Tax Rebels, Come Out of the Closet!

April 30th, 2014   Submitted by Seth King

keep-calm-and-come-out-of-the-closet-8I am now on day fifteen of tax disobedience. This year I refused to file taxes on income earned as an independent contractor. In the past I had always had jobs that paid a wage, where taxes were withheld by my employer. Because my earnings in years past have always been so paltry, I filed paperwork only because I knew I would be getting some money back. But last year I worked as an independent contractor, and so the onus was on me this tax season to write a check to the federal government. I disobeyed. I’d like to explain why I’m telling the world and why you should too, if you’re a tax rebel like me.

I’ve told people before the publishing of this article that I refuse to pay income taxes (and SS taxes, and Medicaid, etc.) and I’ve been met with concerns such as “aren’t you worried about the risks of getting caught?” The answer, of course, is that yes, I am afraid that I’ll be thrown into a cold steel and concrete cage for refusing to fund a criminal organization. But then I have to remind the person I’m talking to that there are risks in obedience, too. And these are very real risks that deserve a lot more attention than they get.

The first, and most ethically relevant issue in paying taxes, is the risk in negatively affecting my conscience. As much as the statists love to paint tax rebels as a bunch of greedy no-goodniks, the truth is we tax rebels know better. We know that by paying off the extortionists, we’re merely attempting to shift the violence of the state away from us and onto others. That is simply not an option for me. No amount of wealth or creature comforts can make life enjoyable with a guilty conscience.

Second, by funding the state I risk empowering it to run even greater roughshod over my life. Every dollar I give it will help the state to hire more bureaucrats, purchase more tazers and ankle bracelets, and build more prisons. The state is a growing parasite with an insatiable hunger. I cannot appease the state. It will continue to demand more until I am destroyed. If destruction is my fate at least I will not have helped to dig my own grave.

Third, even if I were to cower in fear and pay the demands of the state, there is always a real possibility that either I or one of their bureaucrats will make a technical mistake. A technical mistake could be interpreted as intentional tax evasion. And tax evasion elicits just as much rage from the state as tax disobedience. With all of the countless tax codes in existence it is simply impossible not to break the law. In other words, my life is in just as much danger by obeying the state than by not obeying. The state has actually incentivized me not to pay taxes.

Fourth, and least of all likely, but still a tangible risk, is that by paying taxes I will become corrupted into expecting Social Security or Medicaid be available for me later in life. Surely, there are many anarchists, at least philosophical if not practicing anarchists, that have been tamed into not biting the hand that feeds them. The state knows it’s much easier to get people to tow the line when their meal ticket comes in the form of Social Security and Medicaid.

There are probably more risks in obedience than I’ve outlined above, but I’d like to discuss the risks of getting caught. If there is one thing I’ve learned in my short life it is that the law gets broken constantly, by just about everyone, and rarely does anything bad ever happen. We see people speeding, smoking marijuana, owning illegal firearms, or working under the table. We see over ten million so-called illegal immigrants in the U.S. alone. There are people sharing movies and music illegally, jaywalking, engaging in prostitution, contracting without a license, and yes, even refusing to file taxes. Granted, there are a lot of people in prison. But for every person in prison there are one hundred people engaging in illegal activity that aren’t. Simply put, it’s a numbers game.

If you don’t believe me when I say that there are a lot of “Americans” that don’t pay taxes, it’s only because most people aren’t public about it. Tax disobedience is rampant and the feds are powerless to do anything about it. The best they can ever hope to do is go after some big names to make an example and hope to scare more people into compliance. It’s a bluff. I encourage you to listen to this liberal-slanted piece by NPR on the state of affairs for income taxation. I found it to be highly encouraging.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2014/04/11/301493984/episode-531-t he-tough-the-sweet-and-the-nosy

So, now that I’ve covered the risk vs. reward of tax rebellion I’d like to explain why I’m open about my disobedience. I get a lot of my courage and inspiration from the LGBT community. I’m pretty sure they showed all of us law-breakers the way towards positive change. This is a community that has long-suffered at the hands of the state. But something changed in the western world starting about three decades ago. Individuals within the LGBT community started coming out of the closet in droves. Historically, many within the LGBT community lived secret lives for fear of retribution if discovered. One could lose their job, their family and friends, and even be arrested or beaten. And this happened frequently for those who were “caught.” But once the LGBT community stopped acting like second class citizens and started living proudly as who they were, societal and legal changes commenced. Many people outside of the LGBT community learned that there was nothing to be afraid of, and that these people are our brothers and sisters, not child molesters and perverts.

