially steel boats in the ocean, is high vs a building on land.  There would also be fuel costs to consider to create the electric, filter water etc.  The cost for people to get there will be high as well.  Even if it seems great for the business owner, customers may well prefer Vegas.

JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 02:52:03 PM »

Apparently they've already claimed waters up to 200 miles out as "exclusive economics zones" so it's pointless. That's too far.

-MAM
JustSayNoToStatism
Daily Anarchist Crew

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 03:16:58 PM »

Hong Kong is pretty decent all around, and Singapore has decent economic laws, although it lacks in other freedoms.  
Hmm...HK seems to consistently rank #1 or 2 in economic freedom. Low taxes, simple tax code, investment freedom and no capital gains or dividends taxes. That alone would make retiring a lot easier. English is one of the official languages so I'd be fine communication-wise. Have you ever lived there?

-MAM
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: