Free State Project Reaches 1000 Early Movers

January 31st, 2012   Submitted by Seth King

Today, the Free State Project has achieved five percent of its goal to get twenty thousand liberty-minded individuals to move to the state of New Hampshire. These early movers, including myself, decided that they couldn’t wait to reap the rewards of living in close proximity to many of the world’s most die-hard libertarian activists. At the time of this writing there are nearly twelve thousand participants, or more than half, of the people necessary to spark a mass migration of libertarians to the “Live Free or Die” state.

If you’re uncomfortable with the lack of freedom in your life or the direction things are headed in your locality, consider moving to a state that liberty lovers are moving to, instead of fleeing from. I can attest to the many opportunities, both social and financial, that await you in New Hampshire. Sign up today!

39 Responses to “Free State Project Reaches 1000 Early Movers”

1. AgoristTeen1994No Gravatar says:

While NH is a great state, it’s population density is too high for my tastes, plus it’s too close to the Nanny States of Vermon, and Massachusetts as well as Canada….so while NH is the right state for SOME liberty-lovers, I strongly encourage people to also take a look at Wyoming and the Free State Wyoming project.

Any time a liberty lover moves to Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, Alaska, or New Hampshire, I’m happy. Any time a hardcore statist LEAVES one of those states, I’m happy.

• HReardenNo Gravatar says:

How many Free Staters are currently in WY? I have heard very little about the Free State WY Project. There are videos and websites all over the internet and YT showing activism that Free Staters in NH have been involved in. What has been going on in WY? Is there events in WY on par with PorcFest and the Liberty Forum in NH? I find your comment regarding the population of NH rather amusing. I live in the 4th largest state in poulation and soon to be 3rd because of it’s every growing population. The population in the entire state of NH is not much more than in the county I live in which in land area is actually the 2nd smallest in the state. No, NH is not very populated. That’s a joke. I would feel very comfortable in NH a lot more room.

$

2. AgoristTeen1994No Gravatar says:

Ah I can agree with you there. Esp. on that last part. 🙂

3. DarrenNo Gravatar says:

With all due respect, I’d like to present a contrary POV on the FSP. Putting so many activists in one small state may move that state in the right direction but it comes at the expense of the rest of the world. Every person that moves to NH is one less person in the area they left advocating liberty to their neighbors. For example, here in PA I’m the only libertarian that I know of in my development. When I can I talk about liberty to my neighbors. If I move to NH I’m just one of a bunch that is already enlightened.

Also, if NH really gets going the Feds can shut it down by not only withholding funds but by police actions like the DEA raids & IRS action. I know they can do that everywhere, but if NH is moving away from the way the rest of the country is it is easier to pounce on them, there will be less objection from the masses. We need to bring everyone around as evenly as possible.

For reasons like these I say it is best to stay put & engage in activism.

• HReardenNo Gravatar says:

Well some people prior to moving to NH felt like they were banging their head against a wall and not getting anywhere. Moving to one place sounds like a good idea to me. I hope someday I can move. It is more likely that liberty can be achieved by a group effort in one place than by dived efforts everywhere else including PA. Especially Philly or PItt or Harrisburg, King of Prussia, State College. etc… Have you been to Northumnerland? I wonder how free it is in Northumberland. I would like to visit Dr. Priestley’s home and enjoy a bottle of soda water in Northumberland.

$

Libertarians are about 1-2% of every population and likewise are 0% effective. Perhaps if we can increase our percentage in a small area we might actually look more credible.

Also, one of the nice things about leaving your current state is that you are no longer supporting that state’s government. For example, 8 cents out of every dollar I spent went straight to the California state government when I lived there. Now that I’ve left I am one less productive member of society supporting that vampire state, which will in turn help it to collapse sooner.

Also, if you’re worried about too many libertarians conglomerating in one locality, don’t. The goal is to get 20,000 libertarians to move to New Hampshire. That’s but a small fraction of the libertarians of the entire country. Florida just gave Dr. Paul 120,000 votes for example.

New Hampshire is also for people who want a less intrusive state in their lives RIGHT NOW. But hey, if you can stomach PA more power to you.

• RJ MillerNo Gravatar says:

I think you hit the nail on the head in that first paragraph. Within my own social circles I find that strength really does come in numbers and given the fact that most serious Libertarians are too sparsely located nationally to do much of anything where they are now – other than try to increase their numbers.