The same is happening today with cannabis users. People are much more open about their cannabis consumption than they were twenty years ago. And as a result, its usage has become normalized. The peaceful and productive pot smoker is replacing the imagery of the deadbeat, careless, thief. The same level of courage and pride needs to come from us tax rebels. If we try to sneak by we will always be seen as moochers and freeloaders, or rich people who don’t want to pay their “fair share.” The truth is we are principled, compassionate, and productive. We’re somebody’s brother or sister, parent or child.

There are risks in coming out of the closet. But there are risks staying in the closet as well. And if history teaches us anything, the risks are lessened by us openly disobeying. Join me. If you are a tax rebel like me, tell your family. Tell your friends. Tell anybody who cares about you that you do not pay taxes. That is how we will change hearts and minds.

41 Responses to “Tax Rebels, Come Out of the Closet!”

1. jonNo Gravatar says:

Kudos to you. But…

…If you have a family you are endangering not only yourself but your family.

…The ‘fight’ isn’t against the government it is against bad ideas. So true change happens by helping people understand what slavery vs freedom is. Once people understand that and the culture changes then the government has to acquiesce.

…Until the culture changes don’t expect help from others if you do get caught. You could end up in prison. What good are you in there?

If this is the action you would like to do that is fine.

Your NPR link is broken.

• Davi BarkerNo Gravatar says:

I realize this is an annoyingly subtle point of grammar, but it’s significant. He is not endangering his family. The state is endangering him and his family. He is merely responding to the threat in accordance with his risk assessment.

Nothing is as impotent as a great idea that no one acts upon. So, if you’re in a ‘fight’ against bad ideas, and you’re still acting upon those bad ideas, you’re not helping anyone understand how great your ideas are. You’re like a fat man selling diet books.

“culture change” is amorphous. Your morning paper will never say “Today The Culture Changed So Stop Paying Taxes.” Culture change happens gradually, one person at a time. This time it’s Seth. That means waiting for culture to change serves more as an excuse for inaction than as some kind of starting gun. If you want culture to change, change yourself.

I for one would help if I could. Would you?

A great many influential books have been written from prison.

• HReardenNo Gravatar says:

If he has a family they could be effected by his decision. I believe that was the point of the poster.

• jonNo Gravatar says:

@Davi Barker & @Deke,

HRearden is correct.

If you walk on a deteriorating plank over turbulent water to get to the other side and the plank breaks, it is the blank that put you in danger or the decision to engage the plank?

Yes, the government is a bad idea but it only exists because of the superstition of believing in false authority. It is this false belief that we must fight, if we fight the thugs directly then that is when you can get into trouble of having your life taken away.

It is difficult to determine when the culture has changed enough to take action. So, it is good when people test the turbulent waters to see if they have calmed down enough for the rest of us to follow. So, if this poster wants to risk his own life then I’m OK with that, I’m just saying that he taking a chance on his life with a potentially high cost.

• Davi BarkerNo Gravatar says:

A deteriorating plank doesn’t have moral agency. A government operative does. If a deteriorating plank held a knife in your ribs and tells your wife to hand over her purse of you’re going to get it, whether or not she decides to hand it the purse, or draw a weapon is a risk assessment. The plank still holds all the culpability.

• jonNo Gravatar says:

@Davi,

If you go into a neighborhood that you know is dangerous and then you get mugged the robber is morally culpable but it was still really stupid of you to go into the neighborhood. If the mob expects you to pay “protection money” because you live in their neighborhood and you refuse and are harmed, yes, it is the mobs fault but you can’t say the consequences of your actions didn’t lead to you being harmed. If you want to take the risk that is your choice but when something bad happens because of it you can’t say that none of your actions led to it.

Let’s use another example if those didn’t suffice. If you go sky diving and you decide you don’t need a parachute because gravity shouldn’t harm you and then you end up paralyzed, was it your fault? Partially, yes, gravity system is what actually harmed you but jumping out of the plane without a parachute wasn’t exactly a good idea either.

