Department of Labor Denied

October 23rd, 2012   Submitted by Seth King

The other week a lady from the Department of Labor decided to audit the restaurant I worked for. I say “worked” for because I recently quit that job for a completely unrelated issue. Anyways, my employers were freaking out just a little bit. And can you blame them? Even though they do everything by the book, there is always something the state can trump up to extort money from you.

In the course of her audit she felt it was necessary to interrogate all of the employees. She walked into the kitchen one day, flashed her badge, and said she’d like to ask all of us some questions. She turned to me first. I politely said “one moment please.” Then I walked off and left the room. So, she began her questioning of others before she got to me. I made a B-line for my smart phone because I had zero intention of answering any of her questions. I also wanted to record the encounter.

You’ll note in this video how uncomfortable she is in front of a camera. No penalties were levied against me as a result of my refusal to participate. My employers even stayed cool. Their attitude was to just go along to get along. I made it clear to them and all of my colleagues that her job is to build a case against us to extort money, plain and simple. I think a lot of my colleagues were surprised that one could refuse to talk to the “authorities” and get away with it. I definitely see this as a victory since my colleagues have been shown, from somebody they know, that the state really is a paper tiger. Enjoy the video!

16 Responses to “Department of Labor Denied”

1. dpalmeNo Gravatar says:

Funny, why are people so fidgety being recorded on a phone when they’re videotaped by the feds on a daily basis in a lot of cases.

2. Rick DiMareNo Gravatar says:

Seth, check with a Fourth Amendment attorney, but I think you’re within your rights to require a warrant, based on probable cause, in situations like this. Even for most routine inspections, government agencies don’t have a right to engage in “fishing expeditions” unless they have solid evidence that you’re doing something wrong.

You remind me of when I was much younger and challenging the authority of almost every government official that was impacting on my business. I was even at the point where I was challenging the utility companies.

Also, for what it’s worth, a little introspection to question your own motives would be a good investment. This will help assure that you channel your anti-authority energies properly. (For me, I found that my visceral resentment toward authority was routed in childhood experiences with overbearing parents/caregivers.)

My motive is to abolish the state. One great way to do that is to not legitimize it by answering it’s questions. The more resistance the state gets, the more it will shrink.

3. Hehe, Great for You now I hope others will see that they have no power over those that do not readily submit.

4. macsnafuNo Gravatar says:

I think most people are uncomfortable being videotaped, so it’s an understandable reaction, government agent or not. However, a real issue is the hypocrisy involved in thinking that it’s okay for the government agents to videotape people, but it’s not okay to videotape government agents.

If you really want to piss them off, you can say that they shouldn’t have a problem with being videotaped if they have nothing to hide. 😉

5. J.C. HaysNo Gravatar says:

FANTASTIC!!!!!! I’M REPOSTING!

6. Bob RobertsonNo Gravatar says:

Bravo. Simply, bravo.

7. MAMNo Gravatar says:

They interview and interrogate people because they need information never answer their question as a matter of self preservation. Refusal to cooperate with the authorities has saved more than one person I know from the State.

8. StevePNo Gravatar says:

Any retrospective thoughts on how you might have handled the encounter differently? Situations like these can be viewed also as opportunities to educate others about liberty while simultaneously standing up for one’s personal rights against intrusive state authority.

9. DerfNo Gravatar says:

That taxtaker terrorist is not even human..Just throw the little terrorist out the door like you would a rat or cockroach.

• fangNo Gravatar says:

People are people,given a different upbringing you could have been in her shoes. Even though granted her job makes her…. should i say immune from some liberties. Still…. if you throw a rat out, you will have 20 more at the door.

10. Excellent. Excellent. Excellent.

11. harkinNo Gravatar says:

Funny how she was very uncomfortable when she was the one being questioned, even trying to take control on private property.

12. BenNo Gravatar says:

I’m from the government and I’m here to help you. Great video.