Lately I have really started to understand how you feel in regards to how hard it can be to find like-minded people offline.

• RichNo Gravatar says:

They can put their ‘funds’ where the sun can’t shine.
      NH is not the only place (you’ve heard of Montana also…) that is taking steps in the right direction and the possibility of disrupting federal programs is a positive benefit to the growth of this movement.

I’m not a porcupine, but I moved there for the same reason that the free state project exists, a long time ago.

Being afraid of eth federal government will do you no good if you want to be free – BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

4. DarrenNo Gravatar says:

No, I don’t like the way it is in PA I’m just saying that the thing to do is stay engaged with people where we are. You all know the saying about the grass is always greener.

Perhaps my view is different because of my experience. In ’93 I moved to Venezuela just to end up 6 years later living under comrade Chavez’s socialism. So I came back to PA. The lesson I took away from this was that the grass isn’t always greener sometimes it’s redder. 🙂

I hope I’m wrong about FSP, I’d love to see it work, but my gut tells me that if it starts to go anywhere the state govt & the Feds will squash it. The first battle to win is for the hearts & minds of the people. Only then do you start to take action. FSP is jumping the gun.

5. tom ploszajNo Gravatar says:

Depending of your comfort level, in WY all aone or in NH where any day of the week not only can I interact with Libertarians and Free Thinkers but where every day a Liberty Activist is DOING something instead of talkinig about the “ifs”. From broadcasting radio messages, protesting the Manchester Airport’s TSA, serving as a state representatives (over 50 FSP supporters), speaking on libertybills, handing out juror education info, socializiing choices from younger voluntarists to goups, families…. google “New Hampshire Liberty” then any other satate and see where Liberty is happening….

6. AgoristTeen1994No Gravatar says:

@tom ploszaj.

1. I wouldn’t be “all alone” in Wy…..there are plenty of pro-liberty people in WY and other states in that area like Idaho and particularly Montanoa…on the FSW forums there are quite a few anarchists, and in meatspace there are several anarchists/agorists in NorthEastern WY particularly Crook County…including MamaLiberty the writer of the “Price of Liberty” blog. http://www.thepriceofliberty.org/

2. IIRC they have an annual “9-12 FSW Jamboree” as their PorcFest equivalent though admittedly it isn’t as widely attended. Also that’s not counting the other events. As for activism whereas activism in NH is more along the lines of “in-your-face active resistance” FSW members in WY, particularly the anarchists among them, mostly just ignore the gov’t.

While WY and the FSW DO have their faults overall their a lot better for people like me who prefer wide open spaces, and rural life to living in large cities, though WY does have two decent sized cities for those that would want to live there.

7. Daniel DNo Gravatar says:

My girlfriend and I are contemplating moving there. We’ll likely go to PorcFest to check it out and make a final decision. I’m from southern California and she’s from Illinois, so she kinda likes being out here and away from the snow so that might be one thing holding her back. If the state is as Agorist as we hear that will eliminate her reservations quickly since we are both vary weary of statist (particularly the cult-like Constitutionalist).

8. assasin7No Gravatar says:

I would go but i’m 15 and don’t want to run away, so i’m going once i turn 15

9. VolSocietyNo Gravatar says:

I congradulate the FSP on its milestone .I myself am considering moving to Cafayate Argentina after I finish school. Doug Casey is attempting to build a libertarian community there so that when the US goes underwater we can juat watch from our tv screens. FSP members and other libertarians might be prime targets for the state in the event of an authorirarian clamp down.

10. NoNamesNo Gravatar says:

This whole project reminds me of what SEK3 said about “anarcho-zioninism”.

In all seriousness, there are 1.3 million people in this area called “New Hampshire” already. So it’s 20k libertarians vs. 1.3 million statists right off the bat. And even worse is the fact that many statists from Massachusetts and New York have been pouring into NH before the project began. How do free staters plan on resisting this?

Concentrating libertarians/market anarchists in one area is IMO a very bad idea. Not only will the federal government know where all the freedom fighters are, but it will no doubt take away would-be anti-statist activists in other cities/areas/regions.