Your the one that did the piece on *The Lucifer Effect*, right? Then you understand how systems work. Government is a system. The system needs to be abolished, but chopping off your nose to spite your face isn’t necessarily the best way to go about it. It takes time to change the culture which can then change/abolish the bad system. Is it time to stop paying taxes? Well, you can try if you like, but if not enough culture has reached that point yet then don’t expect to not be harmed. You can play the numbers game and I hope you win but I’m not going to risk my family for it, nor my life.

Did you read the article, Jon? You and your family are already at risk. There are serious grave dangers. The state is in self-destruct mode and is employing the scorched earth policy. There are going to be a lot of victims in its wake of destruction. I suspect the people who will be victimized the most will be those who obey the most. The people who willingly hop into the cattle cars without putting up a fight. Realistically, there’s a good chance we’re going down, no matter what we do. My attitude is that we might as well go down with a fight. If you think obedience will save you, then I wish you the best of luck. You may be right, but I don’t think so.

• jonNo Gravatar says:

@Seth,

I did read the article. I know my family and I are already at risk. But which is the least risky to challenge the system and when to fight it. In the OP the author states that coming out is what caused the culture to change. That maybe true, or it maybe that culture changed enough first so people could come out of the closet. Which was it? There is no proof presented in the OP. I say culture needs to change first for it to be safe enough for people to come out. At first it might only be somewhat safe and the cultural change can be amplified once the first crack in the dam happens by others coming out. But it takes time and I am glad some people are willing to take the risk. But it is a risk and the risk might be too high if it is done too early.

• jonNo Gravatar says:

@Seth,

How about if I put it this why. Fighting back is important but fighting smart is much more important than just fighting. The OP might be right that now is the time for tax rebellion to go into higher gear. But I’m conservative in my actions. When the pioneers show that it can be done with low risk then I’ll join, but until then I have a responsibility to protect my family even if that means paying “protection money.”

• DekeNo Gravatar says:

“…The fight is not against the government it is against bad ideas.”

uh, the government *is* a bad idea. That’s the contention.

• RoyceNo Gravatar says:

Your family already is in danger. To choose to take part in harming others families in the hopes that by doing so your own will be spared is the attitude that has brought us to where we are today. Those who choose that path deserve what they get and are personally responsible for harming those that don’t choose that path and don’t deserve what they get.

• jonNo Gravatar says:

@Royce,

That’s a rather simplistic two-dimensional view of the world. I agree with the position that when someone is holding a gun to your head your actions are no longer under a moral compass. I agree that it is important to try to live as morally as we can and that each of us will need to choose which battles to fight.

So, the question is, all mighty Royce. Do you use public roads? If so, does that mean that you are morally culpable? If so, then we are all at fault. No one is innocent.

You should read the post on *The Lucifer Effect* done on the daily anarchist, even better, read the book. Then you might stop painting people with such broad strokes and might begin to understand the nuances of how people behave.

In an ideal world we could all act “rationally” but not all people are rational so we have to live the best we can to protect ourselves while incrementally pushing to a more moral society.

2. BrianNo Gravatar says:

“file:///tmp/20140411_blog_pmoney-1.mp3”

You’ve linked to a file located in your computer’s tmp directory. Link to the actual Planet Money story, or post the file online.

Damn! I had a really hard time finding that link and I couldn’t post it as a link in the blog without the link breaking. That linked worked for me, but I see now it works ONLY for me. If anybody could help me find the link, it was a show they did on April 11th 2014. It has to do with tax collectors. It was an NPR show and it’s 20 minutes long. Please post the link if you can find it. I’ll keep looking myself, too. Thanks!

• BrianNo Gravatar says:

It’s always in the last place you look. The trick is to look there first (hah).

• Martin BrockNo Gravatar says:

Not surprisingly, according to NPR, paying taxes is “the right thing to do” while people like you are “cheats”.

I sympathize with your post, and you seem less negligent, with respect to your family, than some guy going to war “for his country”. Certainly, Martin Luther King and others exposed their families to the risk of state retribution similarly. You’re no worse in this regard than a family living in a neighborhood with a slightly higher crime rate to save a few bucks and thus send their kids to a better, private school.

