Daily Anarchist Annual Fundraiser

August 2nd, 2012   Submitted by Seth King

It’s that time of year again when I ask for alms. But before I do so, I’d like to give you an account of how far the Daily Anarchist has come, what its current hurdles are, and where we’re going.

One year ago when I did my fundraiser we had just cleared the month of July and received roughly 8,500 unique visitors for the month. During the month of August I received only a single, solitary, donation. It was for $100, however, and it really helped to boost my morale to continue the website. I’m glad I did, too, because the website has grown so much so that last month Daily Anarchist received over 35,000 unique visitors for the month; a new record.

That’s a four-fold increase in readership. And by the looks and feel of it, Daily Anarchist is set to see continued increases in traffic over the next year.

As I prepared for my annual fundraiser this month I took into account that we have roughly four times as many readers as we did a year ago. Therefore, a rough estimate of how much I could look to raise left me with about $400 in total donations. That might sound like a lot, but let me give you a quick run-down of my expenses.

Every month I spend $50 for the virtual private server that hosts Daily Anarchist. That alone exceeds my estimated total donations. But that cost is completely dwarfed by how much I pay my authors for their content. Last month alone I paid $900 total to three different authors. That’s an astounding amount for somebody who earns roughly $2,000 a month as a waiter. The rest of my earnings go towards rent, utilities, food, and gasoline. Needless to say, I do not live the high life. The amount of money I’ve spent on Daily Anarchist in the last three months could have bought round-trip tickets for my wife and I to go to Europe.

Is my business model crazy? Maybe. But I don’t regret it. I am working towards the day that Daily Anarchist runs in the black. But until then I am putting every last dime I can scrap together into spreading the message. I’ve been going for broke since the ’08 campaign and I have no intention to stop now.

That being said, I need your help. What I really need is a morale boost. Normally, this is when I would slap up the Paypal donation bar and ask for money. But I’m not going to do that this time. I’m going to do something different.

They say beggars can’t be choosers. I disagree. As of today I am removing the Paypal donation button from my donation page and will only be accepting Bitcoin donations. I can no longer stand to propagate an obsolete payment system when I know something infinitely better exists. That is why I am asking for donations in Bitcoin only. The consequence of such an action is that I will likely receive a fraction of what I would with Paypal donations. I say so be it.

One of the beautiful qualities of sending payment through Bitcoin is that individuals can transfer extremely small values of bitcoin without prohibitively high fees gobbling up the micro donation. I understand that people are broke right now. Hell, I’m broke. And often times I want to send 50 cents or a Dollar’s worth of a donation to an organization I support. But I refuse to do so when they are only accepting Paypal as a donation method, because I know that most of the donation will be consumed by fees.

So, as I ask for donations in bitcoin this month I want you to keep in mind that with Bitcoin you can send me a fraction of a penny’s worth of bitcoin and I will still receive it in whole. And yes, I would be perfectly happy to receive micro donations from you, because it tells me that you appreciate what I do and look forward to me continuing my work.

If you’ve never used Bitcoin before now is the perfect time. If only to say thanks to me and boost my morale you can visit https://blockchain.info/wallet/ to create a quick online wallet to get started. Then you can go to dailybitcoins.org and receive a very small amount of free bitcoins. You can then send it to me and you will have completely joined the Bitcoin economy. That alone is a great way to donate this year. I hope you’ll do it.

So, without further ado here is my Bitcoin donation address. Thank you!

1JoyZBGXKdSSeTpLHMLGTSLUDKbLLjWqjt

32 Responses to “Daily Anarchist Annual Fundraiser”

1. BlackandGr9yNo Gravatar says:

LET THE DONATIONS COMMENCE! :O

Seriously, though, switching to Bitcoin is a pretty risky move. As much as I hate fiat currency, a plethora of liberty websites (including anything run by Ron Paul) still accepts. Still, I think this is a very interesting plan. This may actually get you to attract more people from outside this site and support its mission.

I will get my donation on in a bit, Seth. Thanks.

