Farewell California!

July 7th, 2011   Submitted by Seth King

I’ve written my last letter-to-the-editor for my local paper. I did my best to list some of my grievances with the state. Normally, when people flee a dying state they keep their opinions to themselves, or at most share them with close friends and family. But I thought the people of California deserved to know why I’m leaving. Unfortunately, I was only allotted two hundred words for my article. I could have written a book.

As usual, the comment section is filled with statists, this time rejoicing at my departure. Others sympathize with my views and cheer me on, like a convict who takes pleasure in one of his fellow cage-birds successfully escaping prison. The truth is, everybody is happy that I’m leaving. I no longer like California and California doesn’t want me. I’m not the first person to flee this dying state and I won’t be the last. I’m just escaping while I still can.

Here’s my final letter. If you believe you would receive similar sentiments by those left behind in your state, please consider joining me, and so many others, in the Free State.

Update: There have been two letters published in response to my own. They can be read here and here.

19 Responses to “Farewell California!”

1. “Free State”… that’s a good one!

2. AdamNo Gravatar says:

“I’m just escaping while I still can. ”

Dramatizing your exodus a bit much don’tcha think? Anyhow, I hope you find what you are looking for.

Unless the Norcal coast moves somewhere else, I will probably never move from Norcal.

Okay, so the link I provided really wasn’t about not being able to escape. What I mean is that in the future it might not be financially possible to move, among other reasons.

NorCal would be a great place to live, were it not for the people. Do you really live on the coast, in the redwoods? If I lived there it would definitely be hard for me to move too. Actually, I hope some day I can come back and live there. But right now I need to be around like minds more than big trees.

Good luck to you in California! I don’t think its future is going to be very pretty.

• AdamNo Gravatar says:

Actually I am more or less your neighbor. I moved back to Auburn a few years ago.

As long as there are abalone to dive for and fish to spear, California’s future looks bright to me. :)

Are you an anarchist as well? If so, why have we never met?

• AdamNo Gravatar says:

I am not an anarchist. Our paths crossed paths a few times in high school, but not in any memorable way.

That’s not fair! You know who I am but I don’t know who you are. :P

I don’t expect you to give me your last name over the internet, but do you care to give me a hint? What year did you graduate?

Anyways, what’s holding you back from being an anarchist? Also, how did you stumble upon this site? I’m very curious.

• AdamNo Gravatar says:

Seth,

I graduated in 98, and we had some mutual friends.You and I had a discussion on FB a while ago about environmental regulation (remember I am a scientist for the big bad California Department of Fish and Game). I also goof around on the Auburn Journal online site (Joszef Pelikan).

I have a much different world view and philosophy than you and your fellow anarchists, but I enjoy reading and thinking about differing points of view.

Ahh yes!

Chances are I would remember your face from high-school before I would remember names. You were a year ahead of me though, so yes, it would have been seldom at most.

Well, I’m glad to read you’re lurking around the website. Although, I have to admit the content isn’t really geared towards non-anarchists very much, and definitely not towards statists. Ha!

When I write it is kind of assumed that the readers understand where I am coming from. For example, in this short blog I write about leaving California while I still can. Ostensibly we can all leave California whenever we want. But I am operating under the belief that we really only have so much time before the big crunch happens. See link for more details.

http://dailyanarchist.com/2010/07/02/peter-schiff-describes-our-e conomic-mess/

• JustSayNoToStatismNo Gravatar says:

I strongly encourage you to reignite that discussion on this site’s forum. I like good debates.

3. David GiesselNo Gravatar says:

I think large corporations in California will buy their campuses from the state in the not too distant future, creating private jurisdictions free of taxation.

4. JessicaNo Gravatar says:

Congrats! Excited to meet you in NH someday- we live a state over for now… Also- I love your wife’s artwork! Good luck with the move and have fun settling in!

5. Steve PNo Gravatar says:

The only thing keeping us here in California right now is Prop. 13. We live with my mother -in-law whose home was purchased in the 1970s and is now fully paid for. Annual property tax is less than $600! Despite the high state income taxes, sales taxes, and sundry other fees and surcharges, the fact that it costs us so little to keep a roof over our heads makes it worthwhile financially to remain here. I don’t how other people can survive here with mortgages (unless they work for the government), so I understand why many choose to leave. The state is broke and going down the tubes fast. My biggest concern is what the crime rate will be like as desperation sets in for more and more people.

6. I. M. PericlesNo Gravatar says:

You may want to call it “Freer State” since it is FAR from free – being within the USA Tax Farm.

Kalifornia has a problem in that most people there are drop-dead stupid and need a mommy-n-daddy Gubermint to burp and diaper them. The landmass and climate are wonderful but the people are stupid parasitic runts which makes the place intorerable to human adults…The weak little entitlement brats speak to you as if they own you and your income…Average Kalifornians are even more stupid than the Greeks.

I *HATE* democrats more than I hate muggers and rapists…Anyone who thinks they own me because they out-number/vote me needs to be eliminated from planet Earth.

7. Earl KocabNo Gravatar says:

This might be a little off topic but we have decided to hire a moving service and are shopping for an honest moving organization. We were thinking of using this organization, Movers4Less 1992 N Main St Walnut Creek, CA 94596 – 925-309-6130. Is there some sort of movers scam or review site I can use to do a background check?