On the other hand, abandoning my role in the corporative state, with its salary and income tax withholding, presumably would cut my income a lot, so I’d be worse off financially than paying the taxes, and I’d still be paying sales taxes and other taxes, not to mention the income taxes of people I do business with, so the personal morality argument doesn’t carry much weight with me. If refusing to pay the protection money helps you sleep at night, compared with the alternative, that’s fine with me, but I sleep well enough while paying it.

In terms of Social Security, I have no problem with your withdrawal from the system, but your characterization of it involves the usual, understandable misconception. Though the system is designed to look, superficially, like a system of “saving for retirement”, in reality, it’s much more like a system of the young supporting the old, both historically and as a matter of practical economics.

In the Social Security system, people accumulate entitlement to rents imposed on children generally, which is indefensible, but in a freer world, with fewer statutory rents of this sort, more children would support aging parents who supported them. This sort of reciprocal support/mutual aid is entirely defensible, even morally obligatory, so I’ve never thought of my Social Security taxes as somehow earning the benefits I might someday receive.

My SS taxes support my parents, at least in part, and this support is entirely defensible, because my parents supported me. If I receive benefits from the system while my children pay the taxes, their taxes will support me because I supported them, at least in part. That’s making lemonade out of the lemons I’m forced to swallow, but it’s another way of coping.

3. I must need a nap because I have no patience today.

Seth, you’re 22 years behind me and even more behind countless others. (I stand on the shoulders of giants. (Irwin Schiff))

Your article was good, courageous, and necessary. Thank you.

Comments were horrible except for Davi, Deke, and you. I’ll leave it at that.

THE PIRATE DOESN’T CARE WHAT YOU THINK ONLY WHAT YOU DO! ONLY WHEN YOU STOP PAYING TAXES AND USING THEIR MONEY DOES GOV-CO CARE ANYTHING ABOUT YOU!

YOU WILL AFFECT CHANGE ONLY WITH YOUR ACTIONS!

RISK IS UNAVOIDABLE! DEAL WITH IT! YOU COULD LOSE EVERYTHING INCLUDING YOUR LIFE!

BEING COURAGEOUS TODAY IS BETTER FOR YOUR FAMILY TOMORROW!

BEING SAFE TODAY IS GUARANTEED TO EXPOSE YOUR FAMILY TO GREATER DANGERS TOMORROW!

TOO SOON YOU’RE GOING TO BE SITTING IN A WHEELCHAIR WEARING A DIAPER. DON’T ARRIVE THERE REGRETTING NOT HAVING FOUGHT THE GOOD FIGHT.

All the best, Seth.

• jonNo Gravatar says:

@Bill Bochynski,

I know the pirate doesn’t care about me, but I care about me and my family.

My kids have more use of me paying the “protection money” so I can help raise them to be good people (not “good” citizens). With I’m sitting in a jail cell it doesn’t do anyone good.

The first fight is a fight for the mind. That is why I keep my kids out of government schools and teach them how to think logically (as best I can). I try to share these ideas with others. I participate in government programs as the least as I can. I know that government roads are immoral but I still use them. I know that taxes are immoral but I still pay them so I won’t end up in a cell.

If others wish to risk their lives and properties kudos. But I am not. And if the minds of enough people haven’t changed to back you in your actions then your actions might be for not also — unless they cause people to back your cause, but if the culture hasn’t changed enough then they will just think that you are crazy.

This article is directed at the people who are already tax rebels. The point was to encourage them to come out of the closet. The point of this article was not to convince people to become tax rebels.

4. DaveNo Gravatar says:

This is a great article – well written and thorough in all ways. I especially liked the part about how innocent people get caught in the “system” all the time. This could be extended to many areas of life – people getting caught up in massive eviction systems even though they recently caught up paying their mortgages; farmers getting thrown in jail for saving seed from biotech companies (that they purchased from them); and on it goes…..
    What about being a tax protester by leaving for another country? I know you’re still paying taxes in the new country, but perhaps at a much lower rate. Would this be better in the long run – starve the beast by leaving? Eventually, enough people would leave, and those remaining would be held down more and more (and would, in effect, ignore the state altogether), that the system would collapse.

