Medical Anarchy

April 7th, 2011   Submitted by Seth King

This is my first installment in what will be an ongoing series on alternative medicine. Years before I had converted to anarchism I learned firsthand that mainstream medicine isn’t all it’s quacked up to be. But while many anarchists are weary of corporate sick-care we are often guilty of not utilizing the best resource possible to diagnose and heal our ailments, the internet. This is likely because we lack confidence in ourselves, trusting instead so-called experts.

The medical-industrial complex banks on our fears. If we had any faith in our ability to self-heal their government enforced cartel would be in serious jeopardy.

This is not to say, however, that doctors are bad. A statement like that would be akin to saying scientists are bad. The truth is that some doctors are working against our best interests, just as are some scientists. The majority of doctors, much like scientists, are just going along with the mainstream, doing what is expected of them. A small minority, on the other hand, has taken a critical view of the incestuous relationship between medicine and the state. For over one hundred years, at least in America, the state has been wrapping its tentacles around a historically autonomous industry. It should come, then, as no surprise that the very body purported to regulate medicine has been overwhelmingly controlled by powerful special interests.

For the anarchist the thought of spending huge amounts of money on the pseudo-welfare scheme known as corporate insurance leaves him or her feeling ironically ill. Fortunately, there exists a healthy alternative; no pun intended.

For every medical condition there exists a potential diagnosis. When we are in pain or feel sick we often rely on physicians to tell us what is wrong and provide a remedy. But those are steadily becoming the days of old. After much research as well as empirical evidence I have come to the opinion that mainstream medicine is most effective for cases of trauma, but almost entirely unreliable for chronic, or long-term, pain and illness.

Instead, more people are turning to the internet to help diagnose and cure their diseases. The truth is that nearly every illness has likely been blogged about, discussed on forums in-depth, or publicized in academic journals online. I have personally suffered from several ailments that were unsuccessfully treated by the mainstream medical establishment, only later to have self-diagnosed and cured, either through a change in lifestyle or after having visited specific homeopathic physicians to treat my illnesses.

The internet has, among other things, helped to level the playing field between the medical cartel and the physicians and therapies that offer true health-care to individuals in need. In the coming months I will share personal anecdotes of illnesses I suffered from, and eventually healed, through exploring online resources.

10 Responses to “Medical Anarchy”

1. Randall StevensNo Gravatar says:

“…mainstream medicine isn’t all it’s quacked up to be.”

Ouch. I almost stopped reading after that. 🙂

As a semi-professional MMA fighter, I would contend that mainstream medicine isn’t even that great for trauma. I’ve broken fingers, toes, and ribs, had multiple MRSA infections, lacerations, and a busted nose. Tape and splints for the fingers and toes, antiseptic and Super Glue for cuts, silver gel for MRSA, and a health dose of suck it up you whiny little B for the ribs and nose. If it weren’t for needing a MD to prescribe antibiotics for sinus infections, I probably wouldn’t even bother with doctors any more.

2. JustSayNoToStatismNo Gravatar says:

The Medical cartel is doubly bad. There are mini cartels within it. A big problem with primary care is that it has to be supervised by a physician. The truth is that RNs and PAs can do anything a GP can do. They just don’t have “permission.” A lot of things don’t even require someone with a lot of medical training.

In a free market I see sampling as being a HUGE deal. Preventing the illnesses is what it will be about. Urine samples, blood samples…we won’t need someone with 20 years of “training” to do that. It will just get dumped into a machine and we’ll get the results. People will do this all the time as part of their health insurance contracts. But it’s too expensive to prevent now, because we get robbed if we want to do basic preventive work like this.

What we need more of is surgeons. And each branch of surgery has placed limits to how many are trained each year. We are being fleeced.

3. ThinkAnarchyNo Gravatar says:

My experience with attempting to solve my ailments online has been as bad as my experiences with some doctors. Usually online, I end up finding the worst possible reason I’m experiencing these symptoms, whether it be cancer, aids, herpes, or some obscure flesh eating disease.

I had these red scaly rashes pop up once that didn’t itch, simply looked really unattractive. After researching it I was terrified it might be a flesh eating bacteria. After seeing a nurse practitioner she told me it was harmless and could not be treated, but would simply go away on it’s own within a few days or months. Thankfully it only lasted a week.

Homeopathy seems like complete bullshit to me.

On the other hand, I tried getting Adderal (sic?) from a doctor and he kept prescribing me anti-anxiety meds. Thankfully I got a month free of both I tried before never going back to him again.

Without government, the medical field would not be as expensive as it currently is. There would be no protectionist policies protecting the physicians from competition by autodidacts.

I’ve had some really good results from homeopathy in the past. I’ll explain in further detail in future posts.

• ThinkAnarchyNo Gravatar says:

I will read it when you do, but will be very skeptical about it. I believe a few of them could actually work, but it seems the vast majority don’t. It also seems like a vast majority of the successful stories could have to do with “mind over matter.” I do believe in strong wills and positive thoughts influencing the outcome of someones illness. Essentially the placebo effect… but than I don’t think it’s right to charge someone $200 for placebo’s even if they cure the illness; despite the fact if they knew they were placebo’s they would never have worked… People are unknowingly paying for overpriced sugar pills; when they save the individuals life, they are worth the price, but when the don’t, the individual seems to have been ripped off unknowingly.

It simply seems like a paradox and I just thought about it as I typed.

I will be looking for your article though seeing as I think there are some valid forms of alternative treatments.

I’m not proofreading, so please forgive grammatical errors.

• f.zappaNo Gravatar says:

Thinking homeopathy is good for you and it isn’t only Boiron’s marketing office working really well “shows a deficiency of that spirit of investigation and criticism that should be maximally developed in anarchists”

4. Lysander SpoonerNo Gravatar says:

Almost every cronic ailment/inflamation and degenerative disease can be attributed to two things:

1. Consumption of carbohydrates/alcohol/starch/grains.
    2. Lack of sunshine on the skin (vitamin D).

Stop eating carbs and get out in the sun…The two things Your Owners (Political Terrorists) do NOT want you to do.

• Al SledgeNo Gravatar says:

While not exactly on topic, Lysander’s comment triggered a thought. For the past 50 years I have had repeated problems with bronchitus (brought on likely because of smoking, so no need to preach to me on evil tobacco that I still enjoy). However about 4 years ago I started using D3, taking 10,000IU daily. Over the entire time I have had no need to visit my local doctor for antibiotics, the usual treatment. D3 is not available locally here in any of our drug stores, so I order it by internet.

According to “medical experts” this is an extraordinary claim, but then again my life seems to be extraordinary filled with many close encounters with death.