Anarchism In America

March 25th, 2011   Submitted by Seth King

This is a gem of a find. It’s an older documentary that would have been buried deep in the annals of history were it not for the internet. I’m really impressed with the lack of any sort of bias on the part of the filmmakers. They present an equal amount of screen time to both red and yellow anarchists, as well as a shout out to the greens.

Anarchism has a rich and deep history with which I am still learning. We in the younger generation owe it to ourselves to learn our philosophical roots. It’s humbling to realize how long this struggle has lasted. I’m optimistic that we will achieve radical increases in freedom within our lifetimes. Our ancestors laid the foundation. It is our turn to stack the bricks. Enjoy!

Parts two through eight below.

14 Responses to “Anarchism In America”

1. lysander SpoonerNo Gravatar says:

I’m sure the people in ancient Greece and Rome were saying the same thing but look at those loser societies today. Democracy (Pericles) was used to enslave the retarded/gimme-gimme infantile masses and those socities have never recovered. Global Democracy is global slavery and your Owners can print up as much “money” as they want to pay armies of murdering obedient morons and construct intercontinental missles and bombs…including nuclear. The terrorists who refer to themselves as The Government also have the technology to surgically kill whoever they want from half a world away with drones, GPS, and satelites. Note how Terrorist Obama took it upon himself to murder in Libya…No pesky congress aproval required!

Individual freedom/Anarchism is hundreds of years away…Minimum.
    It will require another huge leap in evolution consciousness (Read Julian Jaynes for insight) brought on by intense survival presures.

Can you provide a link?

3. lysander SpoonerNo Gravatar says:

You can start here:

Excellent Book:
    The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind.

4. lewfaloNo Gravatar says:

lysander Spooner, you are the only other person I’ve ever seen make that connection. I’ve read Julian Jaynes’ book, and have come to the exact same conclusion.

I believe the physical brain of the majority of humans is presently not able to accept the concept of complete individual liberty and voluntary interaction under any circumstances, even though logic, reason and evidence prove they are vastly superior in terms of survival and happiness of human beings, to murder and plunder.

5. TopherNo Gravatar says:

People should not have any sort of government making rules, telling people no makes them want to do stuff that they’re not aloud. People should do things to help people not to earn a profit.

6. TopherNo Gravatar says:

Yes, but that shouldn’t be the aim of your deeds.

I’m not sure it’s that black and white. I mean look, I built this entire website to help spread the message, which will in turn help the people of the world be more free and prosperous. If I can figure out how to make enough money from it, I will be able to do it full-time, which will allow me to create more and better content, further spreading the message. If I cannot make enough money from it then it might be a signal that I am doing something wrong. Perhaps the flags I am selling aren’t desired and should sell different flags. Do you get my point? Yes, I created this website to help people, but I also need to make a profit. The profit tells me whether or not I am helping people with my content.

On the other hand, many jobs are done by people only looking out for their self interest. There is almost nobody who says to themselves “I want to wash dishes all night long so that this restaurant will do better and the customers will have clean plates to eat off of.” That’s just not how humanity functions. They wash dishes all night long because they want the money that comes along with it, so that they can get the things they want. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Much of the progress that is made in life is by people only looking out for their own self interest. And that’s okay as long as you’re not screwing people over in the process by using fraud or theft, etc.

7. TopherNo Gravatar says:

I understand, that does make sense, but I’m one of the people who does things just because somebody asked and I’m the type of guy who’s there to help any time. So people are very diverse even ones who are similar. I believe people should just relax.

8. AntoniNo Gravatar says:

I’m not a big fan of capitalism (seeing as free markets are the source of corporate greed and government corruption) but I do support the idea of anarchy in general, so I cant afford to be picky when it comes to finding others who are at least somewhat like-minded.

What’s your definition of the free-market? To me, it’s when two or more people voluntarily come together to trade their goods and services, without coercion, or a violent third party.

Corporatism does not fall under the category of free-markets since its owes its very existence to the state. Corporations are a creation of the state, being afforded special legal protections such as limited liability.

So, under my definition of free-markets one cannot blame the greed and violence of corporatism and statism on free-markets.

9. AntoniNo Gravatar says:

When you put a simple definition of trade like that, yes, there’s nothing wrong with free trade; my point is that a free market that gives too much freedom to businesses is just as bad as one that gives too little freedom. Either the businesses own you, or the government owns you in those cases.

I’ve seen first hand what corporations do when the free market lets them play with money they should not be playing with, one good example being the bailouts we had when the banks started failing.

Again, what the corporations and banks did was not a result of too much freedom, but too little. They were all operating under extreme moral hazard, because they knew that if their investments went awry that the government would bail them out. The government, of course, being able to steal from the people in order to get the money to do the bailing out.

Remember that government IS a corporation and all other corporations were created by the BIGGEST corporation of them all, government.

Don’t equate free-markets with corporations. Corporations are strictly a government created institution. Under free-markets there may be big businesses, but never corporations.

10. Antiviral medication, taken daily, very rarely, herpes infection could be transmitted
    to the infant during shipping and delivery, leading to serious
    disease. Although this is not widespread, allow your midwife or obstetrician find
    out if you’ve ever had an analysis of genital
    herpes, previously or during your pregnancy.