5. EdNo Gravatar says:

If it helps, I can tell you that I haven’t filled out a tax return since 1985. In 1986 the IRS contacted me about not filing and I sent back a note telling them that I didn’t earn enough to file. I never heard from them again and they never heard from me. I have never had a problem telling friends and family of this and why I do it. None, as far as I can tell, ever had a problem with it. Some do get pissed when I point out that every dollar that they hand over to the “government” is a dollar that they’re denying your family, but their not pissed at me. They’re pissed at the realization of what they’ve been doing.

6. ThunderboltNo Gravatar says:

Seth: Thank you for a great article and for having a sound moral compass.
    I was a physician who refused to pay taxes. Of what use is it to heal a child while paying Bush or Obama to murder millions of men, women, children, dogs, yaks, etc., and destroy their countries. Yes, I went to prison. I was an example for them to flaunt. Perhaps I was also an example for my children that doing the right thing is important.
    I recently found out how the game can be played to not pay taxes. Harry Browne had a tax adviser named Terry Coxson, who now works for Doug Casey Research. Form an international trust, with you as a protector, but not an owner.
    Form an LLC, owned by the trust,which you manage. Subsume your money making into the LLC. The LLC can make loans to anyone it chooses for ? 100 years, including you. Something to look into.
    Apparently the cost can be as little as $ 5,000.

Thank you for your words. As for the LLC stuff, I’m not interested in asking permission for anything anymore. Furthermore, $5,000 is beyond my means.

“Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose.” – Kris Kristofferson

7. NoTaxNo Gravatar says:

I’m on YEAR 15! What bothers me is that even people who write articles against the income tax continually promote the fallacy that you will go directly to jail. The possibility is there, but the reality is that every year they go after some celebrity to keep the people in line. Look at the statistics of cases prosecuted; the numbers are on your side. It’s expensive to prosecute this, and most of us aren’t worth the bother and their resources are limited. Non compliance is the key to return to a free society.

Don’t use banks because they will hand your money over in a heartbeat. The IRS is the collection arm of the Federal Reserve Bank. The Gov. borrows money based on future tax collections. Non-compliance will starve the leviathan.

8. state haterNo Gravatar says:

From the NPR article: “These guys have tricks, tax collector mind-games, that they play to get people to do the right thing.”

Fuck these shit stains.

9. The slave is much safer complying with the masters wishes. It is safer for him and his family, until the master decides that he needs to take his child and sell it or have a evening of fun with his slaves, wife.

We all live as slaves but the truth is that our risk of disobeying is much lower than the risk slaves took in escaping their masters. Were the slaves wrong to try to escape? They were risking their lives and the lives of their family, but something that could be considered is that there are some things worth risking your life and safety for. Even the lives and safety of your family.

The assumption is that if you follow the rules and obey that you will be safe. Tell that to people who get shot in their homes by police when they make a mistake and storm the wrong address. Tell that to those people who get audited and loose their money, home and business because the IRS made a mistake.

The truth is that you can follow all the rules and never break a law and still be victimized by the government. Its happening more and more. Expect that trend to continue until people start to realize that there is more of us than there is of them and that all we have to do is stop complying.

• jonNo Gravatar says:

@Michael Ellis,

Reading the comments in this thread it appears that not paying taxes is not as dangerous as I thought. I agree that people can still get screwed even when they comply.

We had CPS enter our home when someone called the cops when they thought my 5 year old daughter was holding her baby sitter wrong at a restaurant (I wasn’t there but my wife said she was watching her the whole time and nothing was bad). The lady cop said it wouldn’t be reported to CPS. Low and behold Christmas Eve CPS shows up at the door. I told her she couldn’t come in unless she had a warrant at which point she said I was “threatening” her and said she would have the cops come and force her way in and possibly take our kids. At which point my wife and I got scared and let her in. I should have been recording the whole time. I prefer to avoid any conflicts rather engage them. So I was really taken aback when CPS showed up which made my thinking poor. Now we have HSLDA and if it ever happens again I’ll be recording everything.

Fighting for freedom is a very courageous thing. It’s hard to do knowing that this life is it and then your dead. I would prefer to live those years with my family in peace.

