I’m Starting To Ditch E-Mail

November 20th, 2013   Submitted by Seth King

BMAs time goes on I become increasingly frustrated by email. There are simply too many downsides to traditional e-mail for me to continue its use long-term. There currently exists a superior alternative. All that’s left is for individuals to start boycotting e-mail and make the switch. Unfortunately, as we’re all heavily vested in e-mail, it’s going to take some pioneers.

In an attempt to incentivize Daily Anarchist readers to make the switch I have replaced the ability to subscribe to new articles via e-mail with the option to subscribe to our Bitmessage broadcast.

One of the things that bothers me about email subscriptions is the lack of built-in anonymity. When a person subscribes to Daily Anarchist via email, not only do I, Seth King, possess the subscriber’s email address, but so do Google and the NSA.

Contrast the email subscription process with Bitmessage’s broadcast subscriptions. Instead of having to give personal information to a site owner, including third or fourth parties, the broadcast subscriber gives zero personal information. Receiving Daily Anarchist broadcasts is as anonymous as tuning one’s radio. The broadcasts are simply public, being sent to anyone and everyone. It is implausable to know who is paying any attention to a broadcast.

That level of anonymity is great for subscribers. But as a content provider Bitmessage’s broadcast will save me money. You see, sending thousands of emails every month to subscribers is costly. The more emails I send the more expensive the plan I must pay for with my web hosting company. The reason for this is simple: administering email requires manpower. Skilled email administrators must constantly defend against attacks, keep track of logs, prevent spam and other abuse, and sometimes come under heat from federal regulators. None of this is the case with Bitmessage. The decentralized nature of Bitmessage is cost effective, private, and secure.

To be clear, old email subscribers to Daily Anarchist will still receive email updates for new blog posts. But I cannot guarantee for how long. Also, unfortunately there is no easy method at the moment to integrate Bitmessage into blog post comment subscriptions, so email will remain for that as well. However, I suspect it will only be a matter of time before a solution for that exists.

8 Responses to “I’m Starting To Ditch E-Mail”

1. Ryan TaylorNo Gravatar says:

I support your decision. Way to stay ahead of game, once again. We are sure to see more of this movement, away from email, by content providers for everyone’s benefit. As the realization of Bitmessage seeps throughout the web more netizens will take notice and make this amazing new tech more readily accessible for everyone else, if not only to serve their own needs. Way to go, Seth.

2. Applause from my end! Bitmessage does still need to undergo a security audit, last I checked, but we already know about email’s insecurity. I wonder how easily one could write a wordpress plugin to allow the comment form to accept bitmessage addresses instead of email addresses…

I see the following issue. To subscribe to notifications for only a particular blog post, one would need a separate bitmessage address for every post, correct? If I recall correctly, if someone doesn’t subscribe for a notice of followup comments wordpress just checks to see if their email address fits the pattern: text@text.text, and I think one could change the php code to test whether a string of text qualifies as a valid bitmessage address instead, so just verifying commenters shouldn’t pose too much of an issue, but then you’d need to generate a new address for a post and provide that address to readers on a page, which sounds trickier to program.

Yeah, I look forward to the day when there are wordpress plugins for Bitmessage. But in order for that to happen, there’s got to be a Bitmessage client running on the server that hosts the website, or at least the ability to tap a bitmessage daemon somewhere else. It needs autogeneration of addresses from the bitmessage client.

3. CharlieNo Gravatar says:

Why Bitmessage? RSS is better.

4. FranzNo Gravatar says:

So, for those of us in suburban and rural areas with very limited Internet bandwidth, who cannot use Bitmessage due to its unlimited bandwidth requirement, that means that we are excluded, I presume.

5. VanmindNo Gravatar says:

That’s understandable but misguided, choosing to stay inside the same prison while insisting on a cell within another block — Tor types make the same mistaken judgement. Instead, abandon internet altogether for decentralized private mesh networks and then use whatever open messaging protocols you want.

The legitimate goal isn’t to find a different communication service/application on the existing controlled network. The legitimate goal is to access a completely separate network. As with all other things, the catalyst for such a network jump will be a growing desire among average surfers for freedom above convenience.

Here’s another analogy: sure, government stooges might secretly enter your private domicile when you happen to be away, but that doesn’t mean you should ever volunteer to live in government dormitories. Internet is a communications dormitory courtesy of the emerging one-world government — it’s a honey pot convenience for enabling Big Data socialist fraud sticky enough to trap even multiple layers of onion.

Along with things like standard HAM radio, low-power AM/FM, sneaker-net or even pigeon-net, make time to research the following:

6. MelpomeneNo Gravatar says:

I follow this blog (and all my other blogs) through the RSS feed in a Open Source program called RSSOwl. I have wired it up so that all RSSOwl traffic goes through the Tor network (very simple, just start Vidalia and change the RSSOwl proxy settings to point to it).

In this manner I get hold of my news sources from independent news providers, without NSA getting to know what I read, without the blog administrators being able to see who I am and without giving my ISP the ability to see what I am reading. And everything is verifiable to lack backdoors since both Tor and RSSOwl is Open Source software.

I recommend this approach to anyone concerned with surveillance.

7. ED CURTISNo Gravatar says:

It is time NOT to hide or retreat from these thugs but to turn the world right side up and show how silly, impotent and CRIMINAL they really are to all.
    THEY HAVE NO GROUND TO STAND ON IN REAL REALITY!