Franconia, New Hampshire

February 13th, 2012   Submitted by Seth King

At last! My wife and I have finally made it to the part of New Hampshire where we’ve long wanted to live. Before leaving California in the middle of summer, last year, the goal was to move to Grafton County where the population is sparse and the mountains and trees abound.

We couldn’t, however, head straight to Grafton County from California. As a nurse, my wife was unable to apply for jobs in her field in the state of New Hampshire without first getting her New Hampshire Nursing License. But before she could get that, she’d first have to establish legal residency in the state. Ridiculous, I know. But so is the sad state of affairs when dealing with heavily regulated industries.

So, with this road block in mind we set off for the city that offered the most job opportunities for entry-level workers: Manchester. It took six months for my wife to land a nursing job in the state, and the location of that job decided where we would live. We were willing to live anywhere in the state of New Hampshire but with the long-term goal of moving to Grafton County. Fortunately, that goal did not take long to realize.

During our time in Manchester I was easily able to find two separate serving positions in nearby restaurants and my wife found a sales position at Macy’s. We were also able to keep our overhead low by sharing a porc manor apartment with other free-staters.

To be honest, neither of us particularly enjoyed living in the city of Manchester. It hasn’t really got anything spectacular going for it except the enormous number of free-staters that also live there. This also benefited us little, however, as both of us are mostly home-bodies and relatively anti-social.

That’s not to say I regret having first moved to Manchester. If I could do it all again, I would. It offered us a foot in the door to the rest of New Hampshire and allowed us the opportunity to network with many like-minded activists.

Where we are now is much more our style. Franconia is a town of 1,100 nestled in the White Mountain National Forest. Its nearest sizable city is the state Capital, Concord, of only 42,000 people and is a distance of roughly 80 miles away. Despite the town being well situated for the SHTF, the entire area is thriving. Furthermore, for outdoor enthusiasts like us the mountains offer unlimited activities for every season, including my personal favorites of mountain-biking, hiking, and snowboarding.

If that isn’t enough, the town folk so far seem to be classy, educated, and open to anarchist ideas. Consider a personal anecdote as evidence. Shortly after our arrival to Franconia I had set out to look for work. I applied at a nearby restaurant for a waitstaff position that was available. I sat down and talked with the owner for an hour and a half. The entire time was spent not discussing my skills as a waiter, but of anarchism, Bitcoin, the criminality of the war of drugs, and the immorality of so-called Intellectual Property. This was a potential employer I was talking to, mind you. Sure enough I was offered the job. Within eight days of arriving in Franconia I had searched for, found, and started a new job at a fine dining establishment.

So, my plans for the foreseeable future include working off debt, preparing for worst case scenarios, spreading the message, and spending considerable time outdoors. I hope you’ll join me in the free state. I have every reason to believe that both the vocational and social opportunities here will exceed your wildest expectations.

23 Responses to “Franconia, New Hampshire”

I am glad to hear that things have worked out for you and your wife. Viva Manchvegas wasn’t for you. Robert Frost lived in Franconia. You won’t have far to travel for Porcfest.

$

2. Ron HelwigNo Gravatar says:

Awesome! Thanks for the Porc Manor plug.

You mention that you’re both anti-social. I’d bet you’re really just introverted, which is a somewhat less loaded term.

And it sounds like your new boss might be easily persuaded to accept and use Shire Silver as well. Imagine if you could get a bunch of the businesses there using it (and get the referral fee for signing them up).

3. dpalmeNo Gravatar says:

Man, Franconia sounds great! I didn’t know the population was so sparse. That’s about how many folks live in my town. I like living in the middle of no where as well.

4. justsaynotostatismNo Gravatar says:

Wow. Is that photo from Grafton County?

5. Ryan TaylorNo Gravatar says:

It sounds like you’ve found your happy place. I’m stoked for you both and can’t wait to come visit! Way to go on the job, too. I’m so sick of being told to keep my “unpopular” views to myself for fear of scaring off potential employers and clients. You are a fantastic example, my friend.

My mother and I were just discussing the other night how impossible it is to have serious conversations with people in California. Californians are threatened by serious topics. It’s not that way at all in New Hampshire as far as I’ve noticed.

6. Kathy KingNo Gravatar says:

Pops and I are officially signed up to move to New Hampshire. Two more folks the Project can count on. We’re excited!
    Like you, Ryan, people used to tell me I might hurt my business by expressing my views. So be it!

7. rotten777No Gravatar says:

I read stories like this daydreaming the day I can sell my two companies and uproot my wife and hopefully our few future adopted kids and ditch Florida. I’m very envious. Thanks for sharing the story. It gives me hope.

8. Bob RobertsonNo Gravatar says:

I really don’t mind living in Manch, except for the litter. I’ve lived on both coasts, north and south, even over-seas, and Manch has the worst litter problem I’ve ever seen. So much for “city trash service” actually solving a problem!

If I could teleport to work, I’d be out in the woods too. Oh well, time will tell. Maybe I’ll figure out how to run an online business some day and make myself location-independent.

Bob-

9. rotten777No Gravatar says:

1 business is a managed IT services company which is bursting at the seems with work. The other is a web design/programming/hosting/online marketing company which is a seedling. Eventually I’d like to sell the managed IT services company and just use the other one to finance the move.

10. Pat KNo Gravatar says:

Congrats I love it when a plan comes together. :)

11. PericlesNo Gravatar says:

Did you know that the DC Political Terrorist Organization just claimed that the “Sovereign Citizen” is the biggest threat to Amerika? You New Hampshire people are all terrorists in their eyes.

12. MAMNo Gravatar says:

What’s law enforcement like up there? Do the pop po have strong numbers?

13. TrueNHNo Gravatar says:

As a person born and raised in the great state of NH, I am going to say you are no different from the socialists that move to the state to change it. Please leave the state as you found it. Also, the free state movement is about trying to change the political climate of the state, so they have no business there either. If you have a problem with your state, fix the problem; do not run away from it.

No, the socialists have lots of power in a lot of states. Then they mess things up, don’t like the results, and then find a better place to move to, only to mess it up some more.

Libertarians have virtually no power anywhere and are looking for one place we can huddle together to call our own. Considering that New Hampshire is the most libertarian state in the nation, I think it can be said we’re stepping on the least amount of toes here. You may not like us, but there are a ton of New Hampshire natives that are welcoming us with open arms.