10. RichNo Gravatar says:

Seth,

I get it. You are interested in helping people to confront the facts and the issue of their slavery if they are still engaged with the tax code and the IRS, and encouraging others who have already left the center of the herd (where the sheep are often heard to say ‘they always eat the ones on the outside’) to declare it publicly, to demonstrate the benefits of freeing one’s self from tyranny.

Good luck to you. I have had two close friends choose your course and ultimately have to face the US prosecutors in court. One defeated them and the other did not.

I took the chicken way out and never made a fight of it (of this particularly).

It isn’t clear to me that people learn the lesson you are trying to teach by example. I have actually known many people who followed the advice of tax rebels. Some of them and some of those advising them studied and constructed good legal strategies for defense and others proceeded on faith – or something like faith, without seriously attempting to protect themselves.

The point I’m trying to make is that teaching and learning take place when something becomes the focus of everyone’s attention. I think this is usually when something dramatic happens, like an arrest or a riot or something that the ‘media’ just can’t resist.

If you are just trying to be free, you probably wouldn’t want that. If you are trying to teach people who are not familiar with your theory or beliefs, then you will have an opportunity (briefly) to show them something. The problem though, will be competition from the interests aligned against you. (They will do everything possible to make you look like a spastic fool who wants to destroy civilization). You don’t want to help those bastards (I mean bastard in the literal sense) teach that lesson.

I hope it doesn’t come to that for you. I hope you can be free and learn and teach a few people in the way that others have. I also hope that eventually there will be a sufficient number of people who understand their rights and their place in the world, so that tyrants are beaten decisively out of power.

Those are my hopes. I don’t have any predictions, but it’s your turn to promote a free way of life.

Thanks for what you are doing. Good luck.

11. Jim DaviesNo Gravatar says:

Seth, congrats and a lot of luck. You wrote about a “steal and concrete cage” and at first I thought there was a mis-spelling there. Perhaps not.

You wanted also to discuss the chances of “getting caught” and I’d say that they are close to 100% that you will hear from the IRS, 4 to 6 months from now. Their computers run well.

They will express surprise that they didn’t hear from you last month, and invite you to explain… on a handy form provided. The unstated implication is that there is some law that compels you to fill out that form.

If there is, I never read it. You may feel that an appropriate response is to say politely that you don’t think you’re required to file, and to ask that they explain how, if you’re mistaken. You don’t need to say that you will disobey such requirements even if they exist; let them assume otherwise.

Do your research, ready for their possible reply. They are dangerous people; in Ron Paul’s words, they form “the world’s largest terrorist organization.” You might review the sad case of Irwin Schiff, at TakeLifeBack.com/irwin

• Jim DaviesNo Gravatar says:

As a post script, I now hold the opinion that the tax issue is peripheral. The Feds can get along without i-tax, merely by printing and borrowing. A burgeoning tax rebellion would cause their alleged hearts to ache, but they would survive.

What matters is to eliminate government altogether, 100%. That, IMO, can be achieved only by persuading everyone not to work for it. That kind of support – employees, grunts – is the one kind without which they cannot do. A strategy for accomplishing this appears at http://takelifeback.com/oto/astrateg.htm

I do agree that the way to abolish the state is to get people to stop working for them. Although I haven’t got any hope in the takelifeback strategy. I think as Bitcoin continues to gain in prominence, and the Dollar less so, earning income in Dollars will become increasingly unpleasant. And vice versa for Bitcoin. Nobody will want to work for the state when they’re paying people in confetti and there are some really cool private/agorist firms out there paying in Bitcoin instead. That’s my hope anyways.

• Jim DaviesNo Gravatar says:

Well expressed, and I can see you may be right about working for confetti. That strategy is passive however, not proactive, would you not agree? – it depends for success on a massive collapse of the dollar, or any replacement fiat currency.

Hyperinflation has occurred several times in the past century, but in no case has produced a collapse of the state, they are pretty good at kicking cans down the road. Historically there have even been states, rather powerful and oppressive ones, that did not depend on fiat currency at all.

I prefer a strategy dependent only on the actions of freedom seekers.

No, I’m just a moron. I’ve just edited my spelling mistake. Thank you for pointing it out.