The whole FSP looks like a pyramid scheme anyway. Before NH was picked as the state they were originally going to go with Alaska, since Alaska met most of their original criteria. When voting happened and no one wanted to move to AK, the project founders changed the criteria so NH would be the best fit. The project was supposed to end in 2006 anyway. Its founders believed there’d be a critical mass by that time and they’d get 20k signups by the middle of 2006, and if they didn’t they promised they’d disband all together. When that didn’t happen they changed the FSP from a “project” to a “movement” rather than give up. It says something.

Free staters were kicked out of Grafton early on and now the ones in Keene are hated so much by the locals that they’re almost on the verge of being ostracized. If anything, this makes libertarianism look bad. The free staters in Keene have given people the impression that libertarians are just potheads and/or goldbugs. Not the image I want to portray.

If for no other reason, I am enjoying much less state threats of violence living in New Hampshire than I was in California. It’s also nice living in a state that liberty folk are moving TO instead of fleeing FROM.

Dare I say you’re still thinking like a minarchist. Clearly, 20k will not override 1.3 million in the elections. But for anarchists, it’s not a majority wins game. There are many things anarchists/agorists can accomplish in greater numbers that cannot be done when spread out too thin. This isn’t strictly a numbers game. And even if it were, 20k is hardly a dent in the number of libertarians in the United States. So, your fears of concentrating ALL of the libertarians in one area are unfounded.

• NoNamesNo Gravatar says:

No surprises there. California is incredibly statist and it’s obvious. But NH is also statist as well, it’s just far more obscure with its statism. For example, I’ve read that NH has extremely high property tax. I’m not sure how that compares to income tax but theft is theft as far as I’m concerned.

I was looking at the forums on mises.org a while back and noticed that certain members had posted about the FSP. A few users on there were trying to convince others to, if not move, at least give the FSP a chance and be open to the possibility of moving or supporting the movement in the future. Turns out almost no one wanted to join the movement. Not just that, but they gave fairly good reasons why: the project is collectivist in nature since its whole point is to get libertarians to join a collective, cops in NH seem worse than they are in other non-urban areas, NH is really no less statist than, say, Georgia or Kansas, lack of job prospects in NH, and that it’s much better to have libertarians spread out in a decentralized manner than have them concentrate into one state. Think of it this way: what if all the Jews living outside of Europe had moved to Palestine back in 1939? They would have been sitting ducks for Hitler. We know the Federal government doesn’t have much time left and there’s a chance certain states could break away, but why have tens of thousands of some of the most anti-Fed people in the country move to one state? The Feds would know exactly where these people are and could do something really drastic to prevent secession.

I don’t know, the whole project seems like a dead end. I personally think SEK3 was right in attacking “anarcho-zionism” as a tactic. It’s superficial and collectivist in its means and I’d find better ways to deal with the state.

• tom ploszajNo Gravatar says:

Misinformation abounds…. No “Free Stater” has ever been “kicked out” of Grafton. The early trouble makers to whom you may be pertaining to, like those whom spread FSP/Grafton misinformation, never lived in Grafton. There are over 50 liberty oriented people whom moved to Grafton. Living, working and volunteering alongside their neighbors as elected officials, firemen, EMTs and agorists.
      Ask those who berate the NH liberty activists, what activism they are doing other than typing complaints on the web.
      Readers may choose to go along with the NH/FSP misinformation or they can research for themselves what is happening. Come visit the Peaceful Assembly Church, Burning Porcupine and meet liberty activists in Grafton or better yet come spend a week at PorcFest 2012 where over 1000 gather during the FSP’s annual summer event, since you may have missed out on the FSP’s winter NH Liberty Forum event. Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe there is more liberty activism happening in one day in NH, along with over a dozen Free Staters and supporters already elected to the State house, than in a year anywhere else. Do a web search of “ New Hampshire liberty “- and see what a few hundred Free Staters can do. Then search any other state to compare. I’ll let others correct the misrepresentation about Keene, if they have the time, being that they are busy doing liberty outreaches daily.

• NoNamesNo Gravatar says:

This case was what I was referring to when I said “kicked out of Grafton”.:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2004/06/2 0/graftons_messy_liberation/

From what I understand, some of the first free staters who moved to NH were trying to take over one particular town, and they picked Grafton because it has only 1000 people and very few zoning laws. I’m not 100% clear on the details though. This article is all I know of the situation.