2. Is there a convenient way to convert actual dollars into bitcoins? By the time I accumulate any the cpu way, you’ll be on your 2015 donation drive.

3. BlackandGr9yNo Gravatar says:

There are a few websites out there that allow you to convert USD into Bitcoins. Here’s one:

4. BlackandGr9yNo Gravatar says:

Shit. Seth, I’ve got a little problem. Unfortunately, I can’t donate any bitcoins to you because I have a bitcoin total that’s less than one dollar. Unless my count is above the one dollar mark, I can’t make a donation.

5. BlackandGr9yNo Gravatar says:

When I try to send you a payment, I get the following error message:
    “Insufficient funds. Value Needed 0.01047132 BTC. Available amount 0.00997132 BTC”

I’m using blockchain to send you the transfer.

6. RyanNo Gravatar says:

I voted! Wait, no, that can’t be right. Donated! Keep up the good work!

Haha! And a PHAT donation at that! And I haven’t yet paid you for last month’s earnings! Thanks, bro!

• RyanNo Gravatar says:

My pleasure. It’s actually better that you’re accepting Bitcoin donations because I have more spare BTC than I do US$ and the value of Bitcoin just jumped up pretty good today.

• Zell FazeNo Gravatar says:

Aye. Me too.

Next time I get more Bitcoin (fairly soon I hope) I’ll give you more.

Great site; I love what you guys write. Keep up the great work.

7. BlackandGr9yNo Gravatar says:

Thanks, Seth! I recalculated the transfer numbers and was able to get the money out to you. Check your donation page for me to make sure the money went out OK.

Was that you that sent 4 transactions of 0.001 BTC? Ha! You could have just sent 1 transaction of 0.004 you know! Thanks a bunch, though!

8. MarthaNo Gravatar says:

I was scanning for the paypal button when I saw the name of the article. I have avoided bitcoin because I am an old dog, and I don’t always like learning new tricks. But I have been very curious about bitcoin. Now I have a reason to check it out! I will take time later today, when my husband is home and can learn with me, to start a bitcoin account, and send you some of those bitcoins.

9. dpalmeNo Gravatar says:

Donated! Not a whole lot, but at least it’s something.

10. BlackandGr9yNo Gravatar says:

I might as well donate the rest to you, Seth. I don’t use the coins for anything else, and if it gives me the chance to see this awesome and intellectual site continue to run, it’s worth it.

Thanks man! Hopefully someday soon you’ll find a job that PAYS in Bitcoin!

• BlackandGr9yNo Gravatar says:

I’ve read a plethora of horror stories regarding PayPal and their operations. Many individuals have reported having their accounts locked because PayPal would not give the green light to their transaction orders.

11. Greg LilleyNo Gravatar says:

Hi Seth,
    Just sent you 5 BTC. I love your site and I wish more liberty-oriented sites would accept BTC donations – I’m sure they will eventually.

Another reason to dislike PayPal is that they have recently made it more difficult to deposit funds. I have had a PayPal account for many years, but recently they’ve restricted my ability to deposit funds because I haven’t sent them all of the documents required to comply with KYC and AML regs.

– Greg

12. helioNo Gravatar says:

I finally got around to getting tge client Now I gotta get some bitcoins in my wallet. Would really like to find a local activist who will sell me some as I dont trust the exchanges with my credit card.

• helioNo Gravatar says:

So I went the Dwolla/Bitinstant route. So my dwolla cash has to be there for 30 days before I can use it. Wtf. My donation will be alittlw late.

How come you decided against the cash/BitInstant route?

• helioNo Gravatar says:

Nearest person was up in Manch and I hate driving up there. It’s coptown, but you know that already.

I opted for the lazy approach. My Dwolla account transaction hit the 30 day mark so bitinstant just accepted the transaction. I sent it directly to your address because my wallet isn’t really secure right now and I wanted you to get it before I headed to Florida for the wedding. Wasn’t much but now I can set up recurring transfers.

13. AuNeroNo Gravatar says:

Sorry, I’m a newbie.

What site do I go to convert dollars into bitcoin? Then what site do I go to send bitcoins to you?