As for any correspondence with the I.R.S. I intend to take their letters and use them for tinder in my wood burning stove. I have nothing to say to them.

12. Hi Seth, well congrats on taking your stand!

I’m totally with you here. I’m in the UK and stopped funding the state through income tax after the illegal invasion of Iraq in March of 2003. I’m a highly paid contractor, and a finger-in-the-air estimate would be that the HMRC wants to take around £500,000 (close to $1million) from me.

As you already know, taking a stand by refusing to fund the state comes with significant risks. I know that they WILL come for me at some point, and they WILL be intent on putting me in prison.

Like you, I don’t even open mail from HMRC anymore. They have tried to doorstep me once, they have called my soon-to-be-ex wife to try and find me. They want “their” money.

In the UK, a recent law means that the HMRC can just take money out of your bank account. Luckily, I’m also waist deep in the Bitcoin community, and Bitcoins provide arguably the best asset protection in the world, so I keep little fiat, and store my wealth in BTC.

I also run an Internet business incorporated in the Seychelles (tax free) with an account their. Whilst not quite as secure, it provides another nice way to protect myself from the state.

I’m currently eyeing up a move to another country, I will see how that goes.

If you want to share war stories or strategies, ping me by email (which I assume you can see) or on Twitter @5flags

13. Jim DaviesNo Gravatar says:

There’s another aspect to the strategy of refusing to pay income tax: it cannot work. I mean that even if totally successful, it cannot eliminate government. It would reduce it, by perhaps a third or a half, but never to zero.

Proof: there were horribly destructive governments in place in America before the income tax was (allegedly) imposed, in 1914.

It’s today’s biggest single tax, but brings in only a bit less than half of all Federal revenue, and facilitates rather more than half of State revenues. If due to the brave actions of people like you it became uncollectible, what would happen?

The Feds would replace it with a VAT, and I’ll admit that its revenues would fall – because a sales tax hits everyone equally, whereas the i-tax hits only the better-off so it’s popular among the less-well-off. The States would scramble to enact new laws that would impose an i-tax that does not piggyback on the Federal one, and I don’t know of any State Constitution that would hinder them.

So the net of it would be a smaller government, but not a zero one. DA might have to be re-named the Daily Minarchist.

14. michaelNo Gravatar says:

@Seth.
    As an independent contractor their are a couple of ways to hide income. The key is never put your money in the bank.

1. Have checks made out to your name and then cash them at your clients bank. Let your clients know that the bank will be calling them to verify that it’s not a fraudulent transaction.
    2. Find a check cashing place and pay a 2% check cashing fee. Any town that has immigrant workers will have check cashing at liquor stores, ethnic food markets and lawn mower shops.
    3. Offer a discount for cash. 5%
    4. Some check cashing places will cash checks made out to DBA’s but that requires more paper work where you cash the checks.

Their are 1000’s of check cashing places in the city I live in and I’ve never heard of one getting audited. .

If your trade requires a contractor license the law allows you to work without one if you state that you are “officially unlicensed” on the side of your truck, on your business cards and work orders. A signed work order is a peer to peer contract between you and your client. The work order will have this printed on it.

“Officially not a licensed contractor as provided for in section 7027.2. All services are calculated at a labor rate of $37.50 per man-hour. Estimated time of jobs have been historically reliable, and is this is agreed upon pledge not to exceed estimated time without notice, explanation and authorization. Estimated time includes clean up, travel, etc.”

You can also run a hybrid business. Operate as above except only put enough money in the bank to pay your bills and expenses. Every year you file and show no income. They can only audit you for what they can track. Since you don’t make any money you can also apply for food stamps and welfare if your willing to fill out some extensive paper work.

Immigrants live this way all the time. They haven’t been indoctrinated in the American system so don’t have the same patriotism or suffer from the founding father complex .Most come from countries that are extremely statist or where bribery is how things get done.

15. FreeBorn AngelNo Gravatar says:

Eric ‘Whoru’ Williams

If you don’t know this fella’s name you should type it into http://www.startpage.com.

If you don’t volunteer into their system their system has no authority over you.

• AnonymousNo Gravatar says:

An even better name would be Marc Stevens(.net).

He seems to have worked out the solution to the statist problem,….