I’ve done plenty of searches for ‘New Hampshire liberty movement’ or ‘New Hampshire libertarians/agorists’ and I never find much. I have no clue about what’s currently happening in Grafton. To my knowledge, the free staters in Keene are committing PR suicide with their antics. Manchester doesn’t look like it has much going on and neither does Nashua. Might I ask where you see most of the action taking place?

11. NickNo Gravatar says:

I am very sorry by saying this but it must be done. I am an Anarchist like the most of you that read this site. But, I am a Socialist. The reason for this is because I believe that the world is made up of how we connect to others and not how we differ from each-other. Capitalism to me is the most, selfish, egotistical and harmful thing I have seen. I could go to Africa where they have practically no rights and see people who are more connected to each other and care for one another. Anarchy can not be accomplished without Socialism, and I will explain why. When you have Anarchy, you have no one to govern you. You have yourself, but what happens when you need help or have something drastic happen? You must have others protect you and help you to keep you on your feet to better everyone else as well as yourself. When this is done there are two options. You could look to the Amish who are a shining example, such as the story as the farmer’s barn burning down and the community rebuilding it to help him. I live in Pennsylvania and have driven through Amish country. I have talked to them and asked them how do you live this lifestyle? They told me each other. That is the only way. The other option is buying protection from a company such as home owner insurance. Now, when you do this, you let the company make a decision on whether you deserve the money to rebuild anything of your home, such as accident or self harm. They literally control the fate of your home. Same with Health Insurance companies. If you do not have medical care they will not provide and protect for you! Now the second problem is inside the issue presented. The issue is money itself. Having a piece of paper that the government tells you is worth something is being owned by the government. You have no self worth. You are told by the government how much you are worth by how much money you have. If we were to live in an honest Anarchist society, we would HAVE to rid of money, big companies, and government involvement in personal issues and life. Now, would you rather have the security of your community helping you, or a company that does not know you personally and only wants your money, which is configured by a market that destroys and corrupts minds with greed. Who wants to be apart of a system that makes you believe that anything you own must be purchased with what they provide. Now back to the main issue, Capitalism is proven to leave people at the Top and leave people at the Bottom. You would argue then that a free market would not allow that to happen because people would stop consuming products that would harm their status. Well, we are buying oil still, and how many local oil companies can you name on the top of your heads? How many competitors are there other than large companies. We need oil and gas to function everyday and that is being a slave to society stuck in a cycle of suffocation using a piece of paper that isn’t worth what it is printed on. I am 18 years old and have had these ideas for 4 years. I know what I am talking about and am very knowledgeable. I go to school at a Christian School who all think I am crazy. I am not Republican and I am not Democrat. I am anti-capitalism and anti-control. I am not an Atheist, I am actually a Christian. I am just clarifying things that ignorant people might start stating.

You don’t look 18 in your facebook link.

13. tom ploszajNo Gravatar says:

Hi Nick.
    I believe the Amish free willingly donate their money and time, and nont only to just their community. The issue is the aggression and use of force which governments use. Socialism without the use of force could be acceptable if one could join and leave freely. There are all types of socialism and capitalism just with different amount of force to demand compliance. I was a constitutionalist until 5 years ago until I understood what liberty and being sovereign really is. It was being in NH with hundreds of the FSP types and the local residents who with the sharing, debating, learning, and understanding the essences of the types and levels of governmental control. I can be classified, for stereotyping, as a minarchist that there is still the need of a system for protection of life, liberty and property.

With no disrespect but I was 18 also and knew most everything then. Funny, I now realize how little I know now after an additional 50 year of living. Keep a personal journal and come to
    to meet and converse first hand with over 1000 liberty activists for a week and then note the any changes of beliefs. You will find that socialism is accepted if force is not use to sustain it.

14. NoNamesNo Gravatar says:

So I have made two responses to the people who responded to me, yet no one bothered to give me answers.

I’ll say it again: the FSP has already failed. I can’t believe the hype which is promoting the FSP as some kind of pioneer movement. It was doomed to go down the toilet from the very start. Having a large amount of *active* libertarians gather in one general region would kill liberty movements elsewhere. The Fed now knows where all the most anti-Fed activists are. NH doesn’t seem all that libertarian when you go there. Last month I was in New England (NH, Maine, Mass, and RI) and I didn’t think NH had a much stronger libertarian culture than Maine. The non-FSP population is not all that libertarian either. They’re mostly Massachusetts expats who want to turn Manchester and Nashua into mini-Bostons, meaning they want to vote for more taxes and regulations. The most disturbing thing I noticed was the huge presence the military industrial complex has. Of course free staters won’t tell you this, but Portsmouth has a naval yard and military companies like BAE are all over Nashua and Manch. Libertarian? Not really.

There was a comment on a recent youtube video by RidleyReport (a well known NH vlogger) which was talking about how likely it is that NH would take off as a libertarian society. This person was drawing on the fact that the largest black markets in the world are in places which are shitty, and since NH is doing much better than almost every other state it’s very unlikely that agorism would take off there. And there’s no way the NH state government would spend itself to collapse a la Michigan and Greece.

Face it: the FSP has failed before it even got started. I’d give up on it and focus on building libertarian communities where you are.

I guess we all have different definitions of success. But the Free State Project hasn’t failed for me. I love it here!

• NoNamesNo Gravatar says:

That doesn’t address anything I’ve written on here. How do you deal with the large number of statists moving to NH? Or the MIC? Or the fact that NH is mostly well-off and suburban to the point where very few people will want to see a huge change to the system they live in?

I thought I already addressed those matters. It isn’t strictly a numbers game. If you’re thinking like a minarchist then you might have a point because your increase in voting block is still slower than statist’s increase. But agorism does not require we outnumber statists for us to be effective.

And even if you are thinking like a minarchist you would still be wrong, seeing as how Free Staters have not only been getting elected to the state house, but have heavily influenced the direction of things in the Capitol.

• NoNamesNo Gravatar says:

I’m not thinking like a minarchist. I’m bringing up the main objections to the FSP’s goals of creating a more libertarian culture/society in a specific area. The problem is, NH is not a good fit as a destination, and even if it was I would still be completely against concentrating the bulk of the liberty movement into one state. Liberty activists in Colorado, Michigan, California, Pennsylvania, and Alabama will give up on creating a strong pro-liberty presence in their states and will instead hop on the train to NH. Also, what if the entire focus of the libertarian movement in the US starts revolving around NH the way college Jewish groups focus so much on Israel? It’s exactly what SEK3 warned about when he criticized “anarcho-zionism”. Decentralism is the way to go.

Numbers matter whether people vote or not. How can 20,000 or so libertarians compete with 1.3 million statists who are probably hostile towards libertarianism? How do you create a more libertarian culture if a huge amount of people in the area are not libertarians? How do you expect agorism to have an impact in NH if most people in NH have no incentive to participate in black markets?

Let me ask you this: if you were to explain to a libertarian FSP-skeptic about why you think he/she should join you in moving, what would you say? What makes NH a less aggressive state than other states? And what hope is there for making NH more libertarian?

You seem to me to be contradicting yourself. If there is so little hope for libertarians to create positive change in New Hampshire, what makes you think there is any better chance for lone libertarians living in a city or town against even greater numbers?

Also, I know S.E.K. III supposedly warned against Anarcho-zionism. I’m not challenging you there, but can you supply me a link to where he wrote or said anything about anarcho-zionism? I’m curious as to whether or not that is simply a myth that has been propagated or is actually documented somewhere.

• NoNamesNo Gravatar says:

So what makes NH a better place for libertarian activism? It has no income tax, so what? The gun laws are better, so what? Raw milk is legal, so what? That doesn’t mean the culture is libertarian or more libertarian than other parts of the US.

I’ve given you several reasons why I don’t think NH would work as a libertarian hotspot, and I’ve pointed out why a centralized liberty movement would not work. You haven’t done anything to back up your claims that moving a huge number of libertarians to NH is a good thing.

Fine. Don’t move to New Hampshire.

• NoNamesNo Gravatar says:

Look, I told you many reasons why I don’t think the FSP has any chance of working, and why I don’t think a movement like the FSP is in the best interests of libertarians and libertarianism in general. Instead of giving me reasons to think otherwise, you responded to me with asinine remarks. I’m asking you to defend the FSP, because I (and many, many other libertarians) are just not convinced.

16. JohnNo Gravatar says:

Gotta love that on their website, the unemployment statistics they advertise for NH are taken from 2008. LOL

17. For longterm respite, doctors commonly prescribe prophylactic dosages
    following the herpes is managed by the medication.